What is the worst Iron Maiden song ever recorded?

Macca_Aus said:
Holy Smoke is cheezy as hell... Maybe it was the cheezy video clip that makes the song cheezy to me, i'm not sure...lol

The Blaze era was a shocker. Even though I think Blaze did release some good material after Maiden like the Silicone Messiah album is great. I don't think Maiden wrote the right music to suit Blaze's voice to be honest. Blaze in the right band is a fantastic singer, but don't give him classic Maiden tunes to sing lol.

Those knocking Ripper in Priest may not have seen him perform live with them? I've seen Halford performing Priest songs in the Fight era, and Priest with Ripper, and believe me on the tours out here Ripper was very close to the mark. Definately not as good as Halford, but definately well within the ballpark so to speak. Damn shame he's not in Iced Earth now.. Looking forward to his new project though!

Now you see, RouxBodine, this is an opinion I respect. I still don't agree with all of it, but that's irrelevant. Don't you see how this guy's argument differs from others I may have taken issue with? The only time I don't consider an opinion valid is when it comes from a knee-jerk reaction, rather than being thought out. I don't just go off on people because they don't have the same tastes I do. So please try to understand where I'm coming from.

By the way, what's Ripper doing now? Who's singing for Iced Earth? That band has more line-up changes than a baseball team!

Hey Rattlesnake, I'm glad you respect my opinion here mate. I try to stay objective with my thoughts (being a radio DJ I have to..) towards music as I realise everyone does have different tastes in style. What do u think of Blaze as a singer (in or out of Maiden)?

As for Blaze era Maiden songs, the only tracks I thought were worthy of listening to were Man On The Edge and Futureal. These tracks really suited Blazes voice, it's a shame Maiden didn't write more songs to suit his voice.

Tim "Ripper" Owens is now singing for his own band called Beyond Fear http://www.timripperowens.com/ . I'm not sure who is singing for Iced Earth now, or if they even have a new vocalist. The news on their site is only as recent as May 05.

Macca_Aus said:
Holy Smoke is cheezy as hell... Maybe it was the cheezy video clip that makes the song cheezy to me, i'm not sure...lol

The Blaze era was a shocker. Even though I think Blaze did release some good material after Maiden like the Silicone Messiah album is great. I don't think Maiden wrote the right music to suit Blaze's voice to be honest. Blaze in the right band is a fantastic singer, but don't give him classic Maiden tunes to sing lol.

Those knocking Ripper in Priest may not have seen him perform live with them? I've seen Halford performing Priest songs in the Fight era, and Priest with Ripper, and believe me on the tours out here Ripper was very close to the mark. Definately not as good as Halford, but definately well within the ballpark so to speak. Damn shame he's not in Iced Earth now.. Looking forward to his new project though!
I agree with you 100% dude, Blaze is excellent in his element and Ripper is an incredible singer. I can't wait to hear the new Beyond Fear cd.
My pick for the worst maiden song is: The Angel and the Gambler (waaay too long).

I guess I've been so busy defending Blaze from the people who want to rip him apart, I never really got around to weighing in on his performance.

Out of Maiden: I've only heard one Wolfsbane album. It took a while to grow on me. Despite the quality of the songs, I liked the vocals. I really don't understand why a few people called him "tone-deaf" (Actually, I do understand but I don't want to get into that again.). I heard a few samples of his solo stuff and what little I heard sounded great. I'm still on the lookout for those albums. A lot of other people hate it just because...you know.

In Maiden: Sigh. Let's get this over with. I liked him. There, I said it! Is he as good as Bruce? Not by a long shot (who is?). Is he as good as Paul? New Paul? Definitely! Old Paul? Don't know, can't decide. So it may be that he was Iron Maiden's worst singer, but that's not saying much, is it? Of the two albums, "Virtual XI" was much better.

Funny thing about the Blaze songs you mentioned: he co-wrote both of them! No wonder they suited his voice. "2 a.m." is another nice one.

I still think "Mother Russia" is the worst song, but "The Angel and the Gambler" is a close second. I'd still like to see the video, though.

Hi Folks!

First post on here and it has to be on that old chestnut of the bad Iron Maiden song...

Lets set my stall out first...

The Angel And The Gambler. It has to be... I'm with the other person on this thread who doesn't mind keyboard as an accompliment but I almost puked when I first heard this tune. FFS all my mates knew I'd bought the single the day it came out and were on their way round to have a listen!!! :OMG: There are other songs I'm not keen on but I have to say this one is the ONLY Maiden song I refuse to listen to; Even though I think it DID work live when I saw then Virtual XI tour... (anyone who didn't see that tour, I promise you, it did)

Right. I'm gonna stop there on that one coz I'm hearing the "dah...dah..dah.dah" from the utterly 'kin awful bontempi organ in ma heed!!!

A close second for me would be VIRUS... But only for the absolutely abismal sound quality.

As for this threads other subject...

IMO.

Blaze. At the time he joined. For the length of time he was in the band...

Was THE best thing that could've happened for Maiden.

He was younger and relatively unknown when compared with some of the other names tipped for the job (so brought little negative baggage with him).

He did/still does have a good voice (granted, no good for singing SOME maiden classics). Have a listen to his version of Afraid To Shoot Strangers. He's far better than Bruce there...

He could write/help write some decent songs (take your pick form those).

But most importantly, he wasn't Bruce. That obviously generated more interest in the band than if nothing had changed. I honestly think if it weren't for Blaze, Maiden wouldn't still be here. Not if Bruce had stayed and certainly not if Blaze had!

Lastly, no-one's mentioned the impact of Adrian Smith leaving the band! That guy was instrumental on so many classics. I'd wager people would still say Brave New World was a big improvement on Virtual XI even if Blaze was still singing...

While I champion pretty much any Maiden song ever done (even the ones fans call mediocre I think are good tracks), there are two that the band should have never recorded because they are aweful. "Pass the Jam" and "More Tea Vicar" from two different DOD singles are suppose to be funny, light-hearted tracks, but they are very painful to listen to. They aren't even close to being funny, and musically, they don't even sound like Maiden tracks.

They are crap. These are the only two Maiden songs I've ever bashed. Thank God they aren't on an album. Everything else the band has put out I'll defend to the end.

Your take on the Blaze era is interesting and thought-provoking, but there's one thing I'm very curious about:

graham24931 said:
He was younger and relatively unknown when compared with some of the other names tipped for the job.

Who were these other names? I've got to know! Anyone else know?

One more thing, you are absolutely right about Adrian. I feel kinda bad now for not mentioning him before.

Rattlesnake said:
Your take on the Blaze era is interesting and thought-provoking, but there's one thing I'm very curious about:

Who were these other names? I've got to know! Anyone else know?

One more thing, you are absolutely right about Adrian. I feel kinda bad now for not mentioning him before.

Two major names are Andre Matos, formerly of Angra, and Doogie White (later famous for being in Rainbow and Yngwie Malmsteem's band). Doogie was well known in the UK and it was just understood that it would be a matter of time before he got picked up by some big band.

No one outside of the UK was even given consideration, which really left the choice being between Doogie White and Blaze Bayley. The band had known Blaze for a while, and they also didn't want someone who could be "accused" of being a Dickinson clone, so they went with Blaze.

Now that is interesting! I don't know how well Matos would have fit in, but I have a 2-disc Maiden Tribute called "The Number One Beast", on which Doogie sings, "Hallowed Be Thy Name", "The Evil That Men Do", "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter", and "The Clairvoyant". He sounds great! Maybe he would've been a better choice than Blaze. Don't anyone bother flaming me on how lame tribute albums are. I know. But that doesn't mean I can't allow myself a few, especially if they're Maiden. Hey, there's some good tributes out there.

Rattlesnake said:
Don't anyone bother flaming me on how lame tribute albums are. I know. But that doesn't mean I can't allow myself a few, especially if they're Maiden. Hey, there's some good tributes out there.

Hey Rattlesnake! I don't think you have to worry about getting flamed for having a positive post about a tribute album on this forum, especially if it's a good 'un! :D

Oh yeah. What was I thinking? Well, I did say there were some good ones. I just thought I remembered reading something negative about some of the others, especially the one I mentioned.

By the way, you're a fox. I know that's nothing new, but I think it bears repeating. Was there another Bruce Chickenson before you or has it always been you?

Brucey baby is a god i'll admit but no-one can forget paul and blaze yeah bruce beats them hands down but they're still a huge part of maiden history. in answer to the origional question "Run to the hills" has to be by far the worst cheesyest song maiden have ever done...it's a pop song on a metal albulm, there can't be any worse. I guarantee that if u ask any trendy or pop kid or even sum emo kid the only maiden song they'll know and like is run to the bloody hills. Best songs have to be "hallowed be thy name" and "infinite dreams"

Rattlesnake said:
Now that is interesting! I don't know how well Matos would have fit in, but I have a 2-disc Maiden Tribute called "The Number One Beast", on which Doogie sings, "Hallowed Be Thy Name", "The Evil That Men Do", "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter", and "The Clairvoyant". He sounds great! Maybe he would've been a better choice than Blaze. Don't anyone bother flaming me on how lame tribute albums are. I know. But that doesn't mean I can't allow myself a few, especially if they're Maiden. Hey, there's some good tributes out there.

I consider the choise between Doogie White and Blaze a toss-up. Doogie is easily more adept to performing Maiden's songs, but I don't think much of him as a song-writer. Blaze, on the other hand, is a competent (if not excellent) song-writer.

Personally, I think Andre Matos would have been the best fit musically. However, just his presence in the band, alone and by being a non-Briton, would have taken away the British arrogance image the band is famous for and quite proud of.

Worst song ever was already mentioned, but I have to say it too - "The Apparition" should have been called "The Aberration" or "The Abortion - of a
Good Song" or something. There isn't a redeeming note in the whole song - the words seemed crammed in to fit some bad filler music. I mention all this not to dwell negatively, but for us all to realize that even the greatest metal band of all time isn't always perfect and that not even Maiden can escape brief temporary bouts of mediocrity. A lesson to keep in mind in our own lives and our expectations of others perhaps?

Yes Angel and Gambler is plain bad too and here's why. Friggin' Blaze sings the chorus "Don't you think I'm a savior, Don't you think I could save you, Don't you think I could save your life" like 456 times in a row without changing a note or inflection ONCE. Geezus, miserable. Oh well, he did give us Futureal and The Clansman on the same album, so you're forgiven Blazy Boy.

That's another thing. Doesn't anybody else remember "The Clansman"? Why do people think "Angel and the Gambler" epitomizes "Virtual XI" and then ignore "The Clansman"? I always thought that one was quite popular, even among the Blaze-haters.