The New England Metal and Hardcore Festival

o_O

This was the first time I had seen Opeth live. Just to let you know.

So I came there at 9, and took a seat in the back. I was afraid I was gonna get my head bitten off and since I'm a wee 15 year old I didn't feel like moshing. Killswitch Engage started, and although I absolutely detest this band, they were pretty good as far as theatrical flair goes. But still, their music is too much on the hardcore side for me to like. Next was supposed to be Nevermore, but Shadows Fall came, for some reason. Again, I hate this band. :tickled: But with every song I developed a stronger want for Opeth. So afterwards came Nevermore. And I have to be honest, I was afraid Opeth wouldn't be able to top this performance.

I'm not a big fan of thrash (yes, if you're wondering, I only went to see Opeth :)), but Warrel Dane sure as hell knows how to put on a show. He was really into the music, and even let people on stage and a few sang along with him. !:eek: If only I could do that with Opeth. :D For their last song, Warrel let as many people from the pit up on stage as possible, and everyone there was headbanging in unison for like 3 minutes, just a huge orgy of people, it was fucking awesome.

Then there was a break. And I was happy about that, because it meant people could forget how good Nevermore was and think of Opeth. After some 20 minutes of a sound crew fixing up the instruments, I was getting really edgy and I was shouting along "OPETH OPETH OPETH" for them to get on, and finally after another 10 minutes, Mikael, Peter, and the Martin's came on stage and yeah, the crowd went insane. Hehe. They hadn't even played yet and we were like "FUCK YEAH OPEEEEETH!!!!" They started off with The Leper Affinity, and that was pretty kickass. And then I believe it was the Moor but I'm not sure cuz I forgot (I got home at 4, I was tired =P). Afterwards came Deliverance, and everytime Opeth would cut out to a soft part from a heavy part the crowd went crazy. At the 10 minute mark with those insane guitar riffs, when Lopez started his drumming, I can honestly say 80% of the people there were drumming along with him on whatever surface they could find: chairs, floor, other people. Then, if I'm not mistaken came Godhead's Lament, and I was disappointed with it, but nevertheless it was nice. Afterwards was The Drapery Falls, and the crowd was happy about it, and finally they closed with A Fair Judgment. At the 7:30 minute mark in the song, when Mikael says "Heeere..." the band stopped playing, the crowd was silent, and Lopez did two slow, churning cymbal crashes and the band shook the building with those amazing riffs of theirs.

And yes, that was the lsat piece. Or was it? After they left, the crowd was like "WHAT OPETH OPETH OPETH OPETH" and in 10 minutes, they came back and played, you guessed it, Demon of the Fall. :tickled: I don't like this piece, some of you know this already, but seeing it live was just... so amazing. I absolutely loved it!

Looking forward to next year's NE Metal and Hardcore Festival!

EDIT: I forgot Advent in there somewhere, before Deliverance I believe.

Opeth rocketed beyond my expectations..again, as they do every time I see them. And to headline the New England Metalfest is just icing on that very large cake!!

I saw them in Phili on their Four Absent Friends tour, at the Trocadero, which was such a treat. The crowd an all-Opeth crowd, which really added to the excitement swirling around that place. And Opeth's interludes brought everything down and them slammed us all up again when they broke it down. It was one of the best shows of my life.

But the fest deserved such an epic band as Opeth for it's headliner. I think the entire place was screaming when they played Deliverance. I know I was.
And I was so pleased to finally see Lacuna Coil live, after that fiasco last year with their visas. Christing and Andi really rocked it out hard, which was awesome, since the crowd on Friday at the fest was particularly heavy.

Wow. I think I was witness to something really brutal and beautiful last night. Thank you Opeth, Lacuna, Nevermore, Shadows Fall, and every other ill band that played yesterday!!!
You will always have fans in the NorthEast!

-indarkness

Opeth played an awesome show last night! I got there fasionably late and was just in time to see Shadows Fall start their set. I was on the left about three rows back from the stage. I got pushed around by the mosh pit a couple of times (I'm a girl), but it was worth it to see Opeth. I hung around their tour bus afterwards and they came out after about an hour. I got my Deliverance booklet signed! The two Martins didn't say much, but Mikael and Peter are very polite!:Spin:

Oh yeah... Nevermore's last song was pretty funny. So many people went on stage! :p

Wow, so many people were there. Why didn't you guys post in my thread asking who's going to this concert? :D

Too bad I couldn't get all-day tickets. Not that I really wanted to see many of the other bands, but I would've killed to see Lacuna Coil. Plus I could've gone in the pit. And gotten killed, but it would've been a pleasent death.

Noctuary stole the show that day and suffocation on the next. Opeth was too boring, and predictable...I almost fell asleep. They are one of ym favorite bands too. Same set list as last time... It was incredible a few months back. Im dissapointed. I think Deliverance is way below what opeth is capable. They should've played more still Life (The Moor, Serenity Painted Death)

Although I disagree with you about Opeth being boring, I must say I was surprised so many fans loved Deliverance. I don't hear too much praise for it, even though it's my favorite Opeth song (by a longshot). Which is odd cuz I like their older albums more. =P But who knows, just recently MAYH became my favorite album, so it always changes.

I didn't get to see Noctuary. =/ But now taht I think about the experience, I'm a bit glad I didn't stay longer. THe shittiness of the sound quality would've gotten me if I"d have stayed another hour. :)

Opeth sounded great, but standing near the soundboard I could see the crowd thin out a little bit for the their set and the feel the energy slowly slip away after Nevermore's finale in wich the stage was stormed by the audience. Mind you, a only *little bit*; there wer eplenty of fans yelling and singing along certain spots. But there a slight disappoint for me, ever so slight, since I wanted them to totally blow the roof off, which they did musicallym, but too much of the audience was getting tired. I mean, "Advent" is a work of art, but being the second song and so not catchy (compared to earlier, simpler bands), I could hear people start to chat and lose attention. Opeth is beautiful, emotional and intellectual as well as primal and powerful, and they just don't have the party vibe of earlier bands, so they tended quite pack the punch in the moment for some of the crowd.

Also, I wished they had played at least one song they didn't play the few months prior, like maybe Serenity instead of Godhead's.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Metal Fest this year. I have seen Opeth numerous times and loved them every time but I think that they should try and relax a little and play some other songs besides their "standard" setlist which they've been playing for so long. Being perfectionists from Sweden, I can see why they stick to their proven setlist but they have the talent to just try something something different and attempt to play some other songs. They need to mix it up a bit. Their shows are becoming too predictable, too scripted. If they keep doing this, I think a lot of their fans will stop coming to their shows only to see the same exact performance. They even wear the same exact clothes every time. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of Opeth's biggest fans but I think that they should open up a bit and change their setlist around from time to time and do some improvising. They are definately capable musically and would make for some interesting surprises for their hardcore fans!

One of the bands that surprised me the most at the Metal Fest on Friday was the local band Cannae. They were a Hardcore band which I'm not too crazy about but they had some serious energy and turned the place into a moshing frenzy! The crowd went crazy and just started killing! The mosh pit was extremely brutal. I don't know how some people didn't get carried out in stretchers but it was bad. I was in the front row and it was quite a sight to see. If you are a fan of Hardcore, then you have to see the band Cannae. Also, Noctuary put on a good show for a bunch of young kids. I was surprised to see how young those guys were. I liked their jam on Aces High by Iron Maiden. That was cool! Nevermore put on a great show as well. Warrel is quite a stage presence and always ends up doing something interesting. I don't think the organizers are too keen on having him play since he usually breaks the house rules. He was encouraging people to come on stage and provoking them to stage dive which the organizers didn't really like too much. But hey, this is a Metal Fest and Warrel knows metal! Kudos to Nevermore. Shadow's Fall was really good especially the guitars. Very hard and melodic. Very talented guitar players and very good singing. Opeth was great as usual but like I said before, they are becoming a little too predictable and need to mix it up a bit. They have a ton of material to chose from so playing the same songs over and over is really no excuse. I would like to see them perform some other songs off their older albums.

Lacuna Coil was incredible! I really enjoyed them and Cristina's voice is so angelic! After seeing dozens of hardcore and metal bands screaming like crazy all day long, it was a very pleasant break to see Lacuna Coil who slowed things down a bit. They were very professional and sounded excellent. Very clean and articulate. I can't wait to see them again!

illbeleavinnow said:
Wow, so many people were there. Why didn't you guys post in my thread asking who's going to this concert? :D

Too bad I couldn't get all-day tickets. Not that I really wanted to see many of the other bands, but I would've killed to see Lacuna Coil. Plus I could've gone in the pit. And gotten killed, but it would've been a pleasent death.

I repied in that thread, dude.

Although I was mainly there to see Lacuna Coil and Opeth, I was presently suprised by the bands that played in between. I wasn't too happy with the way the sound was mixed for Lacuna Coil, but I'm assuming it had something to do with Cristina's vocals compared to the growling that most of the other bands were making.

Opeth was simply amazing just like they were when I went to see them at Irving Plaza here in NY. Luckily I snagged a seat on top of the bar down by the pit at about 4 and was dilligently sitting there until Opeth got off stage. *Note to self, bring seat cushins next time* :)

I think their setlist was predictable considering the last time I saw them, they played the same songs, but I enjoyed them nonetheless. I also took plenty of pictures (8 rolls between both days) so I'll be searching around in the next few days for a place to host them. There aren't many close-ups cause like I said, I was planted to my seat! :)

Overall, although the sound was shitty on friday, the sound was so much better on saturday. Converge rocked the fucking place and 10 fights errupted just while they were playing ( 2 cat fights too! )

It was a great show! I'll be sure to be heading up there next year.

Christina

Glad to see someone else thinsk the production was lousy on Friday. In fact it was utter shit. It took some effort to get into Nevermore and Shadows Fall particularly because the production was SO bad almost all their songs sounded the same.

Maybe it'd be easier to get into it if I already knew the songs (I'm not a big fan of either band) but even then... A black metal band would've been completely incomprehensible on Friday. :-D

Wow everyone said Lacuna Coil was awesome. I'm so sad I couldn't see them... :(

ddiscosmo, I doubt anyone was younger then me, I'm 15. I was afraid to tell the person in front of me to sit in the empty seat next to him cuz I was afraid he would've beaten me up. :-D

Actually i thought Lacuna Coil was horrible, very boring songs that all sounded the same, no dynamics at all. But I also thought Killswitch and Shadows Fall had the most enjoyable sets of the day, so maybe you wouldn't agree with me there. :) And yeah Cannae was definitly a pleasant surprise, they were much more metal than I was expecting and their singer is a great frontman.

Nevermore sounded awful but the Opeth set was amazing. They've come a long way from Milwaukee 2000! I just wish they had more flair on stage - they should take Lacuna Coil's stage presence since they have the songs to back it up!!

Deliverance is sub-Opeth because it lacks the effort. It asn't as layered as the past two. THe riffs repeat longer and the song structures also have become more repetetive. It has it's moments but overal it seems to drag on and on and on.