The most beautiful song in your opinion?

Zack, good call on Shawn Lane, the guy (along with Stu Hamm) defines "favorable fat-to-talent ratio." That song was really nice, the whammy bar stuff especially, and a gorgeous guitar, but there were just a bit too many bluesy licks in there for my tastes (that just make me groan rather than swoon), and I couldn't get past the fact that that one lick he plays a few times is the first notes of "Morning has Broken" :lol:

Of course there is no "the most beautiful song" but what came to my mind right now is:

Stevie Ray Vaughan playing "Little Wing"

Nah, for film music, nothing comes close to the "heroic mournful 'the force' theme" from the original Star Wars trilogy, come on now (I mean the theme that plays when Luke comes out of his Tatooine hut and looks at the twin suns in "A New Hope," among many other times)

Neurosis - The Eye Of Every Storm/Under The Surface/Burn/Given To The Rising.
ALL gems.

Jeff Buckley - Grace..

And lots more, there are some for every moment ;)

Hahaha dude...

I didn't even read your post before I posted mine. Good to see that some other grind-loving, blast-beat loving metal guys dig Jeff.

-Joe

Neurosis - The Eye Of Every Storm/Under The Surface/Burn/Given To The Rising.
ALL gems.

if we're going for "beautiful" sounding neurosis, i have to go with a sun that never sets...and no, i can't pick one song

one song that's always turned me to mush is APC - 3 libras

I'll post a few of my recent favorites:

Dante's Prayer - Loreena Mckennitt
Adagio for Strings - Barber (previously mentioned)
Prélude to Unveiled Hope - Michael Card
Miserere Mei, Deus - Allegri
Cello Concerto in E minor - Elgar

And a ton of others but those are a few good ones.

i'm gonna really date myself, but....

April Wine - "Just Between You and Me" sticks out years and years later.

The guitar is deadly..

I would say either "Tiny Tears" by Devin Townsend or "Who Wants to Live Forever" by Queen

3rd place for me might be "March of Time" by Helloween, don't know why, I just fucking love it

I'd have to go with a tie between-

Cult of Luna- Following Betulas
Between the Buried and Me- Mordeci (the ending is just amazing)
The Ocean- Rhyacian

Tough call, but. . . for me it's

Theatre of Tragedy - "On Whom the Moon Doth Shine"

The spacy echoed guitars in the beginning and the place where the vocals kick in. Gotta love that!