The News Thread

Next time, take five seconds to think about what you say before posting. A typical DMV is open 9-5 M-F, which are the most common work hours. It's impossible to be in two places at once.

Okay fuckface, I took more than 5 seconds and I still think your position is terrible.
Everybody can take a day off from work for something important like photo I.D. even though that's silly to begin with since it's mostly unemployed people that are talked about in your link.

Also, where did you get the free I.D. notion from? So far as I know, none of the states with voter I.D. laws offer free I.D.s.

Direct quote from the link you provided.

Ten states now have unprecedented restrictive voter ID laws. Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Mississippi, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin all require citizens to produce specific types of government-issued photo identification before they can cast a vote that will count. Legal precedent requires these states to provide free photo ID to eligible voters who do not have one.

Unfortunately, these free IDs are not equally accessible to all voters. This report is the first comprehensive assessment of the difficulties that eligible voters face in obtaining free photo ID.

Unless I'm mistaken (very possibly I am) this says the I.D. is free.

But these reasons are the barriers:

Nearly 500,000 eligible voters do not have access to a vehicle and live more than 10 miles from the nearest state ID-issuing office open more than two days a week. Many of them live in rural areas with dwindling public transportation options.

More than 10 million eligible voters live more than 10 miles from their nearest state ID-issuing office open more than two days a week.

1.2 million eligible black voters and 500,000 eligible Hispanic voters live more than 10 miles from their nearest ID-issuing office open more than two days a week.

Many ID-issuing offices maintain limited business hours. For example, the office in Sauk City, Wisconsin is open only on the fifth Wednesday of any month. But only four months in 2012 — February, May, August, and October — have five Wednesdays. In other states — Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and Texas — many part-time ID-issuing offices are in the rural regions with the highest concentrations of people of color and people in poverty.

These are all pretty weak excuses/reasons it's a racist policy.
Blacks and Hispanics can't take a day off work way in advance in order to make an appointment?

I can't have an argument with someone whose grasp of literally everything involved with this argument is so poor that we may as well be speaking different languages for all the progress being made. You provide numbers that don't support your argument and think they do even after being shown how they dont. You can't stay on topic. Your grasp of logic and ethics is tenuous at best. You regularly display lolable statements/assertions (like that they tend to have 9-5 M-F jobs)about the poor that demonstrate you don't really know anything about being poor. Or a minority.

We aren't on equal footing here and you have shown no good faith attempts at presenting or defending a position. Good day.

This is why I.D. policy for voting is racist? Trash.

By this logic, if you can't make it to the office to receive free I.D. how do they make it to a job? Do we just accept that they'll forever be unemployed because they live too far away/don't have a car? Also how are whites excluded from these circumstances? Being too far away and not owning a car is not a coloured issue.

Plain old racism of low expectations.

@crimsonfloyd you are the racist one here.

You know he is because even after I suggested providing a free ride to get the ID along with the free ID, he's still hollering racism. I can't imagine how difficult life must be for him.

They say in his link provided that free I.D.'s are still inaccessible to x group because the documents to get the I.D. requires funds.

Is this shit serious? The documents you need for an I.D. are roughly the same documents you need to receive welfare, or is that not the case in America?

For an ID you need two proofs of residence. (At least here, not sure if it differs state to state)

You basically have to possess something that says you live at an address, utility bills, w2s, car registration will all work among other things.

If you can't cough those up you can't get a drivers license. But even at that if you can get someone you live with to provide that shit and write a statement that you live with them it still works.

I really don't think it's that hard to get an ID. If you have the required documents that you need in order to even legally work in the United States, you have the required documents that you need to get an ID.

As someone who works in a capacity that requires me to directly interact with poor snd disabled people, I can say for absolute certainty that my real world experience indicates that the majority of them do not work 9-5 jobs.

A proof of residence can be almost any bill delivered to the address that you claim or a paper signed by someone you know that says that you live at a certain address. It isn't hard.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/acceptable-documents

These are the documents that you are required by law to have in order to get a job in the United States. You either need one in category A or one each from category B and C. You also need the same type of documents to establish your identity when getting a state ID for the first time.

In order to even be working that 9-5 job that makes getting an ID so difficult, they have to have these documents in the first place.

He's not saying that blacks, or Hispanics, or poor people are incompetent in and of themselves - in other words, he's not saying they're incompetent because they're black, Hispanic, or poor. He's saying they don't have the material means necessary to overcome specific social conditions. I suppose we should define where exactly the incompetency lies - that matters after all, doesn't it?

He sure is saying that, he just doesn't know it. If these demographics are assumed to be unable to meet these standards in order to attain a free I.D. am I to believe it is also to be assumed that they will never find employment?

If travelling is a problem, it's a problem for holding down a job too. And that's before they've even left their front door.

I'm not sure he is saying that; or you and Dak are perceiving something in his comments that I'm missing.

He's not saying that a black person's blackness is an essential quality prohibiting that person from competent action. In other words, he's not saying that the incompetency lies innately within a particular subject. He's saying that a person's ethnicity, or class, or nationality, etc. contributes to a cultural impression of that subject, which in turn has an impact on policy, and that racial bias feeds into these policies.

Even after the racial language is removed, if it was there to begin with, this doesn't remove the structural aspects by which the policy targeted a specific group of people. This is the definition of "systemic racism" - there doesn't need to be any racial language present. Rather, it stems from the structural details to which the racial language was attached.

This is the irresolvable dilemma of black history in America. Fugitive slave laws meant that any black person was viewed with suspicion by law enforcement, even if they'd been freed - an early example of racial profiling, we might say. The Thirteenth Amendment abolished slavery, but it did nothing to improve their financial positions. So blacks who happened to possess a fair amount of wealth - whether they'd earned it, or inherited it from their owners (unlikely) - were viewed equally with suspicion if not derision. They were targeted as criminals who had probably stolen their wealth/possessions. This is part of a cycle that hasn't really gone away, we've just taken care to remove the language of race from the policies that originally were racial in nature. Much of the material structure is still there.

Obviously, language is important, and removing it is a good thing. I'm no policy strategist or scientist, so I don't have any solutions for the issue of racial profiling. But I do think it still exists.

He's saying policy makers use statistics that show racial disparity with regard to owning an I.D. to further a racist agenda. I understand that he thinks that's what is going on, even if that is what's going on his claim that it's unconstitutional is very flawed.

Making a policy that has unintended (because you can't prove it's racist and it doesn't exclusively negatively affect "minorities") consequences especially for black people isn't a violation of the constitution. Restricting voting for non-whites would be racist, that affects all non-whites regardless of market success or ownership of I.D. but requiring I.D. in order to vote does not restrict any "minority" already in possession of an I.D.

He's saying that a person's ethnicity, or class, or nationality, etc. contributes to a cultural impression of that subject, which in turn has an impact on policy, and that racial bias feeds into these policies.

He's pointing at a house and shouting "ghost" and then expecting everyone else to become ghostbusters in order to disprove his claim.

Sorry, we're not mediums, you can't just say "there's a cultural assumption that blacks are so incompetent they don't even have I.D.'s so lets require I.D.'s before they can vote because racism" and expect that to fly.
It requires evidence, not the waving tentacles of a victimology octopus composing the sweet sounds of 'muh systemic racism.'

The Thirteenth Amendment abolished slavery, but it did nothing to improve their financial positions.

Abolishing slavery is in itself a financial improvement, should they have received reparations the moment of abolition? Probably, that's a whole different discussion.

But I really don't see what slavery has to do with this, it's a stretch to say that it has anything to do with attaining an I.D. (for free I might add, in states that require it to vote.)

This is part of a cycle that hasn't really gone away, we've just taken care to remove the language of race from the policies that originally were racial in nature. Much of the material structure is still there.

Black people have the right to vote, what possible material structure could you be referring to? Because requiring an I.D. in a country where voting isn't mandatory is hardly a product of systemic racism. If voting were mandatory like it is here and not voting was a fineable offence like it is here, yet it required I.D. to even vote to begin with, therefore creating a cycle of poor people being perpetually fined, I might have some sympathy for this claim.

So far I've seen no evidence that it's racist, only that there are standards being imposed to avoid/catch voter fraud and these standards bring with them very low costs which are projected (not proven) to make it harder for poor people to vote, and 'poor people' as a category is not 100% one race, therefore blacks and Hispanics are affected negatively, potentially.

Edit: Let me frame it another way.

If requiring I.D. to vote is racist because it apparently uses statistics showing racial disparity in who is more likely to have/attain an I.D. and therefore violates the constitution - it's also racist to require I.D. and background checks in order to legally purchase a gun which is a constitutional right because background checks and I.D. requirements statistically negatively affect black people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dak
I'm going to post this response because I bothered to write it, but I'm not really doing it to convince you. The perspectives that several of us occupy in this discussion have less to do with truth and falsity and more to do with interpretative approaches. Information, despite what we like to think, can always be read in more than one way, and it produces varying outcomes depending on what's done with it. When it comes to racism in modern America, I don't think there's anything to be proven one way or another. I think it's an unverifiable truth - i.e. a reading of social relations that remains unprovable because we're all within those relations.

He's saying policy makers use statistics that show racial disparity with regard to owning an I.D. to further a racist agenda. I understand that he thinks that's what is going on, even if that is what's going on his claim that it's unconstitutional is very flawed.

I've been ignoring the constitutional aspect of the discussion, because it would be hypocritical of me to appeal to that document. But I think arguing over whether this whole voter I.D. business is constitutional or not invites endless speculative interpretation, since the Constitution is a notoriously ambiguous and occasionally grammatically suspect piece of literature.

The Constitution was written to be argued over, not to be transparent.

He's pointing at a house and shouting "ghost" and then expecting everyone else to become ghostbusters in order to disprove his claim.

Sorry, we're not mediums, you can't just say "there's a cultural assumption that blacks are so incompetent they don't even have I.D.'s so lets require I.D.'s before they can vote because racism" and expect that to fly.
It requires evidence, not the waving tentacles of a victimology octopus composing the sweet sounds of 'muh systemic racism.'

Man, your comments sound so much like Dak's sometimes! :rofl: I'm not even talking about content, just the tone and slang/vocab that you use. It's funny.

But, as far as cultural impressions go, we have plenty of evidence that they used to exist - we have the writings of white slaveholders. Now, clearly popular opinions on race have changed over the past two centuries, so it would be foolish to say that such assumptions are still widespread. All I'm suggesting is that many blacks still face structural inhibitions that did not entirely dissipate after the abolition of slavery. Their inability to overcome these inhibitions feeds a cycle of cultural perception, leading others to ask why blacks haven't been able to raise their quality of life as much as, say, Chinese immigrants. This in turn leads to speculative theories about inherent racial qualities.

I do not want to ruffle any feathers, but Dak has opined as much in the past; comparing blacks to Holocaust survivors and asking why, if the latter group can't bring themselves back to prosperity, why can't the former? It's a topic we disagree fundamentally on, and it bears on the current debate. It's why I raised the slavery issue, to respond to your comment:

But I really don't see what slavery has to do with this, it's a stretch to say that it has anything to do with attaining an I.D. (for free I might add, in states that require it to vote.)

Because abolishing slavery didn't actually level the playing field at all. Now, maybe there's a whole topic of discussion as to whether it should, or what can be done in this case. But that doesn't mean the structural inhibitions don't bear the evidence of their racial origins.

Black people have the right to vote, what possible material structure could you be referring to? Because requiring an I.D. in a country where voting isn't mandatory is hardly a product of systemic racism. If voting were mandatory like it is here and not voting was a fineable offence like it is here, yet it required I.D. to even vote to begin with, therefore creating a cycle of poor people being perpetually fined, I might have some sympathy for this claim.

My argument would be that not all poverties are equal, and that black poverty has an extraordinarily different history than white poverty. This is not to say that one is worse than the other, but that one is undeniably racially founded. Africans were brought to this country as slaves and then emancipated with very little material wealth and very little understanding of how exactly they were expected to behave in a market as free agents. Additionally, they were treated skeptically by many whites, even northern whites. They have gained considerable advances, including the rights to own property and to vote; but having the right to do something doesn't magically bestow the ability to exercise that right. After all, rights are nothing more than political constructs.

The position that I think cf takes, and that I probably gravitate toward, is that black poverty is helplessly racially structured, and I would appeal to history and cultural attitudes toward blacks to back this up. So when you say that modern legislation isn't racist because it gives blacks the same rights as whites, this doesn't really acknowledge the point that I want to make. Racism is a historical institution and tradition, and its historical explicitness informs its contemporary implicitness. This does not mean that we can't identify factors other than race in the plights of black culture; but for me, it means we always have to consider it. I'm okay with it being a talking point. I don't feel white guilt or anything like that, but I'm comfortable with the notion that the conditions of African Americans likely has a lot to do with their history of enslavement.

All I got out of that was Pat said I sound like a minority ;).

I think the main point of disagreement between CIG/myself and you and maybe cf is that CIG/I don't agree that black or other minority poverty is "helplessly" racially structured.

When it comes to racism in modern America, I don't think there's anything to be proven one way or another. I think it's an unverifiable truth - i.e. a reading of social relations that remains unprovable because we're all within those relations.

That's convenient.

I've been ignoring the constitutional aspect of the discussion, because it would be hypocritical of me to appeal to that document. But I think arguing over whether this whole voter I.D. business is constitutional or not invites endless speculative interpretation, since the Constitution is a notoriously ambiguous and occasionally grammatically suspect piece of literature.

The Constitution was written to be argued over, not to be transparent.

Okay well that's fine, I'm going to go ahead and dismiss the entire "it's unconstitutional" tangent in that case.

Man, your comments sound so much like Dak's sometimes! :rofl: I'm not even talking about content, just the tone and slang/vocab that you use. It's funny.

thomas-sowell-lol-o.gif

But, as far as cultural impressions go, we have plenty of evidence that they used to exist - we have the writings of white slaveholders.

Yes, used to exist, negative cultural impressions used to exist for plenty of demographics, this merely feeds back into the endless tautology of the 'black success rate vs. other non-whites' in America.
It doesn't even begin to address realities such as, black immigrants doing better than black natives, even with language barriers included or anti-Muslim bias that many people talk about.

Now, clearly popular opinions on race have changed over the past two centuries, so it would be foolish to say that such assumptions are still widespread. All I'm suggesting is that many blacks still face structural inhibitions that did not entirely dissipate after the abolition of slavery. Their inability to overcome these inhibitions feeds a cycle of cultural perception, leading others to ask why blacks haven't been able to raise their quality of life as much as, say, Chinese immigrants. This in turn leads to speculative theories about inherent racial qualities.

I believe you're right in diagnosing the problem as cultural, but I think the problem lies within black American culture rather than with those on the outside looking in.
These inhibitions you talk about seem to have worsened the further we move away from the slave era. Something to think about.

Though I think your comment acts as a window into your own views on black people, because people like me (and I assume @Dak) don't look at black history in America and say "okay these people just aren't trying hard enough, look at these other "minorities" they're improving," because we tend to view the welfare state as one of the main factors in the retarding of black American success.

From the basic degradation that comes with having entire generations on welfare to policies that aided in the destruction of the black family unit, I don't question the inferiority of blacks, though I would question why the hell they keep voting democrat in America (though the answer is obvious, an addict will always choose the option that gives them their fix, regardless of how poisonous that fix is) I simply question the rhetoric of people like you and @crimsonfloyd that excuse black Americans of all responsibility over their own life, that tells them "the man" is keeping them down and that the haunted house across the street is actually the cause of their failings.

Nobody can succeed in an environment like that, especially if you don't have what many Asians or Jews have; traditional, well structured family units driving them forwards through a molasses of victimhood culture.

Because abolishing slavery didn't actually level the playing field at all. Now, maybe there's a whole topic of discussion as to whether it should, or what can be done in this case. But that doesn't mean the structural inhibitions don't bear the evidence of their racial origins.

Abolishing slavery was the first step towards equality of opportunity. What does a "level playing field" mean in this context? It's a vague piece of rhetoric.

Also to get back to this idea of structural inhibitions, how is this specific idea measured or proven? It's interesting because it seems to me that it = looking at statistics of black success of various forms, seeing negative statistics and then just implying that certain subjective emotions on part of the black Americans are the cause.

Am I mistaken? Are you saying that black Americans don't succeed at the rates everyone would like because they feel oppressed and discriminated against and that it curbs their drive?

My argument would be that not all poverties are equal, and that black poverty has an extraordinarily different history than white poverty. This is not to say that one is worse than the other, but that one is undeniably racially founded. Africans were brought to this country as slaves and then emancipated with very little material wealth and very little understanding of how exactly they were expected to behave in a market as free agents. Additionally, they were treated skeptically by many whites, even northern whites. They have gained considerable advances, including the rights to own property and to vote; but having the right to do something doesn't magically bestow the ability to exercise that right.

What you say is obviously a historical fact. Slaves weren't allowed to develop skills, they were purposely kept reliant on the slave owners and this means upon emancipation they didn't enter the market with any skills, beyond pure, raw hard working ability. But in contrast, by many measures we see black Americans having better success the closer we go to the slave era, when things were much more racist, than we do the further we move away from the slave era and things are much less racist.

I would argue that welfare acts like a watered down plantation system of reliance and family destruction and the evidence is that, the more we see welfare reliance, the less we see success in the black community.

After all, rights are nothing more than political constructs.

Rights are not political constructs, protection of rights are. This is why the idea that cheap/free healthcare is a right is flawed, because rights don't vanish the moment everybody loses their job and there's no tax funding anymore. If suddenly there were no tax funds, my right to free speech wouldn't vanish and if someone killed me for expressing an opinion, it would be a violation of my right.

Slavery was a violation of fundamental rights, if you think black people only suddenly had rights the moment government freed them, then you have no basis for freeing slaves to begin with. Since rights are merely political constructs.

The position that I think cf takes, and that I probably gravitate toward, is that black poverty is helplessly racially structured, and I would appeal to history and cultural attitudes toward blacks to back this up. So when you say that modern legislation isn't racist because it gives blacks the same rights as whites, this doesn't really acknowledge the point that I want to make. Racism is a historical institution and tradition, and its historical explicitness informs its contemporary implicitness. This does not mean that we can't identify factors other than race in the plights of black culture; but for me, it means we always have to consider it. I'm okay with it being a talking point. I don't feel white guilt or anything like that, but I'm comfortable with the notion that the conditions of African Americans likely has a lot to do with their history of enslavement.

Well, I see white guilt throughout your entire argument, so lets agree to disagree there. But I still see no proof, merely assumptions that only work if we're thinking on the same wavelength and interpreting things through a certain kind of political lens.

I'm comfortable with the notion that the conditions of African Americans likely has a lot to do with their history of enslavement.

I'm never comfortable with an assumption like that, it tends to ignore the trends of black success in America over the last 153 years. I think you might just be comfortable with the assumption because you're comfortable with the idea that black people are victims.

In the end, lets say I accept all of your points as true, I would like to know how any of it helps black Americans today?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dak
Yes, used to exist, negative cultural impressions used to exist for plenty of demographics, this merely feeds back into the endless tautology of the 'black success rate vs. other non-whites' in America.
It doesn't even begin to address realities such as, black immigrants doing better than black natives, even with language barriers included or anti-Muslim bias that many people talk about.

You know another reality? Other countries didn't continue to terrorize their black populations with Jim Crow laws.

I believe you're right in diagnosing the problem as cultural, but I think the problem lies within black American culture rather than with those on the outside looking in.
These inhibitions you talk about seem to have worsened the further we move away from the slave era. Something to think about.

Though I think your comment acts as a window into your own views on black people, because people like me (and I assume @Dak) don't look at black history in America and say "okay these people just aren't trying hard enough, look at these other "minorities" they're improving," because we tend to view the welfare state as one of the main factors in the retarding of black American success.

Again, you're trying to twist my words into some racist perspective. You're misrepresenting my views when you do this.

As far as I'm concerned, you could put a white person and black person next to each, and both of them could put in equal effort toward success, yet social conditions are statistically more likely to prohibit the black person from achieving success than the white person. This has nothing to do with viewing blacks as not trying as hard or anything like that. I think many of them try just as hard, if not harder.

From the basic degradation that comes with having entire generations on welfare to policies that aided in the destruction of the black family unit, I don't question the inferiority of blacks, though I would question why the hell they keep voting democrat in America (though the answer is obvious, an addict will always choose the option that gives them their fix, regardless of how poisonous that fix is) I simply question the rhetoric of people like you and @crimsonfloyd that excuse black Americans of all responsibility over their own life, that tells them "the man" is keeping them down and that the haunted house across the street is actually the cause of their failings.

Nobody can succeed in an environment like that, especially if you don't have what many Asians or Jews have; traditional, well structured family units driving them forwards through a molasses of victimhood culture.

Calling for more attention to structural issues handed down since slavery and Reconstruction-era, and disciplining blacks that happen to break the law, aren't mutually exclusive policies.

In other words, I do think that we should properly punish those who break the law, including blacks. But I also think we can maintain attention on what I perceive to be large-scale, complex issues that plague the criminal justice and legislative systems.

Abolishing slavery was the first step towards equality of opportunity. What does a "level playing field" mean in this context? It's a vague piece of rhetoric.

A level playing field is a fantasy, but it's a fantasy perpetrated by whites. It's the American Dream, the ideology of Horatio Alger narratives - that anyone, regardless of race or skin color or religion, can achieve anything in America if they work hard enough. I'm saying that when you make an argument suggesting that blacks have as fair a chance now because slavery doesn't exist anymore, that's a bullshit claim.

And if they don't have as fair a chance... then what are we arguing about?

Also to get back to this idea of structural inhibitions, how is this specific idea measured or proven? It's interesting because it seems to me that it = looking at statistics of black success of various forms, seeing negative statistics and then just implying that certain subjective emotions on part of the black Americans are the cause.

Am I mistaken? Are you saying that black Americans don't succeed at the rates everyone would like because they feel oppressed and discriminated against and that it curbs their drive?

Again, this isn't something that can be proven - and I hate that word. You can't prove cultural issues like this, the way you can prove a theorem. They're not the same thing. Furthermore, I believe that all systems - whether formal or social - contain truths that cannot be proven from within the system.

It doesn't have to do with looking at stats now and reading oppression. It has to do with reading the history of blacks in America and seeing a clear line of treatment from slavery, through Reconstruction, through Jim Crow, through segregation, through Civil Rights... the latter of which happened fifty years ago. In the history of the West, that's the length of a pop song. When we talk about blacks in America - demographically, culturally, economically, etc. - we can trace elements from all these categories back to the way(s) blacks have been treated historically. It's no mystery.

What you say is obviously a historical fact. Slaves weren't allowed to develop skills, they were purposely kept reliant on the slave owners and this means upon emancipation they didn't enter the market with any skills, beyond pure, raw hard working ability. But in contrast, by many measures we see black Americans having better success the closer we go to the slave era, when things were much more racist, than we do the further we move away from the slave era and things are much less racist.

I would argue that welfare acts like a watered down plantation system of reliance and family destruction and the evidence is that, the more we see welfare reliance, the less we see success in the black community.

I won't disagree that welfare has something to do with it - but it's not the only factor.

Blacks having "better" success when you go back in time, closer to slavery, is purely relative. You might say it looks like many were better off than some are now, but it's also true that many more are better off now than they were then - much better off. After slavery, Reconstruction installed blacks in positions of power. This was mostly a disaster because they didn't know what they were supposed to do, or how they were supposed to navigate American politics. Afterward, some were successful because they'd developed skills necessary for working while they were enslaved; but industrial work developed between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, and many didn't acquire the skills necessary to keep up with such changes. It didn't help that white employers were typically skeptical of black employees, and admittedly refused to hire them. Black men lost work, while black women were able to transition into the early-20thc workplace. For black men, this was an emasculation, and they took out their frustration on their wives/families - hence you have the beginning of the disintegration of the black family structure.

All of this can be connected to issues stemming from slavery and Reconstruction.

Rights are not political constructs, protection of rights are. This is why the idea that cheap/free healthcare is a right is flawed, because rights don't vanish the moment everybody loses their job and there's no tax funding anymore. If suddenly there were no tax funds, my right to free speech wouldn't vanish and if someone killed me for expressing an opinion, it would be a violation of my right.

Slavery was a violation of fundamental rights, if you think black people only suddenly had rights the moment government freed them, then you have no basis for freeing slaves to begin with. Since rights are merely political constructs.

Sure you do - ethical action doesn't need to appeal to the fantasy of individual rights.

And yes, rights are political constructs. They don't magically exist inside people, they emerge historically as a part of social bonding and participation. A human has no rights in the wilderness.

Well, I see white guilt throughout your entire argument, so lets agree to disagree there. But I still see no proof, merely assumptions that only work if we're thinking on the same wavelength and interpreting things through a certain kind of political lens.

Again, you can't ask for proof - unless I can ask you to prove to me that rights exist.

I'm never comfortable with an assumption like that, it tends to ignore the trends of black success in America over the last 153 years. I think you might just be comfortable with the assumption because you're comfortable with the idea that black people are victims.

Or, I acknowledge that many black people have succeeded in America despite the odds stacked against them. In many cases, black people have become more successful than whites. That's impressive, but it doesn't mean the issues I'm talking about are somehow nonexistent.

In the end, lets say I accept all of your points as true, I would like to know how any of it helps black Americans today?

How can it hurt to consider the impact of complex, deep-seated historical structures that are less than one hundred years old? It's irresponsible to think they no longer have any consequences.

You know another reality? Other countries didn't continue to terrorize their black populations with Jim Crow laws.

So you're saying black immigrants and their children show a greater rate of success in America vs. native black people because Jim Crow laws existed 61 years ago and Jim Crow laws never existed in other countries where black people might immigrate from?

As far as I'm concerned, you could put a white person and black person next to each, and both of them could put in equal effort toward success, yet social conditions are statistically more likely to prohibit the black person from achieving success than the white person. This has nothing to do with viewing blacks as not trying as hard or anything like that. I think many of them try just as hard, if not harder.

Why is it due to social conditions and not say, coming from a single mother household? I agree that there is a higher rate of failure with the black person, no matter how equal the effort, because cultures are not equal.

'Black teen from fatherless home, welfare reliant family history and told by all those around him/her that they can't succeed because "the man" has the game rigged against them vs. white teen from a traditional family structure, taught how to earn and manage money before they've even entered into a career' is most definitely a very unequal comparison.

However, as you can obviously tell from what I'm saying, I view the issue very differently. I repeat; it's an issue of culture, not an issue of systemic racism and a history of slavery/Jim Crow.

That's not to say that those two historical facts don't play some role, but where you're much more comfortable in ghostbusting, I'm interested in what can be proven.

The idea that slavery and Jim Crow is responsible for black people being unable to retrieve a free I.D. because it's too far away/they don't own a car is quite laughable and since no substantive argument or evidence has been provided to that end, I laugh rather comfortably.

Calling for more attention to structural issues handed down since slavery and Reconstruction-era, and disciplining blacks that happen to break the law, aren't mutually exclusive policies.

In other words, I do think that we should properly punish those who break the law, including blacks. But I also think we can maintain attention on what I perceive to be large-scale, complex issues that plague the criminal justice and legislative systems

Structural issues such as?

A level playing field is a fantasy, but it's a fantasy perpetrated by whites. It's the American Dream, the ideology of Horatio Alger narratives - that anyone, regardless of race or skin color or religion, can achieve anything in America if they work hard enough. I'm saying that when you make an argument suggesting that blacks have as fair a chance now because slavery doesn't exist anymore, that's a bullshit claim.

And if they don't have as fair a chance... then what are we arguing about?

It's ironic that you intellectualise and thoroughly dissect concepts like basic human rights, yet you're fine with equally contentious and flimsy concepts like fairness. What is fairness in this context? If fairness for you is equality of outcome among the various demographics, then I'm quite sure this feels like a pointless tangent to you.

When I say fairness, I'm not saying that since there are no more Jim Crow laws and you're no longer slaves, it's now easy. Go and be successful. I'm saying you now have equality of opportunity and you are fir all intents and purposes the architect of your own destiny, that doesn't mean it's easy.

But people only improve their lot in any long-lasting way that can then be passed down culturally to their children by doing it themselves. The rate of literacy in the black American community post-emancipation is just proof of this.

Now, I agree, a level playing field is a fantasy perpetrated by whites. Whites like yourself to be specific.

There is no such thing, some players are taller, stronger, highly intelligent, brave, physically more attractive. This is why I prefer to promote hard work over artificially leveling the playing field to benefit one group. Equality under the law = equality of opportunity.

The way I define fairness in this context is opportunity, black people have more opportunity today than they ever had in America, yet and I repeat, the further you go back, the less opportunity there was, yet the culture was much better off in many ways.

That's not to say that I think black people should return to any era and start imitating oppression, but rather that this debate is going entirely in the wrong direction and should instead dissect the culture of today and yesterday.

Black men lost work, while black women were able to transition into the early-20thc workplace. For black men, this was an emasculation, and they took out their frustration on their wives/families - hence you have the beginning of the disintegration of the black family structure.

This seems like a stretch, you're saying an unknown increase in domestic violence marks the beginning of the disintegration of the black family structure? Not a combination of The Great Society's 'man in the house' policies and no-fault divorce laws?

Why didn't that same economic phenomenon also mark the disintegration of the white family structure?

Sure you do - ethical action doesn't need to appeal to the fantasy of individual rights.

And yes, rights are political constructs. They don't magically exist inside people, they emerge historically as a part of social bonding and participation. A human has no rights in the wilderness.
Again, you can't ask for proof - unless I can ask you to prove to me that rights exist.

Happy to take that task on. Nice attempt at delegitimatising my comment with the use of the word "magic" by the way. :D

If you truly stand by your view that fundamental human rights are not innate and a human has no rights in the wilderness, by what justification does a human retaliate against thievery?

You hunt, you catch a fish, I come to you and take it, by what reasoning do you justify attacking me and retrieving your catch? Nobody has constructed property rights for you or rights to food, so I guess you would just let me take what you worked hard to obtain?

How can it hurt to consider the impact of complex, deep-seated historical structures that are less than one hundred years old? It's irresponsible to think they no longer have any consequences.

I don't think anybody would say that history has no lasting impact on the present, it obviously does. The problem for your "side" is, beyond acknowledging this and marking it down, what is the point? Are you saying that, because America has a rather recent history of oppression, black people can never be held to a standard that everybody else is held to?

I mean really, what is the actual point? If I were a black American I would be rather insulted if someone excused me from having an I.D. because my country's history is shitty.

If black people never have to improve their position in life (for their own benefit mind you rather than to be an example of feel-good black progress that we can all clap for, nothing wrong with self-interest/greed) because there are people like yourself who are happy to hold them to a lower standard, nothing will ever get better.

Oh, it's racist to require an I.D. to vote because black people are still experiencing the negative effects of slavery and Jim Crow, lower the standard, that will help them in the long run. Honestly it's the same old racism of low expectations that I see here in Australia with us indigenous people.

You're obsessed with diagnosing a problem but when it comes to treating it, you have nothing.

Last edited:
I can't have an argument with someone whose grasp of literally everything involved with this argument is so poor that we may as well be speaking different languages for all the progress being made. You provide numbers that don't support your argument and think they do even after being shown how they dont. You can't stay on topic. Your grasp of logic and ethics is tenuous at best. You regularly display lolable statements/assertions (like that they tend to have 9-5 M-F jobs)about the poor that demonstrate you don't really know anything about being poor. Or a minority.

We aren't on equal footing here and you have shown no good faith attempts at presenting or defending a position. Good day.

So in short, you can't support your own argument with evidence (a universal standard of argumentation that you somehow think you should be exempt from), you ignore the majority of the evidence I provide, including the federal court findings (probably because it inevitably leads to a conclusion that you don't want to acknowledge) and then try and back out of the argument by spewing a bunch of empty ad hominem attacks. You can bullshit all you want, but you and I both know what you're doing. You have no intellectual integrity and will revert to personal attacks to avoid directly responding to my points and evidence.

So you're saying black immigrants and their children show a greater rate of success in America vs. native black people because Jim Crow laws existed 61 years ago and Jim Crow laws never existed in other countries where black people might immigrate from?

I actually think this is true in America.