The mosh pit subject...

Out of all moshpits I've ever seen, two will forever stay in my mind:

Slayer/Pantera/Morbid Angel (2001, the Extreme Steel Tour, New Haven Coliseum). The whole entire GA level (the arena's floor) was a pit. The arena was huge. The floor was huge. The brutality levels were... well.. huge.

Lamb of God (forget which tour and year). I remember seeing many martial arts moves I had never seen before. In fact, I swear to God Ryu and Ken from Street Fighter were in that pit. I just can't see normal people doing those moves. :lol:

Out of all moshpits I've ever seen, two will forever stay in my mind:

Slayer/Pantera/Morbid Angel (2001, the Extreme Steel Tour, New Haven Coliseum). The whole entire GA level (the arena's floor) was a pit. The arena was huge. The floor was huge. The brutality levels were... well.. huge.

Lamb of God (forget which tour and year). I remember seeing many martial arts moves I had never seen before. In fact, I swear to God Ryu and Ken from Street Fighter were in that pit. I just can't see normal people doing those moves. :lol:

haha Ok I guess you did. Dude, come see an Orlando local HxC show. Young Hardcore kids these days should just be wearing belts and robes. No shitting man.

OH FUCK HERE COMES THE SHARK!!!

***kids start flipping out - literally***

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it on a case by case basis depending on the band and the ability of the crowd to police itself. I cannot control every person at all times.

I did allow it for Forbidden as it was expected. I would not allow it for SX. This is an older crowd and they there to actually watch and enjoy the musicianship on display. They didn't pay $125 to get have 1 or 2 cunthammers go into windmill seizures because they think it's cool.

For the record, I think it's stupid as fuck to mosh to anyone other than a thrash band or a heavy power metal band.

Do you expect there to be a bit more this year with some of the heavier acts, Mayan, Primordial and Solution 45?

Is it that time already? Seems every few months there is a discussion about moshing and those who are no stranger to the pit get to tell some stories and reflect on classic shows, while others whine about metal shows being a f@#kin metal show.
However yes it does have it's place and in front of the power metal band is usually not it. Most of those people you see in those cases are idiots who know no better or think that is what they are suppose to do since they are at the metal show.
The pit and moshing was short of an art; yes I know how cheesy that sounds. But you really had to know what you were doing. I have seen many a tough guy and jock not able to handle a good pit.
Think somewhere in the 90s the idea of moshing got all screwy, I personally blame it on alternative culture. Ok so Nirvana was punk rock but moshing at Pearl Jam shows? Hell kids would try to start pits at Julianna Hatfield for Christ's sake. Seemed the pit had become just a thing you do at a concert like sticking a BIC in air during the ballad.
Forbidden called for a pit, Saxon is headbanging, and Symphony X is a good time to sleep (as I did through therr set twice) :lol:
I do agree with Peleta though and well put; if the band needs to ask for a pit then they probably don't need one.

You know, the worst moshpit I've ever seen was at Webster Hall for GHOST of all bands. I mean, it made no sense to me, but the entire crowd was completely-rearranged by the end of the set due to how small the place was and how intense people were pitting. It made absolutely no sense to me. I've been to hardcore shows and seen less intense pit-action.

Do you expect there to be a bit more this year with some of the heavier acts, Mayan, Primordial and Solution 45?

I can see it happening with all of them to a certain extent because of the tone of the music fits. I see it lasting a minute or two at various times pending the song. I don't see it being a full on pit for the entire show like Forbidden.

I will repeat once again. If there are just 1 or 2 fucktards stirring up shit & pissing everyone off, they will be directed to bodyfuck the wall by security.

I can see it happening with all of them to a certain extent because of the tone of the music fits. I see it lasting a minute or two at various times pending the song. I don't see it being a full on pit for the entire show like Forbidden.

I will repeat once again. If there are just 1 or 2 fucktards stirring up shit & pissing everyone off, they will be directed to bodyfuck the wall by security.

There is zero doubt in my mind that native Southerners know how to turn a phrase. :lol:

Yeah, I do agree that depending on the show it is okay. The one time it REALLY pissed me off though was when I saw Therion in Chicago and people were moshing near the stage. It didn't make much sense to me.

Yeah, I do agree that depending on the show it is okay. The one time it REALLY pissed me off though was when I saw Therion in Chicago and people were moshing near the stage. It didn't make much sense to me.
Therion??? :guh: Only if they were playing their old Death metal songs, but even then...

You know, the worst moshpit I've ever seen was at Webster Hall for GHOST of all bands. I mean, it made no sense to me, but the entire crowd was completely-rearranged by the end of the set due to how small the place was and how intense people were pitting. It made absolutely no sense to me. I've been to hardcore shows and seen less intense pit-action.

I've seen moshing break out at any kind of show. The weirdest one I can remember is seeing a pit at a damn Dokken show in the 90's.
The most intense pit I have ever seen is when Tool did a warmup show here in Vegas at the small Huntridge Theater for their Aenima album. I'm no pushover, I'm 6'5" 260, I can more than handle myself and it had me a bit nervous. Ending up breaking a rib.
Seriously I believe there is a time and place for pits but not at ProgPower.

I'm sure I've mentioned this here before, but at the last Sy-X show I went to, at the now defunct Pearl Room in Mokena, IL, I ended up having some young punk cheapshot me in the lower back. Ended up pissing (lots of) blood the next morning and off to the ER I went... Now I get pretty violent about it, and in order to preserve my clean police record, I will leave it at that. :heh: At a thrash,punk,hardcore show, I'd fully expect it, and be a bit more aware. It also seems that moshers looking out for other moshers isn't as common as it was in the "old" days. Maybe they have a new creed, or something....

As for most intense, that would probably be the time I saw Amon Amarth and was in the front. Damn near the first 4-5 rows of people almost fell the fuck over due to the craziness. That show also had the most amount of crowd surfing I've ever seen.

Sometimes I get the moshing bug at a show if the pit is good and the riffs inspire me. Most recently that was during "Indians" at the Anthrax show earlier this month. I might even join in during the tail end of Iced Earth on Sunday if the pit is good and isn't two or three "fuckwads."

Maryland Deathfest was mentioned as well. Moshing is mixed there. The outdoor sets are actually on concrete and asphalt as it's right in the middle of a shutdown street, so moshing can get a little brutal if you're not careful. The other thing is there are a TON of crowd surfers ALWAYS, so you have to keep your eye on the security. Crowd surfing and stage diving are fun as hell, but only in moderation I think. My favorite stage diving experience was during the band Origin, when they basically said "our stage is your stage!"

I went to a thrash show last week here that was the fun kind of thrash/the fun kind of moshing. They had an actual boogie board for people to crowd surf in the most literal way.

Maryland Deathfest was mentioned as well. Moshing is mixed there. The outdoor sets are actually on concrete and asphalt as it's right in the middle of a shutdown street, so moshing can get a little brutal if you're not careful. The other thing is there are a TON of crowd surfers ALWAYS, so you have to keep your eye on the security. Crowd surfing and stage diving are fun as hell, but only in moderation I think. My favorite stage diving experience was during the band Origin, when they basically said "our stage is your stage!"

When I was at MAGFest this year, there was a lot of crowd surfing. I ended up getting nailed in the back of the head by a crowd surfer that came up from behind me.

When I was at MAGFest this year, there was a lot of crowd surfing. I ended up getting nailed in the back of the head by a crowd surfer that came up from behind me.

One of the guys from Holy Grail stage dove into the crowd at Jaxx, last year. He almost crushed me. x_x Then I almost got crushed by a giant man trying to mosh during Blind Guardian.

I really need to get some bigger shoes.