The new chat thread - now with bitter arguing

@siren: glad to hear :)

nf: ouch. this week i am officially a junkie, the doctor having given me tons of codeine. wow, drugs! :rolleyes:

Yay, drugs!

My back is really sore, that's what i get for carrying a sack-voyage larger than me without any prior exercise. Actually, it's not just my back that is sore.

nf: slightly afraid. the doctors said i can leave, but i'm not really sure it's a good idea. too much pain. i don't feel up for going to work tomorrow, let alone cross the ocean. and while i do know that i'm not supposed to do so in any traumatic way such as, say, swimming (eventhough apparently swimming is really good for me), i still am not sure i want to. eh well, it's work, so i will just pack up and go. i never thought i would get to the point where i'd rather stay home than go to america, ewww.

@hyena: just make sure you don't have to actually carry heavy luggage. keep it to the minimum and try to use a suitcase with wheels or something.

@siren: thank you. :) i think i'm leaving with one small trolley, after the first week i will have a place with a laundry and i'll be able to wash stuff, so i really just need the bare minimum to survive for the 1st week. normally i'd carry a big suitcase when leaving for one month, but then again normally i do not have problems lacing up my shoes.

@d_s: i don't know exactly, but i have 2 spinal discuses that are fucked up. if i was sensible i would stay home, wait until the spike of pain passes, and then get surgery pronto. since i'm not sensible at all, i'm going through with a business trip in america, with respect to which my basic attitude is 'i cross my fingers and hope nothing evil happens'.

it is funny, but the worst side effect of this all is that i cannot do any sports, resulting in nervousness, lack of sleep, and general lack of mental balance. this is particularly welcome at the moment, given that i also have no self-esteem as a consequence of finding out that what i thought to be a tragic case of star-crossed lovers was indeed just a common case of me not being interesting enough to actually mean something to the other person. all in all, it's not the best time of my life, but i console myself thinking that it's just spinal trouble, not anything terribly serious (not that spinal trouble cannot get serious, but what i mean is that one does not really die because of a bad back). it will probably get worse before it gets better, but these things happen. as for the self-esteem, the weird part was before, not now, so i'm just settling back in the comfortable and unchangeable routine of things. :rolleyes:

nf: Disturbed by the school massacre in Tusby, Finland. This is the sort of thing that I´ve often felt quite isolated from, and I think a lot of people in the nordic countries agree with me. Every time it has happend in the USA my general feeling has been that it´s not something that is possible here. The nordic states has always felt safe, from all matters of catastrophes and bad events, be it school massacres, terrorists or nature disasters. And now it has happened in Finland, right in our neighborhood, and it might just as well had happened here.

@Makaan: That's bad news. Here in Greece the feeling we've had about these things is the fear that sooner or later they'll happen here as well (thankfully they haven't happened yet). I guess the lack of sun and general depression in the nordic countries has a role to play in this.

Other than that, i'm just about to enjoy my hot coffee and fancy greek chocolate wafer. Life is good.

@hyena: so, when will you be returning to Rome and get that spine fixed? I know it's not my problem, but don't you think you're being a bit self-destructive on that matter? Shit, we all put down other people for cruel, narcissistic reasons, and it sucks and hurts like hell, but it hardly justifies such an awful masochism. Get that spine attended before it becomes something chronic!

@qrv: thank you for your concern. it's chronic already (well, the top bit is, since it's been annoying me for 4 years), and predisposition to hernias in the lower back is not something that you can fix. you can try to get surgery, which is anyway just a local fix, weakness of spinal structure is hereditary and that's that. what i will have to do is learn the correct posture, swim, do rehabilitation, and yes, most probably i'll also have a run of surgical intervention, but it doesn't mean it will go away - just doesn't.

as for wanting to honor business commitments, it's called sense of duty, not masochism... and also, this is the last chance i get to have a big availability of funds to go to america and i have an invitation at MIT, i would crawl on my knees rather than letting it go. :)

@matse: ouch. wiki is vague on how you treat that - does it go away on its own in adults or are you supposed to do something?

I didn't work today even though I could have. And I spent 2 to 3 hours staring at a Level II NASDAQ screen only to miss the opportunity to walk away from the market with a $460 dollar gain for the day in the couple of minutes when I walked away to get myself a coffee and a jam sandwich. All my neighbors must've heard me curse.
:cry:

[size=-2]I took a gain of 100 bucks in the end, which I guess isn't so bad for a few hours of wasted time.[/size]

Matse, hyena: I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. You must be covered under some sort of insurance in case you have to see someone here, right? Because in the U.S. it can be a real pain otherwise, as if you needed any more.

Siren: Hopefully something similar won't happen in Greece. But there also is no benefit in being afraid. I wish in the U.S., for one, people would stop being so driven by collective fears. It's absolutely ridiculous.

@ Hyena: It usually goes away until being grown up (physically) to a certain degree. That is how it went with mine I just couldn't put my full body's weight on it which was not a very big problem. Now it got a lot more sensitive again. I hope it is just temporarily and will go away again after a while otherwise surgery is the way to go.

@ Mag: In Germany you have to be health insured by law and pension insurance and unemployment insurance are also necessary.

@Mags: Our notion of fear is much different than that in the US. By fear, i mean acknowledging the fact that this could happen here in a decade or two, while sitting back in a comfy couch in a cafeteria downtown or by the shore and stirring our frappé coffee endlessly.
The general idea is that US trends get here eventually with a considerable delay, though hopefully not all of them. We still have awful things happening at schools, which to be honest should be more worrying.

@Matse: Hope you get well soon. :)

The general idea is that US trends get here eventually with a considerable delay, though hopefully not all of them.

Well, it seems that the EU officials find the "antiterrorist precautions" made by the US very tempting, and are introducing the same kind of policy for the international and EU travel. Which is quite ridiculous, when you think about the original idea EU was based upon.