The New Maiden Album Review - By Yours Truly

SavaDude

Futures End Cheese Grater
Aug 28, 2006
www.myspace.com
I will never forget when I was first introduced to the sometimes sinister, always enlightening music of Iron Maiden. It was 1983. I was in my 7th grade math class and a friend had brought in Iron Maiden's monster "Piece of Mind". Do you remember it? The cover was a nightmare, Eddie looking as pissed off as Satan the day that God banished him from heaven, wearing a nice shirt with the sleeves that tie in the back. The back of the album featuring the band seated at a grand table where Eddie's brain was the main course for the evening's repast. I dont know about you, but at 13 years old, as all of Maidens ablum covers provoked, it was mysterious and disturbing. And, of course, I couldnt wait to sample the tasty desserts that lay on the 9 tracks of monster Maiden metal that lay embedded within the diamond cut grooves on the record.
I know you know what I mean.
Well, as of Sept 5th, 2006 the new Iron Maiden album hit U.S. shores to quell the hunger of the millions of Maiden fans here on the North American continent.
And as usual, this album does not dissapoint.
10 tracks in length that delivers over 70 minutes of some of the finest Iron Maiden ever recorded.
Tonight, I am going to sit back, drink my rum and coke, and give you, for whatever it is worth (and it aint much) a song by song review of "A Matter of Life and Death".

1. Different World

The track opens with a kick ass signature style Maiden riff that reminds of days gone by. Dickinson enters with his monster vocal that shows that the man simply gets better over time. As the chorus hits, I feel a bit like the energy of the song turns a bit toward the light and away from the shadow, but still great stuff. Adrian Smith's solo is short and sweet, and completely shows his mastery of the planning of every note that he plays. Overall a good tune. At only 4:17 it is the shortest song on the record.

2. These Colours Dont Run

This song opens strong, and by the time it reaches the signature Maiden B section has you hooked. Mostly I would have to say that it is a formula tune as far as the body of the song goes. But the solos by Janick Gers and Dave Murray are simply EXCELLENT and help carry the song to its climax.

3. Brighter than a Thousand Suns

This song opens with a KILLER prog-style riff and immediately builds into to an instant headbanger. This song reminds me of the energy and progressive feel of Powerslave. So far, the best tune on the album.

4. The Pilgrim
VERY old school Maiden, yet with a BRAVE NEW WORLD flavor to it. An intense song from start to finish. I loved this one!

5. The Longest Day
ASS KICKER!! A total headbanger in the grand style that only Maiden can deliver! It starts with the same killer galloping bass lines that we all remember from the early days. The middle instrumental part is KILLER. A VERY Dream Theater kind of shriking/growing walk up and down the fretboard, followed by an amazing Dave Murray solo and a killer dual guitar harmony that follows the melody of the chorus. GREAT song!

6. Out of the Shadows

WOW!!!! What an incredible song! VERY much like Children of the Damned. Bruce sings his ASS off on this song. My new favorite on the record! Fantastic lyrics and melodies that will continute to haunt you long after the song has finished.

7. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg

The song starts with a bass and lead guitar intro that may be a bit too long and has a kind of a standard feel to it. Then it opens up in to a killer signature riff that had me banging my head to the point I thought it was going to roll off of my shoulders. Once again, Bruce delivers an amazing performance on this one!

8. For the Greater Good of God

Ok, with this one I really didnt know what to expect by the Steve Harris intro, and then it launches into a killer melodic minor riff that reminded me of TOOL. From there, we go into a really nice melody that sets the scene for this monster anthem! A haunting, powerful chorus ensues and the song just takes off. This has to be my second favorite at this point. Another smokin instrumental section is the glue that holds your attention and makes you want to crank it up to 12! God this album just OWNS!

9. Lord of Light
Another mellow intro. This one reminds me of Still Life in its mood and atmosphere. From there it launches into yet another riff that reminds us of old school Maiden. And Bruce...oh man, Bruce just KILLS! He is reaching notes that we havent heard the man stretch to in 5 albums!

10. The Legacy
Wow....Now this is truly different for Iron Maiden. The song is comprised mostly of a fingerpicked acoustic guitar line, with a melody that follows the guitar part. It is quite haunting. Just when you expect the mood to be shredded by a monster crunch guitar part, the pace quickens with more fingerpicking, with an electric part doubling the acoustic line. Outstanding. When the main line comes in with all three of the guitarists back to thier Marshalls, we get yet another trip back into the early days. This one more of a Seventh Son of a Seventh son kind of a journey. Fantastic!

I have been a Maiden fan for about 23 years. Quite honestly there were a few albums that were very dissapointing on a whole, but that contained some killer music. This album is far from dissapointing. In fact, I am going to have to rate it an 8 out of 10. Only an 8 due to the first two songs on the album being just a bit weaker than the rest.
Overall it is a great listen and I have to admit, I am addicted to it completely. I am really looking forward to seeing some of these being played live in Irvine in October.
Oustanding work from one of the true legends of heavy metal music. The mighty Iron Maiden.

UP THE IRONS!!!

Christian