The News Thread

I'm surprised you liked that article, pretty MSNBC-y. Debate last night sounds ridiculous haha I wonder what the polls are saying.

I'm surprised you liked that article, pretty MSNBC-y. Debate last night sounds ridiculous haha I wonder what the polls are saying.

Well I had to ignore the quite biased take on Our Lord and Savior Bernie vs Nasty Boy Trump. That bias though, I hope, should enhance the acceptance of what is extremely obvious to anyone who doesn't base their projections on wishful thinking.

http://thereformedbroker.com/2016/02/25/abundance/

The whole thing is a good read but I guess this segment is as good as any other for a quotable:

What’s the business model? “We go public or get bought out by someone with the opposite problem – too much profit, not enough user growth.” The business model is an exit for the investors. “BlackRock will eat it. They’ll eat anything.” No one cares how many actual business models get wrecked in the process. How many useful jobs are lost in the process. The new fixed income or currency trader on Wall Street will never need health care, or take a vacation or grab a female co-worker’s ass. It’s a chip on a server. Much cheaper to employ, much easier to manage.

Automate everything, outsource the rest – it’s cheaper for the customers. “But now there are no customers left, no one has the money to be a customer anymore.”

Congrats on your efficiency.

• Start up
  • Cash in
  • Sell out
  • Bro down
“Let’s take a product or service that people used to charge for, make a worse version and give it away for free!” Why would we do that? “Bro down.”

Clay Christensen’s book on disruption, ‘The Innovator’s Dilemma’, has been twisted into an entirely different book. It was once the Bible, now it’s the Necronomicon – the book of the dead.

Even money is free. The people and firms with the least need to borrow it can borrow it with abandon. Apple can have as much money as it wants, virtually free. They have no idea what to do with it. The US and German and Japanese governments can borrow for free. Then what? There is nowhere to put the money and no will to risk using it for the future. The electorate is old. They don’t care about the future. They don’t have one, just a present. We live in their basement. We live in their extended past.

I'm reading the RS Trump article, some good analyses

"Like the actual circus, (campaigning) is a roving business. Cash flows to campaigns from people and donors; campaigns buy ads; ads pay for journalists; journalists assess candidates. Somewhat unsurprisingly, the ever-growing press corps tends in most years to like – or at least deem "most serious" – the candidates who buy the most ads. Nine out of 10 times in America, the candidate who raises the most money wins.

And those candidates then owe the most favors.

Meaning that for the pleasure of being able to watch insincere campaign coverage and see manipulative political ads on TV for free, we end up having to pay inflated Medicare drug prices, fund bank bailouts with our taxes, let billionaires pay 17 percent tax rates, and suffer a thousand other indignities.

Trump is right: Because Jeb Bush can't afford to make his own commercials, he would go into the White House in the pocket of a drug manufacturer. It really is that stupid.

The triumvirate of big media, big donors and big political parties has until now successfully excluded every challenge to its authority. But like every aristocracy, it eventually got lazy and profligate, too sure it was loved by the people. It's now shocked that voters in depressed ex-factory towns won't keep pulling the lever for "conservative principles," or that union members bitten a dozen times over by a trade deal won't just keep voting Democratic on cue."

Reactions: CiG and Dak

I recommend that you read more than just the headline.

"By JC Torpey on December 5, 2015"

If you look further, they also predicted that Jeb Bush would win the Republican nomination (haha) and that Sanders would slaughter Clinton in South Carolina (hahahaha). Sanders is dead. Nice try middle-class white college students everywhere, but it's not happening.

EDIT: And really, "unbeated since 1975" is supposed to be that impressive? That's 10 elections, at least half of which were landslides and likely obvious. My maternal grandmother takes pride in being in tune with America on the whole, and has voted with the winning candidate every single election except for 2000 and 2004 (obviously, she thinks Dubya stole that first one :p ). And that would be going back to probably Eisenhower. People should be asking for her prediction this time around.

PLgBIh1.jpg