What is the worst Iron Maiden song ever recorded?

I'll admit, I never heard Ripper try to sing the old stuff. I do remember hearing he was in a tribute band and that people thought he did a pretty accurate Halford impression. He actually sounds better in other bands (Iced Earth, Winter Kill).

As for the chick singer thing: VERY INTERESTING! There are more and more of these ladies that can really belt one out (listen to Power Symphony sometime). I don't know about Rush, but I'd love to hear what the other three bands you mentioned would sound like with some female vox. Any well-established band who loses their frontman should strongly consider that. I heard Van Halen almost did it once, and they probably should have (or was that just a rumor?). In fact, our lovely Aja would probably make the best replacement for Bruce Dickinson. The only problem with that is all the eggs, bottles, and verbal abuse that would be hurled at her at concerts by "fans". I wouldn't wish that on her. But think about it, when Bruce leaves Maiden again (and he will, watch), who better to take his place?

who better to take his place?

SSSSHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssshhhhhhhhhh!

Then we wouldn't have the chance to see Aja kick ass as often as we do now.

Think man! Think! :loco:

Jim

I like about half or Brave New World and Half of Dance of Death. They are way better than anything since 7th son.

I just put in No Prayer for the Dying to give it another spin. LMAO "hooks in you" what the hell is that?? I literally laughed out loud. The cowbell is pretty sweet in that one. I don't mind Tailgunner to much and Holy Smoke would be decent if the lyrics weren't so bad. The title track is good I enjoy it. I like Mother Russia and Run Silent Run Deep. Other than that it's hard to listen to.

I will put in Fear of the Dark album here tomorrow and check out that one again

I liked the message of "Holy Smoke", and given all the shit the boys had been put through by bible-thumpers, it needed to be said. I think "Hooks in You" was supposed to be the next chapter in the "Charlotte" saga, but I still couldn't tell you what it's about. Maybe her johns are Cenobites now. You can tell that one was one of Bruce's and not Steve's without even reading the writing credits. Bruce's lyrics really vary in quality.

The title track is something I would've liked if it had been the first Maiden song I'd ever heard. But what about "Public Enema Number One" and "Fates Warning" (despite the strange choice in titles)? I thought those were the highlights.

By the way, we're straying from your topic, aren't we? Hope you don't mind.

Quest For Fire is gawd-awful! From the ridiculous lyrics "In a time, when dinosaurs walked the earth..." to the lame ass riff, to the annoying chorus, this song is a pile 'o pooh through and through. Look up "Filler" in Websters online and it probably has a link to this un-Maiden-like effort.

kellver said:
Quest For Fire is gawd-awful! From the ridiculous lyrics "In a time, when dinosaurs walked the earth..." to the lame ass riff, to the annoying chorus, this song is a pile 'o pooh through and through. Look up "Filler" in Websters online and it probably has a link to this un-Maiden-like effort.

As much as other songs on Piece of Mind rock this one is not very good. However it is still 100 times more 'maiden like' than Weekend Warrior or The Angel and the Gambler :)

I like those songs off "Piece of Mind".This might piss some peole off but I thought "Some where in Time" was a weak album & "Heaven Can Wait" was one of the gayest la-de-dah songs I ever heard from Maiden. I couldn't believe they kept that song in their set for the next few years having a group of radio winners come out to sing the back up.
When I heard the guitar synths on "Stranger in a strange Land" I cried "SELL OUTS!!" & disowned Maiden for many years all though it was no where near as bad as Judas Preist's "Turbo Lover" piece of feces, but I was angered after on "Piece of Mind" they proudly displayed on the inner albums sleeve the quote "There are no synthesizers on this album".And then on the "Behind the Iron Curtain" documenatry there's a scene where a very annoyed Bruce Dickinson tells this polish guy "You can't play Heavy Metal on a synthesizer!"So I found it quite hypocritical when they did that tune.
Bare in mind back then I was on a steady one track minded diet of nothing but Thrash & Death Metal & was very pro-underground & anti-Mainstream & tried to avoid arena Metal shows.
I actually got dragged kicking and screaming against my will to see Maiden's lone bay area appearance on the "Somewhere in Time" tour.They headlined San Jose's Spartan Stadium with Y&T,Tesla,& Waysted opening.To me a total poser line up of bands to be opening for Maiden.

Danny rctv said:
I like those songs off "Piece of Mind".This might piss some peole off but I thought "Some where in Time" was a weak album & "Heaven Can Wait" was one of the gayest la-de-dah songs I ever heard from Maiden. I couldn't believe they kept that song in their set for the next few years having a group of radio winners come out to sing the back up.
When I heard the guitar synths on "Stranger in a strange Land" I cried "SELL OUTS!!" & disowned Maiden for many years all though it was no where near as bad as Judas Preist's "Turbo Lover" piece of feces, but I was angered after on "Piece of Mind" they proudly displayed on the inner albums sleeve the quote "There are no synthesizers on this album".And then on the "Behind the Iron Curtain" documenatry there's a scene where a very annoyed Bruce Dickinson tells this polish guy "You can't play Heavy Metal on a synthesizer!"So I found it quite hypocritical when they did that tune.
Bare in mind back then I was on a steady one track minded diet of nothing but Thrash & Death Metal & was very pro-underground & anti-Mainstream & tried to avoid arena Metal shows.
I actually got dragged kicking and screaming against my will to see Maiden's lone bay area appearance on the "Somewhere in Time" tour.They headlined San Jose's Spartan Stadium with Y&T,Tesla,& Waysted opening.To me a total poser line up of bands to be opening for Maiden.

The Chorus in Heaven Can Wait is prettty bad but the song is decent beyond that. The album though is pretty damn great. The title track is amazing, wasted years, alexander the great, stranger in a strange land, and so on. The only thing I don't care for is the production value, it seems a bit programmed or even just over produced. But despite a few lack luster songs I think SIT is excellent.

7th Son is my favorite Maiden album and there are a lot of synth sounds on it so I really don't mind the synth stuff as long as its not the main component in the song

Although Maiden are my favourite band its true they've done some lame songs. As well as those already mentioned I would add the 2 about Charlotte the Harlot. They sound good but I feel sick if I think of whores, so normal females are turned off by that and a lot of decent heterosexual men also (not to mention parents who don't want their kids getting bad ideas). Interesingly, Bruce said (on the radio 6 rock show) that he sometimes "forgets" the words to Acacia Avenue, and has sung "that's where we go to buy the cheese" (meaning a cheese shop!). That seems to show he knows it is better that way.

Danny rctv said:
I like those songs off "Piece of Mind".This might piss some peole off but I thought "Some where in Time" was a weak album & "Heaven Can Wait" was one of the gayest la-de-dah songs I ever heard from Maiden...
There's always going to be people that don't like songs others do like. Your case in point. I like Somewhere in Time a lot, including Heaven Can Wait. I actually thought the sing-a-long was cool and wished I could've had the chance to go up there and do it - no such luck tho. But, I'm not offended when somebody thinks it's a gay la-de-dah song. That's your taste and I respect other peoples taste for music. If they can't respect other peoples taste for music then.........

Danny rctv said:
...but I was angered after on "Piece of Mind" they proudly displayed on the inner albums sleeve the quote "There are no synthesizers on this album".And then on the "Behind the Iron Curtain" documenatry there's a scene where a very annoyed Bruce Dickinson tells this polish guy "You can't play Heavy Metal on a synthesizer!"So I found it quite hypocritical when they did that tune.
I remember Bruce saying that statement to that Polish dude. I agree, he does look like a total hypocrit from that statement. I often wonder what'd he say about that now. Yet to this day, Michael Kinney gets hardly any visability credit. He only gets on the "Thank You" list. No idea what he did, but thanks to The Iron Maidens, I now know. Michael does get interviewed a couple of times in the Iron Maiden Early Days DVD - which was cool.

I actually like Bring your Daughter... It was something new, wich we didn´t hear for years.

I would go (i think) for Caught somewhere in time. So dull.....

Rattlesnake said:
Nobody thought Blaze sucked when he was in Wolfsbane.

Actually I agree. Having their god damn demo tape, which most likely came out before you were outa diapers... I think I'm entitled to an opinion.

I also agree Blaze with Maiden recorded some of its worst songs, but at least stop being an ass and listen to rational.

I didn't like how his voice worked with Maiden. His style, to me, did not fit the Maiden style. I feel they would have been better suited with someone else. That's not to say Blaze sucks, that's not to say that Maiden sucks. It is to say that the SOUND of the music with his singing was, to me, and that's why it was some of their worst work. That does not make the songs, however the worst songs. (as a side note, I gave away X-factor and never bought Virtual XI... I disliked his voice that much when mixed with Maiden)

And I tried. I bought the damn cd the day it came out. I listen too it about 10 times, and I just didn't like his sound.

Now if someone makes a sweeping statement "Without Bruce Maiden sucks" then most likely they are being sweeping and grandeos.... *OR* they simply share the same opinion I do.

All that said, the worst song Maiden has done was Total Eclipse. (EDIT: btw note who's singing this one boy-o, cos it sure as hell isn't Blaze)

Danny rctv said:
And then on the "Behind the Iron Curtain" documenatry there's a scene where a very annoyed Bruce Dickinson tells this polish guy "You can't play Heavy Metal on a synthesizer!"So I found it quite hypocritical when they did that tune.

I would hope you felt the exact same way the day that Metallica produced it's first video...

HobbesDawg said:
I would hope you felt the exact same way the day that Metallica produced it's first video...
NOPE.I thought it was cool they did a video.I wanted to see videos from all the bands I liked.
I don't know where people got the idea Metallica said they'd never do a video.They were planning on doing a video for "Escape" on RTL when Elektra first picked them up.They ended up not doing a video because there was no need & they felt MTV wouldn't play it anyways because back then Metallica were too extreme for radio & MTV.

Danny rctv said:
NOPE.I thought it was cool they did a video.I wanted to see videos from all the bands I liked.
I don't know where people got the idea Metallica said they'd never do a video.They were planning on doing a video for "Escape" on RTL when Elektra first picked them up.They ended up not doing a video because there was no need & they felt MTV wouldn't play it anyways because back then Metallica were too extreme for radio & MTV.

Um, the quote was from Metallica them selves. Take a watch of Cliff Em All, and they are interviewed way back when...state very emphaticaly they will "NEVER" make a video.

Also it has nothing to do with feling they didnt need too.. they were stating basicaly how videos are sell out, ect. Aorgance of guys who were under 21 :)

Holy Smoke is cheezy as hell... Maybe it was the cheezy video clip that makes the song cheezy to me, i'm not sure...lol

The Blaze era was a shocker. Even though I think Blaze did release some good material after Maiden like the Silicone Messiah album is great. I don't think Maiden wrote the right music to suit Blaze's voice to be honest. Blaze in the right band is a fantastic singer, but don't give him classic Maiden tunes to sing lol.

Those knocking Ripper in Priest may not have seen him perform live with them? I've seen Halford performing Priest songs in the Fight era, and Priest with Ripper, and believe me on the tours out here Ripper was very close to the mark. Definately not as good as Halford, but definately well within the ballpark so to speak. Damn shame he's not in Iced Earth now.. Looking forward to his new project though!