The Metal Confessional Booth

I always thought that it is stupid to feel ashamed for liking a band. I used to like Oasis when I was much younger... big deal, right? Some ppl laugh at me because I like things like Rhapsody or Nightwish. I also like some Fleetwood Mac songs (my mother listens to them a lot ;) ), but they're actually good musicians and have written some good stuff. So f?!*in what?
Now, however, there is one band that I like and am scared to admit it :D . It's HIM. OK, there you have it. Please dont tell anyone... I know they really suck and can't play, but sometimes I just need to listen to them - I can't help it! Sometimes, when feeling down, listening to them actually helps.

OfSinsAndShred said:
...Yeah, but there's a difference between Symphony X and pop bands, and there's more to it than just popularity. Symphony X isn't replaceable. There aren't 20 more bands who can do what they do. They have talent, songwriting skill, and variety. How many mainstream bands can you say that about? There are a few really good ones, but for most of them, half the members of the audience at their concerts could be doing just as well if they were as good-looking and lucky.
And what difference does it make? They would just be listening unconsciously (sp?).
Besides, it makes no difference talking about this, since Symphony X will never get popular. Here in my country, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica and the like have become very popular in 14-18 year olds; and because of that here the older metalheads don't like those bands, or if they do, they don't tell when you ask what do they listen to. You know, power metal in general has received the name "happy metal" because all these new fans.
And still this new breed of metalheads don't go farther than Sonata Arctica, or (maybe) DT. They just don't like it.

ElPredicador said:
You know, power metal in general has received the name "happy metal" because all these new fans.
ElPredicador, I'm starting to get the feeling that you don't like happy things. What's wrong with happy things? I personally like being happy, and listening to happy things. Feeling happy sure beats feeling crappy, that's for sure.

Happy, happy, joy, joy! Happy, joy, joy!:D

ErikSchierboom said:
The Offspring (it always makes my blood flow faster)
Creedence Clearwater Revival (anyone know these guys? sheer brilliance)
Notorious B.I.G. (the rapper with the most awesome voice to me)

Has anyone heard of them? CCR rules, are you kidding me? Fortunate son, although I don't necessarily agree with its political message, still rocks.

"B.I.G.P.O.P.P.A. No info for the D.E.A. Federal agents mad cause I'm flagrant. Tap my cell, and the phone in the basement."

Anyone heard of CCR? How couldn't you? Ever see any movie/documentary about the 60s or Vietnam? They all have CCR montages. :D CCR's freakin' great... but I'm a classic rocker so I guess my tastes are inclined toward them.

Hyoukinmono said:
ElPredicador, I'm starting to get the feeling that you don't like happy things. What's wrong with happy things? I personally like being happy, and listening to happy things. Feeling happy sure beats feeling crappy, that's for sure.

Happy, happy, joy, joy! Happy, joy, joy!:D
Well, it's not me who invented the name :p. That name (I think) refers to being the opposite of heavier metal (black, death, doom, etc).

By the way, where was that song from?? I can't remember...

ccr is definately not a guilty pleasure, its just a pleasure to listen to hands down

ok so i would have to say the darkness, its just so refreshing to see a band on mtv that can play. Though hair metal died in the 80s and shouldnt try to rise again

Smoke and Fire said:
I always thought that it is stupid to feel ashamed for liking a band. I used to like Oasis when I was much younger... big deal, right? Some ppl laugh at me because I like things like Rhapsody or Nightwish. I also like some Fleetwood Mac songs (my mother listens to them a lot ;) ), but they're actually good musicians and have written some good stuff. So f?!*in what?
Now, however, there is one band that I like and am scared to admit it :D . It's HIM. OK, there you have it. Please dont tell anyone... I know they really suck and can't play, but sometimes I just need to listen to them - I can't help it! Sometimes, when feeling down, listening to them actually helps.
Wow, kudos for admitting that man!
When I went to visit my parents for X-mas last year I stayed at a friend and his girlfriend and she loved HIM. He (HIM) must have been in the CD player the whole time. God do I hate him (HIM) now.

Wicked Inferno said:
Though hair metal died in the 80s and shouldnt try to rise again

No way! I'm gettin a perm! Haha, not really. But the hair era ruled.

And the Darkness shouldn't be a guilty pleasure either, cause they really got a whole Page/Freddy Mercury thing going, crazy rock.

CCR! to this day not only are they good, but it's the best damn driving/Road trip music there is! But the one odd thing about them is they are labeled as Swamp rock and singing about the Bayous. they're from El Cerrito, i live in california THERE ARE NO SWAMPS IN EL CERITO!:loco: It's all dry heat there!

OfSinsAndShred said:
...Yeah, but there's a difference between Symphony X and pop bands, and there's more to it than just popularity. Symphony X isn't replaceable. There aren't 20 more bands who can do what they do. They have talent, songwriting skill, and variety. How many mainstream bands can you say that about? There are a few really good ones, but for most of them, half the members of the audience at their concerts could be doing just as well if they were as good-looking and lucky.

:headbang: i completely agree with you there man! but i also agree with ElPredicador in that symphony x will never be that popular due to the simple fact that there just isn't a big enough following for their style of music. which i think is for all the better. makes our style of music that much more special and personal :)

Aeresius said:
No way! I'm gettin a perm! Haha, not really. But the hair era ruled.

And the Darkness shouldn't be a guilty pleasure either, cause they really got a whole Page/Freddy Mercury thing going, crazy rock.

hell yeah! the darkness is the shit! what a crazy band. refreshing new sound i'de say. and hair bands were part of what rock was all about! i'de say go for the perm dude :D

:wave:
wicked34 said:
hell yeah! the darkness is the shit! what a crazy band. refreshing new sound i'de say. and hair bands were part of what rock was all about! i'de say go for the perm dude :D

They suck, I cant stand their singer, and honestly, its not a new sound, ever hear of a band called ACDC? Just my opionion tho, Dont flame =/ Im just a boy. :wave: