The mosh pit subject...

Arkham_Asylum

New Metal Member
Feb 22, 2012
I know this has been spoken about here before....

Does PP still enforce the "no mosh rule" ???

what brings this up is I went to ICED EARTH / SYMPHONY X the other night (great show) and I suspected ICED EARTH to have mosh pits (which happened) but didn't expect for SYMPHONY X really & Even Russell asked the audience for a "circle pit" and they definetly got one and half of their set had mosh pits.

I know that a lot of Progpower fans are not too thrilled for the mosh pit thing but I know a lot of metal fans in general just don't care...

I think it's fine if kids wanna mosh, but moshing should be BEHIND the prime viewing area. This rarely happens, but it was pretty nice the few times it did. Of course, venue designs usually result in the dance floor being centered in front of the stage to begin with, so there's not much one can do about it.

I've seen Symphony X five times and they had moshing all but the first time. I was more surprised to see moshing at Nightwish and Sonata Arctica, two bands who are lighter than Symphony X.

and finally....Circle Moshing Rules!

Where do you live? I haven't been to shows all over the US, but I have heard from kids who get around a lot that the prevalance of circle pits goes up significantly as you move away from the east coast and towards the west coast. (In the punk & hardcore scenes)

D.R.I. is touring in March and that's gonna be a blast.

I take it on a case by case basis depending on the band and the ability of the crowd to police itself. I cannot control every person at all times.

I did allow it for Forbidden as it was expected. I would not allow it for SX. This is an older crowd and they there to actually watch and enjoy the musicianship on display. They didn't pay $125 to get have 1 or 2 cunthammers go into windmill seizures because they think it's cool.

For the record, I think it's stupid as fuck to mosh to anyone other than a thrash band or a heavy power metal band.

I take it on a case by case basis depending on the band and the ability of the crowd to police itself. I cannot control every person at all times.

I did allow it for Forbidden as it was expected. I would not allow it for SX. This is an older crowd and they there to actually watch and enjoy the musicianship on display. They didn't pay $125 to get have 1 or 2 cunthammers go into windmill seizures because they think it's cool.

For the record, I think it's stupid as fuck to mosh to anyone other than a thrash band or a heavy power metal band.

Would you allow it for a bands like Grave Digger, Nevermore, or Primal Fear?

Would you allow it for a bands like Grave Digger, Nevermore, or Primal Fear?

Nevermore would be appropriate (as we did have some for Sanctuary on a small scale).

However, my answer is no on the others. Primal Fear have played twice and we had no moshing with them.

Honestly, if you are coming to the festival with the intent to mosh no matter what, save your money as you will get tossed out. ProgPower USA is not that kind of crowd.

I'd suggest Maryland Deathfest up the road for a good quality bludgeoning.

There is a show coming to Chicago with Midnight / Gates of Slumber / Scythe......they have a disclaimer on the flyer reading....
"Lets Keep It Metal...No Moshing". I love it.

There are certain bands like thrash and stuff where it works. Nothing worse than at a power metal show or a traditional metal show where it happens with like 3 guys running into everyone. So many shows as of late have been ruined because of this.

Nevermore would be appropriate (as we did have some for Sanctuary on a small scale).

However, my answer is no on the others. Primal Fear have played twice and we had no moshing with them.

Honestly, if you are coming to the festival with the intent to mosh no matter what, save your money as you will get tossed out. ProgPower USA is not that kind of crowd.

I'd suggest Maryland Deathfest up the road for a good quality bludgeoning.

I understand your concern and do see where you are coming from ... i imagine most progpower fans are not that kind of crowd...

I guess overall the latin/hispanic metal fans , we are different. In Mexico I have seen plenty of progpower shows where the fans mosh violently as if they were watching CANNIBAL CORPSE or SLAYER. I seen UDO, MAGO DE OZ, HADA DE BENG, ANABANTHA, ANGELES DEL INFIERNO, NIGHTWISH, and other lighter melodic prog/power/goth metal bands in Mexico and tend to all have those brutal mosh pits.

in Mexico and tend to all have those brutal mosh pits.

Understandable. If I were in Mexico, I would expect it and respect it. If I were at a death metal show here in the States, I would as well.

ProgPower USA is one of the most unique settings in the world for a festival and I plan on keeping it that way.

A mosh pit happened during a Blind Guardian show, once. I was very confused. >_>

:lol:

I typically am not a fan of mosh pits at all. In fact, even in Brazil I don't recall moshing being as popular as other Latin American countries such as Mexico, Colombia, etc.

That being said, Angrafan and I opened a pit during a The Gathering show once in NYC. It was during the heaviest part of Black Light District, I think (lol). That was funny. They are probably the last band in the world someone would mosh too, but their live show was intense and it actually felt somewhat appropriate. Quite a few people joined in, and it must have lasted one entire minute... :lol:

I'm much more of a thrash metal guy than proggresive or power metal to be sure. I would gladly rather be at an Overkill or Slayer show than Symphony X or Evergray 99% of the time. That being said I'd like to point out that mosh pits annoy me. I know I'm now in danger of having my "metal membership" revoked but I gotta say that I love the no moshing rule. If I'm at a Slayer show then I have to expect moshing and plan accordingly not to get caught in the pit. But when I attend Progpower, I expect a different atmosphere and don't want to worry about a few people ruining my enjoyment of any particular band. Headbanging....yes! Moshing....no. ;)

ProgPower USA is one of the most unique settings in the world for a festival and I plan on keeping it that way.

Amen! Moshing was fine when I was 18, which was many years past. I like standing on the floor, and I don't like getting run over (or getting pushed against the raised floor of the sound booth).

Steve in Philly

Understandable. If I were in Mexico, I would expect it and respect it. If I were at a death metal show here in the States, I would as well.

I totally agree here, I live in Mexico too, and been at PP twice (IX and XI), and had really enjoyed the fest, as you said I go to PP min mainly to enjoy listening to music, seeing the band without expecting someone in my back or throwing beer all the time and because of the whole friendly envioremente at PP (a lot of great dudes and yes most of them between (30 adn 40 years), maybe I´m getting old but since I was young I go to concerts to enjoy the music and the band performance not to act like an idiot (I respect people that do mosh or slam but sometimes some dudes act like asholes even hurting people).

See ya and hope to see you at PP XIII.

That being said, Angrafan and I opened a pit during a The Gathering show once in NYC. It was during the heaviest part of Black Light District, I think (lol). That was funny. They are probably the last band in the world someone would mosh too, but their live show was intense and it actually felt somewhat appropriate. Quite a few people joined in, and it must have lasted one entire minute... :lol:

PIX or complete shenanigans!

It is absolutely true! His girlfriend at the time, Paula, also participated. It was in a tiny club in New York, the Knitting Factory, in 2006. The only thing he is wrong about is the song: It was during the double bass part in the middle of Eleanor.

Regarding South American mosh pits: Yeah, they will mosh to anything that is somewhat heavy or fast. During a Blind guardian concert it's actually non-stop, from beggining to end. They mosh to Stratovarius, Savatage or Shaman.
But it should be noted: It's a fun, loving mosh pit. Not even close to being as violent as death metal mosh pits in the USA. It consists of kids jumping around, bumping into each other or running in circles.

ProgPower is no place for moshing, it just doesn't fit the vibe of the fest.