The Metal Confessional Booth

Aeresius said:
Omg, I owned like just about all of those too. Hahaha. And "the one with the baby on it" is Nevermind. It's their breakthrough, with Smells Like Teen Spirit on it. Roots baby, know em.

I remeber when I used to think I was cool because I listened to Rammstein, Nirvana, and Rob Zombie. :lol:

I need to go back in time and kick my ass.

Come now, these bands we've been listing aren't -all- that bad. They're definately not the most talented group of musicians out there, but their influence alone should earn them a little respect. I mean Nirvana for example, they became the spokesperson for the entire Gen X, and the posterboys for the Grunge scene that was dominant after the hair metal era. And Zombie, the dude's pretty inovative, if only in the "radio metal community." Rammstein was the "gateway drug" for many people into the european metal scene, were people like Yngwie rule like gods. There's always better talent out there, but those lucky enough to spark the populous have to be respected too.

Aeresius said:
but those lucky enough to spark the populous have to be respected too.
I don't know. With a lot of these, like Nirvana, for instance, it was like starting the plague. The plague got pretty popular, but I don't know how much respect it deserves. Respect somebody for spreading the disease of mediocrity? I don't think I can do it. I'm still trying to work myself up to contempt.

Duely noted, I understand what you mean. But what I'm saying is that Nirvana is not nearly as plague ridden as a few other examples that shall remain nameless. I'm sure we could all think of a few (punk). At least they were still an offshoot of rock, and not a rape of it like nowadays.

Weston427 said:
I admit to liking Evanescence right now. I USED to like Green Day, Ace of Bass (way back in the day), Offspring, the Foofighters, Collective Soul (which i still like), Deftones (can't stand em anymore), i still really like Metallica but i would never feel bad about that, and WAYYYY back in the day one of my first cd's to ever get....the Top Gun soundtrack...hey, we go through our phases.

top gun soundtrack eh? i bet "take my breath away" was your favorite song. i bet it still is...just messin with ya buddy :D well i admit to listening to some coldplay, pete yorn, and some punk bands once in awhile like zebrahead and lucky boys confussion. but that is on a very rare occation. i use to listen to the slightly older rock stuff too like pearl jam, guns and roses and stone temple pilots, but not so much anymore.

You know, why should music be considered as a plague? It's people who listen to them voluntarily, it's not like a virus that infects you. If all the people would be listening now Symphony X instead of Britney Spears, it would make no difference, as Symphony X would fade away just as any pop band does nowadays. It's not about the music, it's about the people.
BTW, Medusa's Eyes, I wouldn't consider Ozric Tentacles a guilty pleasure.... Those guys are geniouses, really. Don't insult them as being something to be ashamed about!!!:)

ElPredicador said:
You know, why should music be considered as a plague? It's people who listen to them voluntarily, it's not like a virus that infects you.
I wish that were true, but there is some music, like grunge, nu-metal, disco, emo, techno, rap (well, it's just talking, so it's just borderline "music"), and stuff, that has a tendency to strike people stupid. It's either that, or they're already stupid. I like to think positively about people, so I'll blame it on the brain-emptying nature of the music.:loco:

Hyoukinmono said:
I like to think positively about people, so I'll blame it on the brain-emptying nature of the music.:loco:
I used to think that way also.... But I found out that I can't anymore. And by the way, why would that music empty their brains and not yours?? To me the answer is simple.

ElPredicador said:
I used to think that way also.... But I found out that I can't anymore. And by the way, why would that music empty their brains and not yours?? To me the answer is simple.
Because mine is full of Symphony X, making me immune to the effects unless I make the mistake of subjecting myself to long-term exposure in some masochistic, self-destructive fit. :) Yep, the answer was simple!

Well to get back to the subject, my 'guilty pleasures' are 70's songwriters like Dan Fogelburg, Jim Croce, America, Don McClean, and Gordon Lightfoot. But afterwards I drink a manly beer, watch a Raiders game, and slap Hyoukinmono on the ass! Oh wait Hyoukinmono is a guy... :ill:

Britney Spears.

I've liked her music (well her songwriters) since about 1998 and also have her first 2 albums. I may download her 3rd and 4th albums someday. :)

rockmanxpr said:
watch a Raiders game, and slap Hyoukinmono on the ass! Oh wait Hyoukinmono is a guy... :ill:
Well, as long as the Raiders win, and it's just a quick, manly slap, I won't be too traumatized. :D Especially if it's the Broncos that are getting beat. :headbang:

If all the people would be listening now Symphony X instead of Britney Spears, it would make no difference, as Symphony X would fade away just as any pop band does nowadays.
...Yeah, but there's a difference between Symphony X and pop bands, and there's more to it than just popularity. Symphony X isn't replaceable. There aren't 20 more bands who can do what they do. They have talent, songwriting skill, and variety. How many mainstream bands can you say that about? There are a few really good ones, but for most of them, half the members of the audience at their concerts could be doing just as well if they were as good-looking and lucky.

The Offspring (it always makes my blood flow faster)
Creedence Clearwater Revival (anyone know these guys? sheer brilliance)
Notorious B.I.G. (the rapper with the most awesome voice to me)