What is the worst Iron Maiden song ever recorded?

Oct 5, 2003
Visit site
Yeah Maiden has some amazing, brilliant tunes, but out of 25 plus years of music they would had to have created a few bad songs. What song would you say is the worst Maiden song ever?

Mine is Weekend Warrior from Fear of the Dark (Bruce Era)

and for the Blaze Era they are all pretty bad due to the vocals but "The Angel and the Gambler" probably takes the prize. Just listen to this god aweful riff from that song:

http://www.emosexuals.com/ironmaiden/ang.mp3 :tickled: :tickled:

Im sure even the Maiden boys gotta admit they were on crack when they released those tunes haha

I have a gap in my collection between No Prayer for the Dying and Brave New World, so maybe I subconsciously blocked out the weaker years.

I have spent the last half hour thinking on this and have only come up with a least favorite song of mine, The Ides of March, which is by no means bad. I just don't care for it because it doesn't seem to go anywhere and I think Killers could have just as well begun with Wrathchild instead of it.

RouxBodine said:
I have a gap in my collection between No Prayer for the Dying and Brave New World, so maybe I subconsciously blocked out the weaker years.

I have spent the last half hour thinking on this and have only come up with a least favorite song of mine, The Ides of March, which is by no means bad. I just don't care for it because it doesn't seem to go anywhere and I think Killers could have just as well begun with Wrathchild instead of it.

oh man thats rough lol I love that song, great opener to the album. But yeah I hear ya on blocking out the No Prayer - Brave New World era. There are a handfull of good songs in that time period but definetely a big span of mediocre albums.

Off the top of my head what comes to mind is Bring your Daughter to the Slaughter. :yuk:

Jim

spideyjg said:
Off the top of my head what comes to mind is Bring your Daughter to the Slaughter. :yuk:

Jim

That is a poor song, but The Apparition is even worse. The Angel and the Gambler is very bad too.

..."and for the Blaze Era they are all pretty bad due to the vocals".

Well, it's official: Maiden without Bruce sucks. So logically, Maiden sucks. Wow, I never knew that. What have I been listening to all these years. The whole time I thought Steve Harris was the heart and soul of the band, and it turns out he was just a talentless hack. It took the true fans to help me figure that out. I'm going to sell all my Maiden albums and just listen to "Tattooed Millionaire" and "Balls to Picasso" from now on.

But wait a minute, what about the first two albums? Oh well, someone here will have an answer.

In the meantime, worst song: "Mother Russia".

Rattlesnake said:
..."and for the Blaze Era they are all pretty bad due to the vocals".

Well, it's official: Maiden without Bruce sucks. So logically, Maiden sucks. Wow, I never knew that. What have I been listening to all these years. The whole time I thought Steve Harris was the heart and soul of the band, and it turns out he was just a talentless hack. It took the true fans to help me figure that out. I'm going to sell all my Maiden albums and just listen to "Tattooed Millionaire" and "Balls to Picasso" from now on.

But wait a minute, what about the first two albums? Oh well, someone here will have an answer.

In the meantime, worst song: "Mother Russia".

Anyone got a xanax for this guy?

Yes despite a few songs with good riffs the Blaze era albums SUCKED because the vocals ruined the songs. But listen to riffs like that in "The Angel and The Gambler" the music behind the vocals wasn't the greatest either.

Is this Paul Di'anno in disguise posting on here? I never talked shit on Paul just Blaze so calm down sailor. I enjoy the Paul era songs, not as much as the Bruce Era, simply because Bruce Dickinson is far superior to Paul Dianno. But Paul is much better than Blaze.

And I think "Mother Russia" is one of the only decent tracks from No Prayer for the Dying, other than the title track. "Mother Russia" was written during the Seventh Son sessions and you can tell by listening to it.

spideyjg said:

Jim

Yeah i don't see what's so good about that song.....everyone else seems to love it! I way prefer the evil that men do.

Nobody thought Blaze sucked when he was in Wolfsbane. Face it, the only reason people have been slagging an otherwise decent vocalist is the because of the position he was put in. Sure Bruce was better, but face it, ANYBODY could have sung on those two albums and would have gotten the same booing and name-calling from broken-hearted "fans".

My vote for worst song was only done half-heartedly. I mean how bad are even the worst Maiden songs? I'll rate "Angel and the Gambler" a close second, but it's a poor example of that album. Listen to "When Worlds Collide", or "The Educated Fool".

Steve Harris is an excellent songwriter as well as bassist. All the rest of the boys are outstanding musicians. If someone hadn't stepped up to the plate to sing those songs, we would never have heard them, and that would have been a damn shame. Sure, they might have sounded better with Bruce on the mike, but what was the rest of the band supposed to do while he was getting "Shoot all the Clowns" out of his system?

Yet, I seem to be the only one who doesn't think Maiden should just break up every time Bruce gets a wild hair up his ass. If it really is all about the singer, then why are we even listening to heavy metal in the first place? Shouldn't we be scouring the bargain bins for CD's by American Idol losers?

Rattlesnake said:
Nobody thought Blaze sucked when he was in Wolfsbane. Face it, the only reason people have been slagging an otherwise decent vocalist is the because of the position he was put in. Sure Bruce was better, but face it, ANYBODY could have sung on those two albums and would have gotten the same booing and name-calling from broken-hearted "fans".

Exactly, exactly, EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoever got that position would always get compared to Bruce and let's face it, no-one was ever gonna be able to fill those shoes - NO-ONE!!

Rattlesnake said:

My vote for worst song was only done half-heartedly. I mean how bad are even the worst Maiden songs? I'll rate "Angel and the Gambler" a close second, but it's a poor example of that album. Listen to "When Worlds Collide", or "The Educated Fool".

Steve Harris is an excellent songwriter as well as bassist. All the rest of the boys are outstanding musicians. If someone hadn't stepped up to the plate to sing those songs, we would never have heard them, and that would have been a damn shame. Sure, they might have sounded better with Bruce on the mike, but what was the rest of the band supposed to do while he was getting "Shoot all the Clowns" out of his system?

Yet, I seem to be the only one who doesn't think Maiden should just break up every time Bruce gets a wild hair up his ass. If it really is all about the singer, then why are we even listening to heavy metal in the first place? Shouldn't we be scouring the bargain bins for CD's by American Idol losers?

Actually I hated Fear of the Dark and No Prayer For the Dying and Bruce sings on those, so your theory is out right there. In fact I would probably rather listen to the X factour than Fear of the Dark, and thats saying a lot because besides "Sign of the Cross" I don't like that album. If Bruce sang on the X factor or Virtual XI I still wouldn't have cared for those albums, Blaze just makes them that much worse.

There is no doubt that Steve Harris is a genious, one of the best Bass players to ever step on a stage, I never have debated that

I think Blaze has a terrible voice not only in Maiden but in everything he does. There are a million singers that would have been better for Iron Maiden. Shit even Sabastian Bach sounds better than Blaze on his Children of the Damned cover.

I agree that nobody could ever replace the shoes of Bruce Dickinson and no matter who the vocalist is they would get slack. That being said I still say Blaze sucks and they could have definetely found a better replacement.

"Actually I hated Fear of the Dark and No Prayer For the Dying and Bruce sings on those, so your theory is out right there." - ironmaidenfan09

Not necessarily. Not everybody thinks that way. In fact, Fear of the Dark was pretty popular at the time. Besides, I never heard anyone say that while the X-albums were being released. All I ever heard was, "Fuck Blaze! Fuck Blaze! Fuck Blaze!" I never heard anyone talk about anything else regarding either album. Maybe I got the wrong impression, but can you blame me?

What these guys said "Bring Your Daughter" and "Brave New World eara " sucks? Tisk, tisk, such a serious lack of taste, those are good songs...

Anyway the replacement singer for Maiden sucked and I can't even listen to that stuff at all.

Same thing with Judas Priest when they had that replacement singer, he really sucked and I couldn’t listen to it at all.

With Judas Priest it wasn't the same thing. Ripper was also a decent vocalist (he's doing a great job with Iced Earth now), but when he joined the band, they changed their whole sound. They tried to jump on the industrial bandwagon. That's the only reason I don't own those albums. Once Halford came back, the rest of the band quit trying to be something they weren't. On a sidenote, during the Ripper era, Glen Tipton released a solo album. I wonder what that was like. Has anyone heard it?

Your statement regarding "the replacement singer" just reinforces what I wrote in my previous post.

I agree with you about songs, though. "No Prayer..." was a lame album but it did have a few good songs. Brave New World was an excellent album. I surprised to hear how many people hated it.

Rattlesnake - You know after hearing these replacement singers try to sing this stuff I've thought that it would be better to get a chick to sing Priest, Queen, Rush or Maiden, because honestly, I don't think very many dudes can sing it very well, they just don't have higher ranges with clarity. That Ripper guy sounded like he was going through puberty trying to sing “The Ripper” or “Metal Gods”.