Magic: The Gathering (aka the Dork thread)

I've had some pretty solid luck this past week opening boosters.

Out of the last 10 or so packs I pulled, I've got a few cards worth at least a bit of money

Brimaz, King of Oreskos
Temple of Malice
Stormbreath Dragon

Not that I play anymore, as I haven't enjoyed the past five or six blocks. But I recently encountered this (paraphrased, of course) in my Facebook news feed.

"Blue is really unfun to play against. WotC needs to find a way to make blue more fun, and lessen it's 'denial' playstyle."

Denial (counterspells/bounce/repeated tap-down) has been a part of blue for 22 fucking years. If one is finding that blue is unfun to play against, maybe one should simply stop being a scrub and learn to play better? It's not a strategy that is hard to play around. It's people like these that are the reason there is no more playable land destruction. "Oh no my card got countered/bounced/etc. Time to whine about it rather than become a better player!"

It's true, though. Blue isn't fun to play against. I don't whine when people play blue, and Talrand is one of my favorite commander decks, but it's generally reactive and frustrating to play against compared to the other colors. It would be nice if Wizards could somehow make Esper, UB, or mono-blue control enjoyable archetypes to play against, but it's unlikely.

Yeah blue is not fun to play against, especially casually. Oh you played a second island on turn two then passed? Fuck you.

I'm not saying blue can't be frustrating to play against, because it can be.

But trying to change blue to be less control, and less reactionary, would be a mistake; a better option would be to educate newer players to better themselves, rather than whine about the state of the game.

That is true. Blue is frustrating to play against but it rarely dominates the meta. Currently in standard UB control is powerful, but mono blue is nowhere to be seen. This isn't a problem that needs fixing, just a feature of the game. That said, WotC encouraging control strategies that are more active would be nice.

M:TG NEWS
DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS

Colorless mana now has its own symbol.
"(T): Add (2) to your mana pool." no longer exists.
It is now "(T): Add (<>)(<>) to your mana pool."

They are doing the change because they believe the (1) symbol should not mean two different things in mana abilities and in costs (currently, in costs (1) means generic mana, which is "one mana of any color", in mana abilities it means one colorless mana); which is alright reasoning, so long as one is brain damaged. For the rest of us players, it's sorta an insult to our intelligence.

so i've got 4 cards left to finish my modern naya burn deck, but for all intents and purposes its done for a while since i don't feel that dropping $200 on a playset of arid mesas will help me enough atm when windswept heath will work fine for the time being

fucking reprint zendikar fetches plz

I've got a booster box of Conspiracy: Take the Throne being delivered tomorrow. Going to do some booster draft multiplayer games with friends. Should be fun from the looks of the cards. Voting, monarchs and conspiracies.

so i've got 4 cards left to finish my modern naya burn deck, but for all intents and purposes its done for a while since i don't feel that dropping $200 on a playset of arid mesas will help me enough atm when windswept heath will work fine for the time being

fucking reprint zendikar fetches plz
Burn is a nice deck for sure. Are you playing Nacatls? Personally I'm a Merfolk fanboy, been playing very little lately though even though modern is in a good spot right now, healthy metagame and all.

Burn is a nice deck for sure. Are you playing Nacatls? Personally I'm a Merfolk fanboy, been playing very little lately though even though modern is in a good spot right now, healthy metagame and all.

I don't go the nacatl route. I understand why people do, but for me what I love about burn is it is consistent. Wild Nacatl can introduce some massive explosiveness the deck otherwise couldn't have, but unless you get it turn one its nearly useless.

So I built Channelball.

It's kind of swingy. The moment I start losing life I'm fucked.

I'm thinking of removing red entirely and using Reverse the Sands instead of Fireball.

41.jpg

That way I have a bit more of a margin of error. I can just Channel myself to one and then throw a Bee Sting at them.

That sounds like an excessively mana intensive win-con.

2 green for Channel, 2 white + 6 for Reverse the Sands, and another green + 3 for bee sting.

Even if you did get it off, all that needs to happen is wait for you to Channel yourself to 1, then in response to Reverse the Sands hit you with a bolt.

EDIT: I'm assuming this is meant more for casual play anyways though.

Decks that aim to play aggressively - hit hard, fast and typically ignore what the opponent is doing unless absolutely not capable.

Most goblin and elf strategies fall under this (tho modern elves can be a bit more combo oriented.)

That sounds like an excessively mana intensive win-con.

2 green for Channel, 2 white + 6 for Reverse the Sands, and another green + 3 for bee sting.

Even if you did get it off, all that needs to happen is wait for you to Channel yourself to 1, then in response to Reverse the Sands hit you with a bolt.

EDIT: I'm assuming this is meant more for casual play anyways though.
Yeah strictly casual. I don't play tourneys anymore because I dislike modern Magic.

Man I'd like to crack a box just for fun. If I had literally anyone else to play a card game with I would. It's crazy to look at full boxes on ebay, I used to be able to find garbage boxes like Fallen Empires/Homelands (which are really fun to play vs a friend if a little stupid, imo) for like $40-50 each. Too bad it was back in the day it was difficult as fuck for me to have any extra money.