The new chat thread - now with bitter arguing

I don't need Direct X 10 because the games that will need it won't run on my PC. I do not have that much RAM that could be addressed.
It eats up more ressources than XP and it has DRM (Digital Rights Management) which could lead to a few problems.
I will get Vista as soon as I have a faster computer and someone has created a programm similar to XP-Antispy to deactivate DRM. So the reason I don't get it is not just because it is new.

listening to the nightwish's "Eva". well. it's a nice song, and it's obvious how it was written to bring out the new vocalist. there are a few cool overdubs. but she's not tarja by any means. let's just wait and see what she does in songs that are more impassioned.

I have 1GB of RAM as well, but If I can use Windows XP which uses 50 MB of RAM (When tweaked correctly) instead of Vista which uses 400-500, then I will.

I mean, It's not really like I can't run Vista, but.. why just give away 350-450 MB of RAM away? Those can be put to better use.

Buy.

More.

Fucking.

RAM.

:D

I mean, you don't absolutely have to switch to Vista, but "tweaking" XP when RAM costs peanuts... man, it's like such a sadomaso pleasure, I guess.

I'm sticking 2 more gigs in tomorrow to forget about it once and for all.

I have 1GB of RAM as well, but If I can use Windows XP which uses 50 MB of RAM (When tweaked correctly) instead of Vista which uses 400-500, then I will.

I mean, It's not really like I can't run Vista, but.. why just give away 350-450 MB of RAM away? Those can be put to better use.
I agree. I need that memory for studio power.

Also agreed about the DRM crap. My computer, my property. Not Microsoft's.

Also agreed about the DRM crap. My computer, my property. Not Microsoft's.

taken from Wikipedia (about DRM):

"Digital rights management technologies attempt to control or prevent access to or copying of digital media, which can otherwise be copied with very little cost or effort."

As a pirate :heh: ... I never had experienced what y'all are pissed off about - that being DRM. There's always a way around... like music store? :D

Plintus, this is your logic:

Random Access Memory Modules are cheap. Since RAM Modules are cheap, we should buy more of them to make up for the high RAM requirements of a new operating system.

Now, if lots of people thought that way (and many do), then the RAM-Making companies would be getting extra money thanks to M$'s crappy programming methods. And M$ would also get more money, since people would buy Vista because it doesn't really slow your computer down if you have the right amount of RAM.

Money in exchange for mediocrity, yeah sounds very logic.

About the looks of Vista: It does look better, but not better enough to actually buy it (At least not to me, perhaps that is relative). It doesn't add anything new besides the looks - unless you count "Support for DirectX 10" and "Support for DRM'd content" as paramount additions.

I'm sure Microsoft will strive to limit as many new technologies to Vista as they can.

About DirectX 10: Limiting DirectX 10 to Vista is an insult to Gamers. Now all the new games (that use DX10) will have to be run in an O.S. that has a crappy performance compared the its ancestor, WinXP - and it is just because M$ didn't feel like letting DX10 run on XP to increase Vista sales.

About the DRM : Newer Blue-Ray and HD DVD (and perhaps other media) content will be DRM'd and will only run in DRM-compatible hardware, such as special readers that will "surprisingly" not work on non-DRM inclusive O.S.s suck as Windows XP or any version of Linux. DRM will be capable not only of preventing you from playing your movies/music in any device you want, but also time restrictions and playtime/playcount restrictions could (and thus, will) be implemented. Thanks to DRM, soon movies and probably even music could be restricted to be enjoyed by the costumer at the time and date the suppliers would want, and only as many times as they'd decide, on the devices they'd see fit.

So, as my Ideology goes against what Vista stands for and it doesn't really have anything to offer to me, I'll keep on using WinXP for games and Linux for everything else. Mac is a decent choice, though they will sooner or later embrace DRM, and maybe even some Linux distributions will.

I do have a computer in which I have Vista installed for testing purposes.

Great point, but it's all - correct! - relative anyway.

I can have as much RAM as OS supports now, and I'm getting it, just because I never had enough in the past and that always was an issue :)

I will be running XP for some time, eventually I will get Vista, as it's going to be OK in 2-3 years after several SPs. And there will be more DX10 games ;)

DRM sucks (oh boy!), but I usually rent movies, so I don't really care about that yet. There's a rumor Apple is going to ptovide online movie rentals at ~$3, and you can watch it any time during 30 days and transfer it to one more device besides your PC (from which you can broadcast movie to your AppleTV, connected to 1080p flat panel ;) ) Gona love such DRM! I hope the quality is going to be OK though, so all HD will be worth it :)

listening to the nightwish's "Eva". well. it's a nice song, and it's obvious how it was written to bring out the new vocalist. there are a few cool overdubs. but she's not tarja by any means. let's just wait and see what she does in songs that are more impassioned.
I heard it a few days ago, i really wasn't impressed. If that's all the voice she has to show, oh well... *shakes head*

As a pirate :heh: ...
HARR! Ye be swabbin the deck, jim lad.

On other news, i have an exam in a few hours. Exams make me want to keelhaul myself. :cry:

I'm at work right now (which atm is writing parking tickets for the good folks at the Chicago PD), and I just had two drunk women walk by my car and flash me their breasts. I have to say that one of women had chameleon eye shaped breasts. Weird guys, really fucking weird in Chicago tonight.

Edit: This job is awesome, not b/c of the breasts, but b/c: I get to meet and see all sorts of people, I have excellent benefits, and a pretty decent salary. Not to mention I get paid to sit on my ass from 10 pm to 6 am and basically not do much (which is a far cry from any of my other daily grinds).

Nickington

@nick: HEY! HELLO! :)

Congratulations on the job. Let us know something more about your good self!

Well Claudia, yesterday was my nephews graduation party where I got really drunk with a bunch of police officers, I'm living with my grandmother because she really cant do much on her own anymore, I need to shave, and I just finished eating a turkey sandwich (with mayo). Good enough love? ;)

Nick

I'm not totally aginst it, if only it didn't cause this incompatobilities and disruption in workflow when I needed that software to run. I don't understand people who are up against something new just because. Eventually you are going to switch to it anyway.

Is it still true that Microsoft means to support XP slightly longer than it means to support Vista? This would be a dealbreaker for me, since I don't really mean to change OS as frequently as I change my underwear, which is still by no means closer to one year than 24 hours, by the way.

Perhaps it's just me, but did the DT banner at the top turn darker (possibly a different pattern)? If so, I definitely like it more. If not... I like this brightness setting on my monitor more.

And work has officially kicked into gear for me, so I might (yeah, right) post less. Or get behind in my work. I think we know which is more likely.

~kov.

@Kov: Yes, it has changed. The new one is fiction-oriented.

@Dark_Silence: I'd like to go to that festival :D