The monopoly that is Ticketmaster! (and why I may not see Opeth this tour)

rgbeach

Feb 11, 2002
Chicago
www.hexology.com
So, I'm going to ticketmaster.com to buy 3 tickets for the upcoming Opeth show at House of Blues in Chicago. Tickets are moderately priced at $16 a piece, whcih I'm happy to pay to support Opeth. Of course, there is an additional $1 facility charge for each ticket, which goes directly to HOB, which is also fine. If HOB can make money off bands like Opeth, then more bands like Opeth will play at HOB!

The shocker is the $6.75 convenience charge, per ticket, that ticketmaster charges! That's over 40% of the base ticket price! It's a total crime.

I don't know why I continue to be surprised at these ridiculous fees. As a good friend of mine said, Ticketmaster controls the majority of shows in Chicago and certainly in most other major metro areas. Talk about a monopoly.

I shan't be using them again.

Beach

fuuuck that! man what a rip off. i only had a $4.75 surcharge, which still sucks but is nothing compared to what you have to pay. sorry to hear that man..

If you buy your tickets in person at a Ticketmaster outlet, like at a Tower records, there is no convenience charge. I do that as often as I can. So, just a note. 'Course, if there is not one in your area, then you HAVE to go online......but check your local grocery store, record store etc.....you might find they have a little outlet in the store. Anyway, this is not a defense for Ticketmaster, a business I think thoroughly sucks in every way possible. The charges they add on are outrageous; the bastards.

ElectricWiz said:
If you buy your tickets in person at a Ticketmaster outlet, like at a Tower records, there is no convenience charge.

I did...There was a $5.25 convienience charge for the $16 ticket. The only way to dodge the ticketmaster charge is to avoid ticketmaster and buy direct from the venue box office.

The problem with Ticketmaster is that it's nearly impossible for any new company to come along that will even be able to compete with them, much less overtake them.

I went to Carson's in The Harlem/Irving Plaza to get mine and it was like $23.49 or something. The fees they charge over the internet are rediculous. Like Xes said, the best way is to buy from the HOB box office next time. But this Opeth, so I'd pay the internet fees anyway. Whoever's going to the Chicago show, I shall see you there.

AllWithinMyMonster said:
tower record ticketmaster outlets give charges too. But its all worth it. 6 bucks isnt much
It's not that I can't afford the extra $6 per ticket, but when you consider that I'm purchasing 3 tickets the fees go beyond $20 in total. I guess, for me, the value of the convenience of purchasing tickets through Ticketmaster is far less than $6 per ticket.

Most of the local clubs in the Bay Area don't use Ticketmaster anymore. The Pound certainly doesn't. That's 80% of the good shows right there. :bah:

As for going in-store, ticketmaster charges their fees, absolutely.

Okay, now you REALLY can't bitch. I went and bought my Helloween ticket for the LA gig today at Tower Records, who is an official outlet. The Key Club website says the tickets are $20 in advance. Ticketmaster charged $25 for a ticket, then a $9.15 service charge! And that's not going through the internet! I paid basically $35 for a $20 show. I could've almost gotten two tickets. Be happy with your $4.75 service charge.

I bought my ticket for the SF Opeth show at the local The Wherehouse here. It was 20 bucks plus 6 dollars or something. I dont' care where the money goes, 26 bucks isn't alot of money for me to see one of my favorite bands.