The New Strapping Young Lad

blakmetalemp said:
SYL is supposed to be noisey and chaotic and they kick ass at it. Ill never understand why people are so hellbent on bad mouthing something they dont like. Move on to something else already. Maybe its a jealousy thing, who knows.
:lol:

blakmetalemp said:
SYL is supposed to be noisey and chaotic and they kick ass at it. Ill never understand why people are so hellbent on bad mouthing something they dont like. Move on to something else already. Maybe its a jealousy thing, who knows.

Well actually I guess that many of you guys here are just not questionning thereselves enough and are too childish. This above is a good question. People like Jean-Pierre are so fast at saying "fuck this and that..." not even prooving adequatly that this is shit. At the first point...I think the post was mostly dedicated to people who liked SYL in the first place. So they could give their opinion on their last album.

For all the dickheads who say that SYL sucks only......because they "think" SYL sucks...well that's the fucking worst opinion we sadly hear too often in general music discussion. It is just an amasingly shitty way of saying you don't like SYL. If you don't like them..... alright...but hey! they don't suck because of it.

Finally, as a "Death" singer, Devin Townsend is incredible. As a "clean" singer...ok, he may be not so good, but he is not "clean" singing...so fuck it. And finally, saying that SYL is just a big mass distorsion shit is prooving that you have no "hearing" capabilities to some point. I agree on the fact that there is a lot of distorsion and that sounds real "fat" and loud.. but that's the goal of SYL. And as a musician, I can tell you that these guys are hot, even if they don't play what I am used to.

Actually, Devin's a far better clean singer than death, but whatever. :)

SYL's purpose is to embody musical excess in a metal template. City is a prime example. 20 second screams, overbearing distortion, ridiculously overdone lyrics, haphazard riff/chording for the sake of sounding as heavy "as a really heavy thing." It's not a serious project in the sense that Dark Angel was, although I think the argument of the two bands only came up because of Gene Hoglan, as the two otherwise have little in common.

I suppose heaviness is subjective, so fans of humorously overblown quasi-death metal-industrial blend will claim SYL is heavier, and fans of Hiroshima-level thrash destruction will claim Dark Angel.

I like both, and simply hope that the new album's better than the s/t, which was hardly musical excess, and therefore, pointless in the face of Devy's solo work. Ocean Machine: Biomech being my favorite and Terria my second.

Total: $0.02
Paid

Have a nice day.

anonymousnick2001 said:

SYL's purpose is to embody musical excess in a metal template. City is a prime example. 20 second screams, overbearing distortion, ridiculously overdone lyrics, haphazard riff/chording for the sake of sounding as heavy "as a really heavy thing." It's not a serious project in the sense that Dark Angel was, although I think the argument of the two bands only came up because of Gene Hoglan, as the two otherwise have little in common.

I suppose heaviness is subjective, so fans of humorously overblown quasi-death metal-industrial blend will claim SYL is heavier, and fans of Hiroshima-level thrash destruction will claim Dark Angel.

I like both, and simply hope that the new album's better than the s/t, which was hardly musical excess, and therefore, pointless in the face of Devy's solo work. Ocean Machine: Biomech being my favorite and Terria my second.

Paid

Have a nice day.

Finally someone who can say something else than " it fucking sucks duhhhhh you guys are so stupid "
I agree 100% for the s/t too, it wasn't what we would expect after an album such as City. You can download their new track " Shitstorm " and it's 10x heavier than "Relentless". It looks like they got back to their City style. Devin should do more palm muting though, but it still sounds great.

Strapping Young Lad is half-way decent when Devin takes it easy on the Industrial shit and isn't trying to sing melodically.

Are you implying that you don't recognize the Industrial overtones rampant on much of SYL's material, and/or the poor attempts of melodic vocals? If so, you suck at comprehending music.

No, I just haven't listened to their entire discography, dumbass. I've listened to City and some of the s/t. You suck at making suppositions.

Well when i saw SYL it was right when the self titled came out and I didnt really know them that well. I remember the RAINY season, SYL , relentless and AFTERMATH, but I couldnt remember much else , I got kinda drunk.But all those that I remember I loved and thought it was fucking amazing, just a huge wall of sound.

anonymousnick2001 said:

Paid

Have a nice day.

You know how to argument hehe, I like that and I agree on almost everything you said. For the clean singing part... I have to admit that I didn't hear him clean singing so much.. so. But I really appreciate his death voice, like in "oh my fucking god" for example. And eventhough I agree, I still like them.

I find all of the "SYL rocks, and you're just not smart enough to get it!" people hillarious. They're no different than Slipknot (down to the lyrics), except that they're somehow accepted in metal circles.

As overrated as Dark Angel is, their worst could piss all over SYL's best any day of the week.