The new chat thread - now with bitter arguing

but I never ever have time to watch it before it gets released on DVD.

I can't speak for Matse, but it's not like most of us watch shows, like, the night they air. For most of my time I couldn't anyway because I live in Italy and non-dubbed shows don't air period. But even if I could, that wouldn't make much sense: I have better things to do at night than watch silly shows!*

*I play silly videogames.

Sure, I am such a couch potatoe. I sit in front of the TV all day long. I spend two or three hours per week watching TV + currently three series I watch on my PC. Did I just say hours per week? I meant two or three hours per ... uhm ... hour. Please forgive me for ever watching something wrong on the TV, oh dear god of taste buds Plinnyboy. You know you are such a cute little god using all that bad language. I would love to cuddle you.

just in case anyone thinks I am mad, when I write posts like this, I am usually in a very good mood

*I play silly videogames.

My pile of movies and games is about to reach the ceiling :) Can't believe shit gets stolen for 360 sooner than it used to be picked up for PC!

On topic: tracking new TV series is already hitting the deadbeat low; this isn't a measurement, but I haven't heard about HOUSE MD till season 4 or something (24 - till season 5) and never watched an episode, simply no time.

Trying to find time to play Dead Space at night - it's SO much scarier with not being able to control Issac properly (I'm gamepad challenged). One of the best sound designs I've seen (I'm in the early stages of the game, but it's already made me... uneasy).

And, of course, WAR FTW! *rahvin should pick up a copy*

Videogames > TV, as it's more of a participation after all (not the bottom line, but anyway).

OK, friendly advice: if you like Family Guy - watch Episode 1 of Season 7.

It's funnier than entire Season 6... and quite a few episodes before that ;)

the german language is a bit ouch. i just discovered that the word for "speed limit" is about 45 letters long, which is probably why there's no such thing on German highways.

At least we only need one word for it. "Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung" (26 letters if I counted right)
About one third of the German highways has a speed limit (usually 120, sometimes 100, every now and then 80). Average speed in the non-limited areas is about 130-140 km/h. Of course some drive faster and some slower. Germans also usually drive about 10-15% above speed limits.

Germans also usually drive about 10-15% above speed limits.

It's about the same here in Quebec. All our highways have a speed limit of 100km/h but the general rule is to add 20% to whatever speed limit sign we see. A few more years and they'll be teaching that in driving school.

At least we only need one word for it. "Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung" (26 letters if I counted right)
About one third of the German highways has a speed limit (usually 120, sometimes 100, every now and then 80). Average speed in the non-limited areas is about 130-140 km/h. Of course some drive faster and some slower. Germans also usually drive about 10-15% above speed limits.

Yes, yes, rahvin and I know all about that. :p

Would you mind teaching me German? You know, one short sentence at a time. I need to be able to do grocery shopping by January 15, so anything that has to do with meat cuts and vegetables is strongly preferred.

PM me whatever you need to know and I will help you.

First sentence:
I would like to have x grams of meat (in slices/in one piece).
Ich hätte gerne x Gramm Fleisch (in Scheiben/am Stück) (easy version: point your finger at it and say the amount of grams :)).
Numbers:
http://german.about.com/library/blzahlen.htm

Just in case you haven't realized: German is one of the hardest languages to learn since it is full of exceptions and different verb forms. I think it may be comparable to French in terms of difficulty.

Just in case you haven't realized: German is one of the hardest languages to learn since it is full of exceptions and different verb forms. I think it may be comparable to French in terms of difficulty.
People shouldn't be complaining about the difficulty of languages that share the same alphabet.

I am curious, which languages do you all speak?
As for me: German, English, some French.

People shouldn't be complaining about the difficulty of languages that share the same alphabet.

I have to disagree with this. Japanese has a different "alphabet" (syllabary), but German is much more difficult to learn. German is probably the most difficult language to learn for anyone who is not a native speaker (as Matse already said). And IMO it's more difficult then French.

Damn the prepositions that use both Acc. and Dat. :Smug: , and damn the declensions! :Smug:

Spanish, English (bilingual), Japanese (Mid-intermediate), German (B1), and some French, Italian, Latin and Norsk (Norwegian) :) .

Don't give up learning German though. I met an Italian student in the train to Milan and she spoke perfect German. I wouldn't have noticed she is not German if she hadn't told me.

My respect to anyone who speaks many languages. I will probably stay with the three I have now and I am currently trying to bring my French to an at least decent level.

Don't give up learning German though. I met an Italian student in the train to Milan and she spoke perfect German. I wouldn't have noticed she is not German if she hadn't told me.

My respect to anyone who speaks many languages. I will probably stay with the three I have now and I am currently trying to bring my French to an at least decent level.

Oh no never. I first started learning because my grandpa was from Germany (Rostock), and I have really developed a passion for it. It's really difficult, but IMO it is a very passionate language and definitely worth learning. Next year will be tough because I will be teaching, doing the M.A., and studying German. I was thinking about stopping, but my "Jedi professor" told me that I should continue, so well I decided to do so :) . It'll be hard though :Smug: .

And thanks :) .

English first and foremost (obviously). I have two years of Spanish (not fluent but reasonable, I could get around in Mexico), one year of French (I remember basic phrases but I'm still touristy), one year of Latin which I will continue this upcoming semester, one year of German in which I butchered and failed that class (extenuating circumstances) and a brief affair with Swedish that I hope to continue at some point in the future.

I might touch on German in the future also, just so I can berate Matse in his native tongue.

English, Russian, Belarusian, C++, can understand Polish and Ukranian, sign and body language.

And bad versions of all, naturally.

I speak decent Finnish and English, plus some finlandssvenska, and understand German and Swedish quite well when written or spoken slowly - when I try to speak either, I usually end up speaking English these days, but I suppose that would change if I spent a few days in proper environment. I also know the basics of Latin, and can follow untranslated Japanese TV-shows (anime, mainly) surprisingly well.

and damn the declensions! :Smug:

You should try learning Finnish some day. :heh: There are a plenty of declensions many native Finnish speakers don't know how to use.

-Villain

English, Russian, Belarusian, C++, can understand Polish and Ukranian, sign and body language.

And bad versions of all, naturally.

It's really cool that you know sign language, but which? US English or what? Because there are a lot of varieties.

follow untranslated Japanese TV-shows (anime, mainly) surprisingly well.

You should try learning Finnish some day. :heh: There are a plenty of declensions many native Finnish speakers don't know how to use.

-Villain

Hehe well Anime usually uses simple Japanese, and I don't really recommend learning Japanese through Anime to be honest. It's too informal and they add "-chyuus" and "-yahous" etc. to many words, and that is not used in real life amongst "normal" people. I'd say not even in an Anime convention, unless people are talking about a specific series or character. Crazy japs.

Haha I've really been wanting to learn Finnish for a long time, maybe after German. The only thing I know is "kiitos" and "jää" (ice). Btw, how do you pronounce the latter? Like /ǰæ:/ or /ǰɛ:/ or what? :p

And many non-native speakers who study a foreign language usually end up knowing more about said language than the native ones hehe.

Oh was finlandssvenska the one that Finntroll uses?