The Madden (Gayness) Thread

Dak

mentat
Aug 9, 2008
Among the Horrors
So Jimmy and myself are longtimes Madden fags. Anyone else?

My favorite feature has always been Franchise Mode. I like doing Front Office moves, trading/drafting etc. more than actually playing sometimes. Nothing like finding that gem in late rounds.

Anyway, I played online off and on. Madden 06 was my best online experience IIRC, because I was the shit with the QB Vision, which should have been left in the game. It got removed because people were too stupid to use it, far as I am concerned. It cut down a lot on the bs run-and-chuck-a-hail-mary play.

One problem Madden online has had that has not ever really been addressed well is a lack of weight (lol) given to disparity in player sizes. Very often there is difficulty running from a heavy set against a dime package. The linemen should be able to just bulldoze cbs and it rarely happens. This has been a problem for years.

Some of the retarded stuff I've seen online:

The dime defense bug in early 00s where the linemen wouldn't attack anyone lined up wide enough, so you could just spread out the two outside dlinemen and they wouldn't get blocked.

Lining up Tomlinson as a WR and chucking hail marys.
Randy Moss + Tom Brady. Nuff said.
Quitting after I ran back the opening kickoff for a TD. (Multiple times)
Quitting after I converted my third 3rd down in a half(the last for a TD) by completion to Witten. Bitched in chat that I was only throwing to Witten, when I had 2 other receivers with more catches(not to mention runs).

Theres been plenty more, but those were the worst.

Aw man the QB cone! damn I miss that! It was by far the most skillful induction in Madden history.

I play Madden on 360. If any of you Fags wanna get at it let me find out....

I'm wondering when the superman-like-leaping, one-handed-intercepting linebackers will be taken out of the game. This has been an issue in the game for a while as well. You will have a guy open in the hole along the sideline against a cover two, and one of the linebackers midway will leap about 4 feet in the air and pick off the pass one handed as the ball goes by, not even necessarily when having been even watching the QB.

Linebackers simply do not do that, especially not with the frequency it happens in All-Madden mode.

Tried playing Madden a few times on PS3. Maybe I am an incompetent player but I either found the game way too easy or way too difficult. I couldn't find a middle ground to make the game challenging and fun. I finally gave up on it about a year ago.

When I want to play videogame football I fire up the old Sega Genesis and pop in Sega Sports Prime Time starring Deion Sanders.:lol:

Back in the day (late 90s early 00s), the Madden community was relativily small and had some people that put a lot of work into slider settings to try and find optimal gameplay and publish their findings.

As it stands you are sort of right. Rookie-All Pro are generally too easy, and All-Madden resorts to illtimed fumbles, superhuman leaping interceptions, and coating the opponents in butter/boosting their speed to cover up for AI deficiencies.

I have tried going back and firing up Tecmo Bowl but it's so simplistic its just straight boring.

Hey Dak, you up for a game this afternoon/evening?

I bought a used copy, which was apparently missing the "code" for EA Sports online bullshit, so unless I want to fork out more cash as far as I know I can't play online. I played you on my "2 free trial days".

Everyone trying to get an extra piece of the pie. The original idea of Xbox Live was an all inclusive deal....

@KR: Why?

They fixed all the defensive problems. No more blind swats and linebackers intercepting balls underneath. They actually play in their zone and trail players/make plays on the ball/tackle. Not every play on the ball is an interception unless it's a really bad throw, a lucky bounce or you user.

Overall it plays much faster and smarter. Receivers have timing windows in their routes, your receivers actually have to look at you now in order for them to catch it. The buttons light up when they're looking for the ball. They toned down the running game. You have to hit holes. You can actually trip over/bump into your own lineman if you don't run correctly. and the QB play is fabulous. You can place the ball on a receiver's back shoulder, out toward the sideline, up high, down low, and other places where only your receiver can get it. You can throw open your receiver basically w certain pass trajectories and ball speeds, it's great!

Really? I might get it just because of the defensive adjustments. The Superman Interception by linebackers was the only GLARING flaw with M12.

:rolleyes: Must be nice to have no name DBs make 180 degree spin INTs/cause open field fumbles. :p

MY INTs were all user and that Claiborne Pick 6 was real son.