The new chat thread - now with bitter arguing

I'm afraid I no longer really play any videogames, although that could change if and when Starcraft 2 and/or Half-Life 2: Episode 2 are released.

I'm afraid I no longer really play any videogames, although that could change if and when Starcraft 2 and/or Half-Life 2: Episode 2 are released.

Those are not video games, I thnk that term reserved for consoles only.

BTW, the only game i could play on a console is racing... or may be fighting, but not a big fan. Can't imagine to play 3D shooter on it - I look more at the controller than actual screen.

And I don't understand world-wide fascination with GTA.

And I installed WoW+BC on my new machine last night. And was playing Half-Life 2 till 2 am. On mio neu 22". Yum.

Picked up a 500gb external hard drive Wednesday. Don't worry plin, 'twas WD. Fun with finally backing stuff up.

Was damn sick yesterday morning, so took off from work and the 'net. Something I ate must have disagreed with me. Badly. Ugh.

Have to go back to NY this weekend for my cousin's wedding. Will be good to see family people again, at least for a little bit.

~kov.

EDIT: And goddamn passports into Canada. Still haven't totally squared this away, and I'm down to 14 days to our trip.

Haha, grats :)

I hear interal 500 GBs from WD are crashy sometimes (newegg whiners), but this is a good choice. They've been on sale almost for free lately ;)

They've been on sale almost for free lately ;)

Hehe, exactly why I sprung for it. Finally I have somewhere to store all of our TV shows. Seeing as we only pay for the most basic cable available, that turns out to be a lot of room for a lot of episodes. (Consider that she has approximately 550 episodes of various Star Trek series alone.) That and it will allow me to finally get back into the Sopranos. I watched the first two seasons on HBO when it first came out, but I've only seen a couple of episodes since then.

I'm thinking of stealing my brother's PS2 this weekend, too, so that should add to my electronics. As well as give us a variety of more games to play. She's mostly into puzzle-like games, or shooters with a co-op mode, so having run through every Myst game this weekend, I re-obtained Serious Sam - the PS2 should help matters a bit there. We're holding off on re-entering WoW until I'm all settled in at work, wedding season is out of the way, and she gets ahead on some of her work, so we don't get set back too far.

~kov.

I watched Sopranos finale, and skipped only last DVD of the 5th season and second half of season 6 - great show it was indeed.

I'm looking at GeForce 7950GT right in front of me, but I won't be able to install it till Monday - power supply got shipped from KY today, en route to Philly and will arrive only on 18th (+2 GB DDR2 stick =). So I'm stuck with work and will just play some WoW, I guess.

Man, HL2 on 22" makes me sick, I'm, like, IN the game. And I'm going to isntall F.E.A.R. pretty soon. Oh my... I was shitting me pant son low setting, what will be left of me on MAX?

If things go right, I will end up with 42" panel and PS2 as well - cheap as they are, I might consider playing a lttle here and there.

I watched Sopranos finale, and skipped only last DVD of the 5th season and second half of season 6 - great show it was indeed.

I'm looking at GeForce 7950GT right in front of me, but I won't be able to install it till Monday - power supply got shipped from KY today, en route to Philly and will arrive only on 18th (+2 GB DDR2 stick =). So I'm stuck with work and will just play some WoW, I guess.

Man, HL2 on 22" makes me sick, I'm, like, IN the game. And I'm going to isntall F.E.A.R. pretty soon. Oh my... I was shitting me pant son low setting, what will be left of me on MAX?

If things go right, I will end up with 42" panel and PS2 as well - cheap as they are, I might consider playing a lttle here and there.

Yeah, we'll be getting a higher end computer in about a year or so, hopefully after a raise and (crosses fingers) promotion on my end. We'll probably wind up speccing it for performance - I'll 'need' it for games, and stuff like Solidworks just works better on it. But we'd rather save the cash now, so we're holding out by grabbing the drive for now, rather than a whole new system.

And I've heard F.E.A.R. is ridiculous even on mediocre computers. So good luck with that :heh:.

~kov.

Whenever you are considering anything - try iBuypower.com: they have decent deals on gaming machines; they are just a tad more expensive than building your own (but they provide warranty) and you can always crank it up with Newegg.

I love that site: I was told about it 3-4 years ago, and I think I'll be buying whatever tech supplies I need from them exclusively. Fast shipping for ridiculously low prices (or free), easy returns (I didn't make any and don't plan to, but the word is out), and prices are often lower than on sale in Staples or Best Buy (well, around the same range at least). And they have 30 days return policy against 2 weeks in the stores.

HA!

when i bought my new computer last february, i bought it online, and the graphic card i have costed me like 130 euros. By Mediamarkt or Saturn it costs like 200 euors ...

I have a 19" flat panel and the gaming experience is just phenomenal. I had a 17" CRT before, a difference of more than a generation of technology.. very impressive stuff.

Imagine that on 22" ;) I've got to post a pic of my desktop some time, it's uber gr1m now :) Now I've got to set up my walls with Star Wars and Indiana Jones posters for the hsoot! Woohoo!!!

Actually, CRT can run up to 2000+ resolution at a semi-decent price for a unti (that's where they get their Crysis' test results), 22" runs at 1600x1080@60

Prices are dropping everywhere: I've got this top-of-the-DirectX9-line VC for less than $250 (~220?) I can get 256 MB one for the same money in the stores (my guess is it's around $275-300 for the model I have, but I've seen prices online higher than $300). 22" panels are going to reach lower $200 this year (and go less, I hope).

I'm thinking of picking up a server and playing around with it: got to make some research on DELL starter level servers + Ubuntu. When I have some time for fun ;)

Whenever you are considering anything - try iBuypower.com: they have decent deals on gaming machines; they are just a tad more expensive than building your own (but they provide warranty) and you can always crank it up with Newegg.
They dont have a lot of options though. I hate pre-made machines and the custom parts list is really too short. Id compose my own computer any day. You can read tests on every part and buy it wherever it's cheapest.. in the end you get the maximum for your money.
Pre-made computers usually have one or a more parts that really slow it down, some part that is only in because it doesnt sell too well on its own, so they put it in a pre-made computer. Id rather avoid that tbh.

who here has windows vista? i have a strange problem wit hthe Desktop Window Manager :p. and i only found one other similar case doing google research :p
i am glad i got it for free :heh:

who here has windows vista? i have a strange problem wit hthe Desktop Window Manager :p. and i only found one other similar case doing google research :p
i am glad i got it for free :heh:

I'd rather set my computer ablaze than expose it to Vista, but eh I guess It's okay If you didn't have to pay for it.

And eats up massive amounts of RAM.
i have 1gb, and i never had any problem with vista.

The thing i find annoying is the thing that ask you if you really want to run a program when you start something that is suppositely not recognised ( i dont knwo how its called in English).
It always ask that when i start speedfan, and now, really worse and annoying, is that it tries to block Firefox "... I guess thats the new ANTI OTHER WEB BROWSER CAMPAIN of Microsoft. I had to desactivate it.
For games, i didnt have any compatibilities problem, exept for Gothic III (but that wasprobabily due to the fact that i couldnt use the recent patch because my version was erm, you guess what :p )

The only strange thingisasi said, the Desktop Window Manager crashes all the time, i dont know why, i have done all the windows update, my graphic card driver is the most recent, and i dont have any problems with games. I cant be some incompatibilities with softwares, since it also crashed when i still haddnt installed anything. I was told it could be an hardware defect, but i find it somehow funny, as CSS or HL2 or Caesar IV run perfectly well on high graphics settings. And i still need to try i bios update, but i dont really want to do that myself.

because my version was erm, you guess what :p

My guess: Illegally downloaded and cracked? (I have the original version of the game btw)

I am happy with my XP so I won't get Vista as long as possible. For the design I use Windowblinds so the design I have is even better than the Vista one. :nonexistingiamawesomesmiley:

NF: Great. School year is almost over and I got the test results for an English test last week. http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/cae.htm
I got honored by our principal for being the first one ever at my school to pass the test with an A.
you ---> :worship: :worship: :worship: :danceboy: <--- me

Also joined last.fm in case anyone of you is there as well and cares about me being there. http://www.last.fm/user/Matse_L/

I also have an avatar again so you can once more worship my beauty :zombie: .

My guess: Illegally downloaded and cracked? (I have the original version of the game btw)
lol erm nooooo not at all :saint:

i hate being a student and being broke all the time.
Recently all my extra Money went into books i need for some exams...
and i have to buy a graphic calculator.

And what exactly is great about Vista? It just looks better... And eats up massive amounts of RAM.

Can it address more than 3.5 GBs of it? Don't think so, but anyway: 4 GBs or RAM (DDR2 667) is below $150.

Duh!

And it has DirectX 10.

Duh!

Looks better, ha :)

I'm not totally aginst it, if only it didn't cause this incompatobilities and disruption in workflow when I needed that software to run. I don't understand people who are up against something new just because. Eventually you are going to switch to it anyway.