The mosh pit debate.....

Angrafan said:
But power metal is "moshable".. =P
We can agree to disagree.

To me, moshing is a spontaneous reaction to the aggressive/violent/angry nature of the music. I don't see Power Metal inherently aggressive/violent/angry. I mean, what is there to be angry about? That no one has saved the princess from the dragon yet?

Zod

General Zod said:
We can agree to disagree.

To me, moshing is a spontaneous reaction to the aggressive/violent/angry nature of the music. I don't see Power Metal inherently aggressive/violent/angry. I mean, what is there to be angry about? That no one has saved the princess from the dragon yet?

Zod

That's pretty good. :D

Here's a personal opinion:

I like moshing. Hell I've cleared pits at Morbid Angel and Suffocation (probabally because I don't do it for the violence and it pisses others off... or they want to "hurt the girl" and I push back). BUT there is a time and a place for it. Paying $25 for a ticket to see a band that I've seen a handful of times before, yeah I want to listen to the music... but it's not as if I've never seen the band live before.

Paying $100+ for a ticket, plus hotel, plus airfare and seeing bands that I'll likely never see play in the US again... NO MOSHING. I'm there for the music. Besides there's something so cool about going to the top row of seats of the ELL and seeing the entire floor pounding fists and bobbing heads in total unison.

-Metal

I will agree with Glenn, I like moshing here and there at local shows, but not at PP. And thats the bottom line because the Biffle said so.

In my opinion, there has not been a single band that has ever played Prog-Power that warrants a pit. Save it for the Cryptopsy tour.

Barking Pumpkin said:
In my opinion, there has not been a single band that has ever played Prog-Power that warrants a pit. Save it for the Cryptopsy tour.

I would say that bands such as Rage and Manticora would warrant a pit. I don't think a band has to scream their lungs out to be considered heavy and energetic enough to be pit worthy. Just my opinion though.

On a side note, did anyone notice the little pit near the front during Therion? It was right behind me and kept pushing me into the poor people in front of me. It pissed me off and I see why pits aren't allowed at Progpower.

I'd be more entertained in seeing a circle of headbangers like at the Opeth/COB show here in Detroit. When COB played Needled 24/7 every sumbitch on that floor was bashing their head in unison. It was like a chorus line of hair. Like an anti-Vegas-showgirls demonstration of long-haired METAL.

I shed a tear of joy.

Harvester said:
I could give two tugs of a dead dog's cock about them.
Glenn H.

hmm, now that's something I've never heard before, thanks for the visual lol.:puke:

by the way...one of the dudes I saw moshing was a band member, he wasnt in any of the prog power bands but he does show up on the Prog Power magazine thingy....

The_Kinslayer said:
On a side note, did anyone notice the little pit near the front during Therion? It was right behind me and kept pushing me into the poor people in front of me. It pissed me off and I see why pits aren't allowed at Progpower.

Don't know if you're male or female, but I did have some guy get pushed forward and knock into me when that (pitiful) pit got started. I felt worse for the guy who didn't want to be in the pit than me since I got the light end of it. At Therion in Poughkeepsie there were a ton of people moshing (as they were like 50 people at the show) and I kept on having these retarded guys run into me and one guy spilled his beer on me. They weren't even moshing. They were just running full speed into each other and pushing them into the crowd. It was really a poor display of drunken testosterone.

Hey anyone out there have either the Blind Guardian , Primal frear, or Rage dvd?

In those dvd's if you pay attention to the crowds you will see people running into each other moshing and doing the whole crowd surfing thing.

Which is surprisinh because usually the mosh pits happen more in America then they do in Europe.

I think power metal is aggressive enough for a mosh pit.

I had friends tell me that there was a huge mosh pit for Dream theater during the Gigan tour!

I also remember the mosh pit i was in for Nevermore once. Not very violent but just some good fun.

I think mosh pits are cool as long as you have no intention of hurting someone or making violence.

I read interviews where Into Eternity and Mercenary say they encourage mosh pits.

Bryan316 said:
I'd be more entertained in seeing a circle of headbangers like at the Opeth/COB show here in Detroit. When COB played Needled 24/7 every sumbitch on that floor was bashing their head in unison. It was like a chorus line of hair. Like an anti-Vegas-showgirls demonstration of long-haired METAL.

I shed a tear of joy.

Bryan, you are so metal....:headbang: :p

Though there are varying degrees to the intensity of moshing, I'm just not that aggressive of a guy to get involved in any of it. When I go to a concert, I'm paying to watch the band perform and to hear their music. If I want to get physical, I'll take up boxing. If it wasn't for the idiots during Rage's set two years ago, I would have stayed for the whole set. There's a difference between releasing your energy while listening to heavy music and just acting mindlessly becuase you hear heavy music.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Met-Al said:
Though there are varying degrees to the intensity of moshing, I'm just not that aggressive of a guy to get involved in any of it. When I go to a concert, I'm paying to watch the band perform and to hear their music. If I want to get physical, I'll take up boxing. If it wasn't for the idiots during Rage's set two years ago, I would have stayed for the whole set. There's a difference between releasing your energy while listening to heavy music and just acting mindlessly becuase you hear heavy music.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Agreed. And why I don't think moshing really fits with any of the Prog-Power bands. Headbanging, maybe. Moshing, no.

i love to get up and jump around, get real into the music, but also, i like to do it in an environment where people are cool with each other about it. when it becomes a punch and shove fest, that's just stupid. i'm here for the music, not a brawl