The News Thread

Okay fuckface, I took more than 5 seconds and I still think your position is terrible.
Everybody can take a day off from work for something important like photo I.D. even though that's silly to begin with since it's mostly unemployed people that are talked about in your link.

If you want to debate with me, avoid the elementry school insults, (fuckface? Seriously?) otherwise I'll stop responding.

Everybody can take a day off work? That's news to me! My contract requires very specific reasons to take a day off and going to the DMV is not one of them and I have a solid middle class job.

People with lower paying jobs tend to have less entitlement and capital with their employers, so it's totally fathomable that people will be told they cannot take the day off to go get their ID. There's also the fact that if you're living paycheck to paycheck you can't afford to miss a day of work, even if your boss allows it.

Direct quote from the link you provided.

Unless I'm mistaken (very possibly I am) this says the I.D. is free.

Yes, this is a fair point. The problem is the required documentation to recieve the free (i.e. Birth cirtificate or passport) are as, if not more, expensive than the ID. So in theory it solves the problem, but not in practice.

These are all pretty weak excuses/reasons it's a racist policy.
Blacks and Hispanics can't take a day off work way in advance in order to make an appointment?

This point was addressed above. To reiterate, I'm sure some can, but A. some can't and B. some can't afford to.

All this said, if you are serious about having this discussion I would like to see your answer to the more fundamental question. If there is no evidence of voter impersonation (save statistically insignificant instances) but there is evidence that state issued I.D. requirements impede certain indiviudals from fulfilling thier right to vote, what is your justifcation for the law requirement in the first place. Remember, nobody is saying people shouldn't have any ID, they are saying alternatives like student IDs and social service cards (which by the way, are state issued) should be accepted.

If you want to debate with me, avoid the elementry school insults, (fuckface? Seriously?) otherwise I'll stop responding.

Go ahead, because as long as you're going to respond to me like this below, I'm not going to show you any respect at all:

Next time, take five seconds to think about what you say before posting.

^

Everybody can take a day off work? That's news to me! My contract requires very specific reasons to take a day off and going to the DMV is not one of them and I have a solid middle class job.
People with lower paying jobs tend to have less entitlement and capital with their employers, so it's totally fathomable that people will be told they cannot take the day off to go get their ID. There's also the fact that if you're living paycheck to paycheck you can't afford to miss a day of work, even if your boss allows it.

Weak argument. You can get a day off no matter how complicated and restrictive your employment contract is. It's besides the point anyway because the link you supplied to substantiate your claim that voter I.D. policy is racist makes the case that it's racist because it disproportionately affects poor people (and poor people are disproportionately non-white) that either don't have a car/live too far away from the offices giving out free I.D.'s.

By definition, if you live too far away with no decent public transport/don't own a car, you're highly unlikely to have a strict work contract to maneuver around. If there is no good public transport and you don't have a car, you probably don't have a job.

Yes, this is a fair point. The problem is the required documentation to recieve the free (i.e. Birth cirtificate or passport) are as, if not more, expensive than the ID. So in theory it solves the problem, but not in practice.

The documents you need to get welfare are roughly the same documents you would need to get a free I.D.
Are we talking about the unemployed homeless or something?

I actually think this is true in America.

I'd rather be a black native of America 141 years after slavery and 48 years after Jim Crow than be a black immigrant from South Africa only 22 years after apartheid ended.

Do you really think America is a worse place to be for a black person compared to most other non-western nations?

oh, you're comparing Africans to black Americans? I misread that then

actually not sure if I misread

Do I think recent African immigrants are doing better overall than long tenured blacks in America? Yes.

Last edited:
I would like to see your answer to the more fundamental question. If there is no evidence of voter impersonation (save statistically insignificant instances) but there is evidence that state issued I.D. requirements impede certain indiviudals from fulfilling thier right to vote, what is your justifcation for the law requirement in the first place.

It's a measure to combat voter fraud and without the measure you can't even begin to accurately deal with the problem. If you removed traffic light cameras, it would create the impression that running a red light isn't a problem, because without the cameras you have very little evidence of the offence.

It's basically the same in this case too. Little evidence of voter fraud isn't a sufficient argument against the policy.

That's the justification. The law, essentially.

That it negatively affects many poor people is merely something that policy makers should do their best to fix. Free I.D. is a pretty damn good step in that direction.

oh, you're comparing Africans to black Americans? I misread that then

Or the West Indies, for example. I'm pointing to the fact that black immigrants can come from hellholes and do better than native blacks because it's not about how oppressed they feel or how oppressed their ancestors were, but rather about culture.

So you're saying black immigrants and their children show a greater rate of success in America vs. native black people because Jim Crow laws existed 61 years ago and Jim Crow laws never existed in other countries where black people might immigrate from?

I'm saying it's a factor, yes.

Why is it due to social conditions and not say, coming from a single mother household? I agree that there is a higher rate of failure with the black person, no matter how equal the effort, because cultures are not equal.

a) why doesn't household structure count as a social condition?

b) why can't it be both?

'Black teen from fatherless home, welfare reliant family history and told by all those around him/her that they can't succeed because "the man" has the game rigged against them vs. white teen from a traditional family structure, taught how to earn and manage money before they've even entered into a career' is most definitely a very unequal comparison.

However, as you can obviously tell from what I'm saying, I view the issue very differently. I repeat; it's an issue of culture, not an issue of systemic racism and a history of slavery/Jim Crow.

Fine; but I don't think that's accurate, and I think that only reading Thomas Sowell won't do anything to help you see the matter differently.

That's not to say that those two historical facts don't play some role, but where you're much more comfortable in ghostbusting, I'm interested in what can be proven.

The idea that slavery and Jim Crow is responsible for black people being unable to retrieve a free I.D. because it's too far away/they don't own a car is quite laughable and since no substantive argument or evidence has been provided to that end, I laugh rather comfortably.

I think it's laughable that you see no connection between conditions in black communities today and post-slavery policies. Whose humor is more warranted???

Structural issues such as?

An example of a structural issue is the condition of blacks being unable to drive to get an I.D. But I don't expect you to believe in such phantasms...

It's ironic that you intellectualise and thoroughly dissect concepts like basic human rights, yet you're fine with equally contentious and flimsy concepts like fairness. What is fairness in this context? If fairness for you is equality of outcome among the various demographics, then I'm quite sure this feels like a pointless tangent to you.

When I say fairness, I'm not saying that since there are no more Jim Crow laws and you're no longer slaves, it's now easy. Go and be successful. I'm saying you now have equality of opportunity and you are fir all intents and purposes the architect of your own destiny, that doesn't mean it's easy.

I'm not arguing for fairness. To preempt something you say below, I don't have any solutions - but I never proposed to have any. All I'm saying is that it's clear to me that racism persists within the structural apparatuses and constructs of modern society. I don't see any way around it.

Now, I agree, a level playing field is a fantasy perpetrated by whites. Whites like yourself to be specific.

Well, no. See my above point.

There is no such thing, some players are taller, stronger, highly intelligent, brave, physically more attractive. This is why I prefer to promote hard work over artificially leveling the playing field to benefit one group. Equality under the law = equality of opportunity.

This isn't true though either, see - because some individuals require more opportunities than others. For instance, a white person may have the opportunity to vote, already own and car and live ten minutes away from a polling place.

A black person may also have the opportunity to vote, but their opportunity may also be contingent upon the opportunity to buy a car, and/or the opportunity to live within driving distance to a polling place without having to take off work.

I don't believe in fairness, nor do I delude myself into promoting it. But I also don't delude myself into "equality of opportunity" bullshit like this.

This seems like a stretch, you're saying an unknown increase in domestic violence marks the beginning of the disintegration of the black family structure? Not a combination of The Great Society's 'man in the house' policies and no-fault divorce laws?

Why didn't that same economic phenomenon also mark the disintegration of the white family structure?

It's not unknown, there have been papers written on it. You can go find them if you want. A famous one is bell hooks's "Plantation Patriarchy."

As far as it affecting white families - why would it if white males were continuing to be hired? That's part of the point.

Happy to take that task on. Nice attempt at delegitimatising my comment with the use of the word "magic" by the way. :D

If you truly stand by your view that fundamental human rights are not innate and a human has no rights in the wilderness, by what justification does a human retaliate against thievery?

You hunt, you catch a fish, I come to you and take it, by what reasoning do you justify attacking me and retrieving your catch? Nobody has constructed property rights for you or rights to food, so I guess you would just let me take what you worked hard to obtain?

The very idea that you need some kind of justification is where you go astray here. You don't need any justification. In our hypothetical situation, you take something of mine, I take it back because I'm a living organism and I want/need it. There's no value or meaning in that act, it's simply what organisms do. If we're talking about humans in the wilderness, we're basically talking about an animal - and animals have no right to a piece of meat because "I found it first!!!" There's no justification involved, and your projection of a justification is the result of your socialized subjectivity imposing a fantasy of fundamental rights onto a non-socialized entity.

That object that I have - fish, game, whatever - is not mine. This is a belief called possessive individualism, and it doesn't exist outside of our history/culture. I realize this is probably not going to sit well with you, but you're trying to justify behavior because you need to have some kind of meaning to human action, some basis for what we do. Our meaning, and our conception of ourselves as subjects, doesn't stem from some innate metaphysical core. It stems from our installation in a social system.

The reason why you can talk about things belonging to you is because our society grants us the right to property. You don't possess this right in the seat of your soul. A fox doesn't impinge on the wolf's rights when it steals the squirrel it killed.

As for the remainder...

You're obsessed with diagnosing a problem but when it comes to treating it, you have nothing.

Nope, I don't. Doesn't mean I'm wrong though...

So in short, you can't support your own argument with evidence (a universal standard of argumentation that you somehow think you should be exempt from), you ignore the majority of the evidence I provide, including the federal court findings (probably because it inevitably leads to a conclusion that you don't want to acknowledge) and then try and back out of the argument by spewing a bunch of empty ad hominem attacks. You can bullshit all you want, but you and I both know what you're doing. You have no intellectual integrity and will revert to personal attacks to avoid directly responding to my points and evidence.

I didn't ignore any evidence. I shot yours down quite thoroughly as not evidence for your position at all and you have been unable to deal with it.

@Einherjar86 I don't want to jump into the exchange with CIG partially because it isn't my conversation, but also partially because we've been around on it before. It's not really debatable that there is in fact some degree of effect on blacks in America today because of policies and cultural attitudes of the past. What is debatable is the degree of effect from which policies, cultures/attitudes, etc - as well as how that should inform current policies and expectations. The damaging, discriminatory nature of low expectations, regardless of whether based on racism, sexism, or some other -ism, is a serious problem in helping someone overcome any sort of adverse environment, history, etc.

Last edited:
Yes, we have been around this before, and I like to think nuances emerged on both sides of the discussion, even if no one changed their minds. ;)

I understand what you call the "damaging nature of low expectations," and I like to think that I don't expect blacks to continue to commit crimes or earn less on average than whites. I'm not at all surprised that there are successful African Americans in politics, education, music, sports, etc. because I believe perfectly well that they can achieve such positions.

But I also get very defensive when people claim that culture and history has even a minimal impact on behavior in black communities today, and this is probably where we'll disagree. I think that a lot of the difficulties suffered in black communities has to do with social conditions inherited from slavery as much as it has to do with current cultural trends. For me, these two things are inextricable. We can't justify simply handing things over to people not willing to work (i.e. your "gimmedats"), or absolving criminals of responsibility; people do need to be held accountable. But I don't think that means that those of us on the other side of things (for lack of a better phrase) have no responsibility whatsoever. I like to think that there's a plausible social response we can administer when it comes to black communities. I just don't know what it is. :D

Reactions: Dak
I don't get why you think culture isn't effected by the social and political environment?

I didn't say anything of the sort. Culture is in part the political and social environment, merely distilled to a certain demographic. However, if you're going to suggest that 'thug' culture and single mother homes are products of a history of slavery, you're going to have to prove it.

I'm saying it's a factor, yes.

Fair enough. But you don't know to what degree it comes into play? Is it worse than immigrating from a hellhole?

a) why doesn't household structure count as a social condition?
b) why can't it be both?

Because your household is overwhelmingly self-imposed and imposed on you by your family, not the outside world. Unless we're defining social conditions in a way I'm not familiar with. I could see why you might think it's a social condition though, because you believe racism is responsible to some degree for the destruction of the black family.

I disagree with that.

Sure it can be both though, except one (my point) can be proven or measured in it's effects and the other (yours) cannot be.

Fine; but I don't think that's accurate, and I think that only reading Thomas Sowell won't do anything to help you see the matter differently.

I'll be sure to read some Bell Hooks and James Baldwin so I can think correctly. :thumbsup:

I think it's laughable that you see no connection between conditions in black communities today and post-slavery policies. Whose humor is more warranted???

I never said there was no connection, I said that the statistics that measure black success in America since emancipation don't support your view that the failure of black Americans today is due to slavery and Jim Crow. If that's the main reason for the failure seen today, how do you explain the fluctuating rates of success as you move backwards in time?

An example of a structural issue is the condition of blacks being unable to drive to get an I.D. But I don't expect you to believe in such phantasms...

How is that a structural issue? Is there a law prohibiting blacks from getting a driving license?

This isn't true though either, see - because some individuals require more opportunities than others. For instance, a white person may have the opportunity to vote, already own and car and live ten minutes away from a polling place.

A black person may also have the opportunity to vote, but their opportunity may also be contingent upon the opportunity to buy a car, and/or the opportunity to live within driving distance to a polling place without having to take off work.

I don't believe in fairness, nor do I delude myself into promoting it. But I also don't delude myself into "equality of opportunity" bullshit like this.

So you're suggesting that black people don't have the same basic opportunity to buy a car? What a ridiculous view, is there a government policy forcing two young black people to have sex, conceive while still living with their respective mothers, the father to leave and the mother to then raise that child in the kind of environment that makes it hard to buy a car when that child grows up?

It's not unknown, there have been papers written on it. You can go find them if you want. A famous one is bell hooks's "Plantation Patriarchy."

As far as it affecting white families - why would it if white males were continuing to be hired? That's part of the point.

Actually plenty of white males lost work when women entered the workforce for the first time in any mass. Are you saying that black families were more prone to domestic violence back then?

Also, I mentioned Bell Hooks up there just for fun without knowing you'd eventually bring her up. It's been awhile since I read We Real Cool, maybe I'll get back to you on that one.

The very idea that you need some kind of justification is where you go astray here. You don't need any justification. In our hypothetical situation, you take something of mine, I take it back because I'm a living organism and I want/need it. There's no value or meaning in that act, it's simply what organisms do. If we're talking about humans in the wilderness, we're basically talking about an animal - and animals have no right to a piece of meat because "I found it first!!!" There's no justification involved, and your projection of a justification is the result of your socialized subjectivity imposing a fantasy of fundamental rights onto a non-socialized entity.

That object that I have - fish, game, whatever - is not mine. This is a belief called possessive individualism, and it doesn't exist outside of our history/culture. I realize this is probably not going to sit well with you, but you're trying to justify behavior because you need to have some kind of meaning to human action, some basis for what we do. Our meaning, and our conception of ourselves as subjects, doesn't stem from some innate metaphysical core. It stems from our installation in a social system.

The reason why you can talk about things belonging to you is because our society grants us the right to property. You don't possess this right in the seat of your soul. A fox doesn't impinge on the wolf's rights when it steals the squirrel it killed.

The concept of innate rights requires human consciousness to exist as a concept in my view and I don't think human consciousness exists or doesn't exist based on whether we live in a social system.

This is somewhat unrelated and the answer may annihilate my own point, but how does someone have an internal conversation if they don't know a language? (ie, baby left in the wild before learning a language.)

Nope, I don't. Doesn't mean I'm wrong though...

Or right.

But I also get very defensive when people claim that culture and history has even a minimal impact on behavior in black communities today, and this is probably where we'll disagree.

Definitely so, but I don't think history has no impact on today (welfare is history) and I also think culture is the main problem. Just not the culture you think is the problem.

I didn't say anything of the sort. Culture is in part the political and social environment, merely distilled to a certain demographic. However, if you're going to suggest that 'thug' culture and single mother homes are products of a history of slavery, you're going to have to prove it.

honestly the theory isn't even that hard to 'prove' (which i'll agree with Ein here, can't really prove it)

after slavery blacks weren't 'skilled' workers + discriminated against which led to entry level + military labor force (which saw GI bill benefits but were discriminated against by realtors when the suburb movement occurred for whitey). Drug trade increasingly grew in urban communities which the prevalence of cocaine took over inner cities and saw opportunities for wealth outside of the 'conventional' system (thug)

Single mother is simply a prison policy that was enforced and expanded in the 90s (maybe 80s too under Bush senior, I forget) which saw minimum offenses for crack possesion as insanely high compared to other drugs (crack is notoriously an NE inner city drug of choice until the heroin epidemic of today) + non registered firearms as well as marijuana which led a lot of black males being imprisoned for extended periods of time -- thus 'thug father' and 'single mother' problems.

But reading your posts seems to throw all this away quite honestly

No, I don't have to prove it. You can't prove your position, so stop asking me to prove mine.

Fair enough. But you don't know to what degree it comes into play? Is it worse than immigrating from a hellhole?

Of the blacks that emigrate to America, even those from "hellholes," there are still some that actually live relatively affluent lives. They come to America to escape the threats posed to their affluence by the country they live in. In other words, the immigrants who come here and are successful are probably already hard-working and successful in their original country.

Because your household is overwhelmingly self-imposed and imposed on you by your family, not the outside world.

What kind of view is this? That a household is organized primarily according to the whims of its members, and not by the social forces and pressures exerted upon it? No, not true at all. Culture affects us from the outside in, not the other way around.

I'll be sure to read some Bell Hooks and James Baldwin so I can think correctly. :thumbsup:

Also, I mentioned Bell Hooks up there just for fun without knowing you'd eventually bring her up. It's been awhile since I read We Real Cool, maybe I'll get back to you on that one.

Stay cool... :cool:

I never said there was no connection, I said that the statistics that measure black success in America since emancipation don't support your view that the failure of black Americans today is due to slavery and Jim Crow. If that's the main reason for the failure seen today, how do you explain the fluctuating rates of success as you move backwards in time?

I don't understand how statistics aren't on my side. I guess I'd have to ask what statistics you'd like to see. As far as I'm concerned, the majority of blacks in this country can trace their lineage back through ancestors who suffered immensely under Jim Crow. Those statistics are enough for me to make my argument.

EDIT: actually, @rms just laid out some straightforward details above.

How is that a structural issue? Is there a law prohibiting blacks from getting a driving license?

There is if they need to drive to the DMV in order to get the driver's license... :yow:

So you're suggesting that black people don't have the same basic opportunity to buy a car? What a ridiculous view, is there a government policy forcing two young black people to have sex, conceive while still living with their respective mothers, the father to leave and the mother to then raise that child in the kind of environment that makes it hard to buy a car when that child grows up?

Yes, I'm suggesting that the opportunity isn't equal. I'm not saying that the responsibility can't be distributed, but I'm not saying that we can lay the blame entirely on fornicating black people.

There are lots of working black mothers who have to care for children they probably wish they'd waited to have; but they didn't, and they're trying their best (in many cases) to care for them. In many of these cases, the opportunities for them in buying a car are very different than those of white families, and even single white mothers. John Oliver just did an episode on this, actually.

Actually plenty of white males lost work when women entered the workforce for the first time in any mass. Are you saying that black families were more prone to domestic violence back then?

Sure, white men did lose jobs as women moved into the workplace; and those white men proceeded to take the lower paying jobs, which employers were okay with because they didn't want to hire blacks.

This forced blacks out of work and, yes, contributed to the disintegration of the black family structure. It also contributed to black males joining neighborhood gangs - as a way to secure some kind of income, and to feel more masculine.

The concept of innate rights requires human consciousness to exist as a concept in my view and I don't think human consciousness exists or doesn't exist based on whether we live in a social system.

This is somewhat unrelated and the answer may annihilate my own point, but how does someone have an internal conversation if they don't know a language? (ie, baby left in the wild before learning a language.)

Consciousness is a material phenomenon, that's all - it isn't any metaphysical essence or substance. It's an effect of human brain processes. Consciousness projects innate rights onto the human subject in retrospect; it doesn't guarantee rights in and of itself.

I'm not sure why you're asking about language and internal conversations; but there is no such thing as a private language (Wittgenstein debunked this argument over fifty years ago), and without language a subject cannot have a purely "internal" conversation with itself. Language is very closely related to the evolution of the human brain, and the two go hand in hand: language implies the possibility of translation, meaning that any and every language - and any and every conversation - necessitates the possibility of being interpreted by a second party. Language is an evolutionarily social phenomenon, not a subjectively private one.

This doesn't mean that organisms don't have brain functions and processes, but it does mean that most animals don't have the capacity for self-reflection, and pre-social human ancestors also lacked this capacity. Human beings do, but self-reflection does not guarantee rights, and it most definitely doesn't "prove" that rights exist. All it does is lay the groundwork for human subjects to be able to retrospectively claim that rights exist prior to socialization.

Consciousness, language, socialization... there is no way to effectively separate these things out from one another. The earliest known cave paintings appeared roughly around the same time that the Neanderthal line went extinct and modern humans emerged on the scene. It's highly likely that the biological conditions necessary for consciousness were accompanied nearly instantaneously by the capacity for representational language structures. The human concept of "rights" is very much an effect of humans settling into social groups, although the first writings on ethics and rights did not appear until much later (Hammurabi's Code being a famous early example, which didn't appear until roughly 1780 BCE).

To take this a step further, there is significant evidence to suggest that the modern notion of freedom, which the authors of the Declaration of Independence relied upon, emerged within a very specific historical context: the ancient Roman concept of "freedman," i.e. a freed slave. In other words, our modern notion of freedom derives directly from ancient iteration of slavery itself, not from some metaphysical notion of pure human freedom.

No, I don't have to prove it. You can't prove your position, so stop asking me to prove mine.

That comment wasn't a reply to you, it was to @rms, but yes I can prove what I'm saying.

Of the blacks that emigrate to America, even those from "hellholes," there are still some that actually live relatively affluent lives. They come to America to escape the threats posed to their affluence by the country they live in. In other words, the immigrants who come here and are successful are probably already hard-working and successful in their original country.

My point. It's cultural. Black American culture right now doesn't value those things, it values other things which act as barriers to success.

What kind of view is this? That a household is organized primarily according to the whims of its members, and not by the social forces and pressures exerted upon it? No, not true at all. Culture affects us from the outside in, not the other way around.

It is true. You choose to raise your children with certain values and ethics, society outside of the home may try to impose their values and ethics, but in the end you run the home.

You said social conditions, not cultural. I am arguing that black culture is working against black success more than the greater culture at large, which you say is racist, is.

I don't understand how statistics aren't on my side. I guess I'd have to ask what statistics you'd like to see. As far as I'm concerned, the majority of blacks in this country can trace their lineage back through ancestors who suffered immensely under Jim Crow. Those statistics are enough for me to make my argument.

How does the tracing of ancestry prove anything statistically? I can similarly trace my own ancestry back to indigenous people not allowed within town limits and not allowed to speak their language by threat of force, yet I have an I.D. and a car today.

There is if they need to drive to the DMV in order to get the driver's license... :yow:

busbicycle_1500.jpg

Hurrah modernity. Things called buses and trains exist, pretty cool right?

Yes, I'm suggesting that the opportunity isn't equal. I'm not saying that the responsibility can't be distributed, but I'm not saying that we can lay the blame entirely on fornicating black people.

Because why should adults take responsibility for their actions. Raising children that don't then go ahead and have children themselves is the job of a parent, it's a hard job especially if you exist within a culture of teen parenthood outside of marriage, but lowering the standard won't help them move out of that culture.

There are lots of working black mothers who have to care for children they probably wish they'd waited to have; but they didn't, and they're trying their best (in many cases) to care for them. In many of these cases, the opportunities for them in buying a car are very different than those of white families, and even single white mothers. John Oliver just did an episode on this, actually.

And that sucks for them, but they're adults and they did it to themselves. I'm not familiar with John Oliver btw.

Sure, white men did lose jobs as women moved into the workplace; and those white men proceeded to take the lower paying jobs, which employers were okay with because they didn't want to hire blacks.

Blacks were willing to work for lower wages than whites, it actually wasn't until minimum wage laws and unionisation that employers seemed to start hiring whites over blacks due to discrimination. But I guess that's just another Sowellism.

Consciousness is a material phenomenon, that's all - it isn't any metaphysical essence or substance. It's an effect of human brain processes. Consciousness projects innate rights onto the human subject in retrospect; it doesn't guarantee rights in and of itself.

I'm not sure why you're asking about language and internal conversations; but there is no such thing as a private language (Wittgenstein debunked this argument over fifty years ago), and without language a subject cannot have a purely "internal" conversation with itself. Language is very closely related to the evolution of the human brain, and the two go hand in hand: language implies the possibility of translation, meaning that any and every language - and any and every conversation - necessitates the possibility of being interpreted by a second party. Language is an evolutionarily social phenomenon, not a subjectively private one.

This doesn't mean that organisms don't have brain functions and processes, but it does mean that most animals don't have the capacity for self-reflection, and pre-social human ancestors also lacked this capacity. Human beings do, but self-reflection does not guarantee rights, and it most definitely doesn't "prove" that rights exist. All it does is lay the groundwork for human subjects to be able to retrospectively claim that rights exist prior to socialization.

Consciousness, language, socialization... there is no way to effectively separate these things out from one another. The earliest known cave paintings appeared roughly around the same time that the Neanderthal line went extinct and modern humans emerged on the scene. It's highly likely that the biological conditions necessary for consciousness were accompanied nearly instantaneously by the capacity for representational language structures. The human concept of "rights" is very much an effect of humans settling into social groups, although the first writings on ethics and rights did not appear until much later (Hammurabi's Code being a famous early example, which didn't appear until roughly 1780 BCE).

To take this a step further, there is significant evidence to suggest that the modern notion of freedom, which the authors of the Declaration of Independence relied upon, emerged within a very specific historical context: the ancient Roman concept of "freedman," i.e. a freed slave. In other words, our modern notion of freedom derives directly from ancient iteration of slavery itself, not from some metaphysical notion of pure human freedom.

Well, my notion of freedom derives from growing up in rural and bush communities, so maybe I'm an outlier.

I disagree with you on this and no amount of intellectualising and absolutist statements will convince me otherwise, but it's hugely interesting to me. I assume you also have an issue with the concept of morality?

That comment wasn't a reply to you, it was to @rms, but yes I can prove what I'm saying.

No, you can't. If you think you can, then you have a skewed understanding of what "proof" means.

My point. It's cultural. Black American culture right now doesn't value those things, it values other things which act as barriers to success.

Not your point. I'm saying there are structural/material reasons why blacks from other countries do well when they come here.

You have to realize that I'm not accusing whites of having any conscious racist aversion to black people. I'm saying there are blacks in this country whose lifestyle is largely a result of historical conditions. Blacks who emigrate from elsewhere aren't necessarily susceptible to these conditions.

It is true. You choose to raise your children with certain values and ethics, society outside of the home may try to impose their values and ethics, but in the end you run the home.

How parents run their home is contingent upon the society in which they live, though...

You seem to consider people to be mostly rational and somehow socially independent creatures. That's not how people work.

You said social conditions, not cultural. I am arguing that black culture is working against black success more than the greater culture at large, which you say is racist, is.

Black culture is socially conditioned; you can't dissociate these things from one another. Tell me how black culture and nuclear families operate in a hermetically sealed environment, and I'll show you Santa Claus. As a matter of fact... I'll show you a right. ;)

How does the tracing of ancestry prove anything statistically? I can similarly trace my own ancestry back to indigenous people not allowed within town limits and not allowed to speak their language by threat of force, yet I have an I.D. and a car today.

Look, I could claim "exception," I could claim "anecdotal evidence." It doesn't make any difference.

busbicycle_1500.jpg

Hurrah modernity. Things called buses and trains exist, pretty cool right?

And these go everywhere? They run on time, regularly, and serve all neighborhoods equally?

Lots of hardworking black people get to work despite public transportation not even visiting their neighborhoods. They walk for hours to get to work, or they take buses, trains, more buses, for 1.5-2 hours commutes. I'd say those people work their fucking asses off, and have far less of an opportunity to purchase a car, despite the fact that they could seriously use one.

Because why should adults take responsibility for their actions. Raising children that don't then go ahead and have children themselves is the job of a parent, it's a hard job especially if you exist within a culture of teen parenthood outside of marriage, but lowering the standard won't help them move out of that culture.

Look, this is really why there's nothing more to be said here. Because you have a deeply ideological notion of individual responsibility - because it worked for you, and you had to suffer your own woes so why the fuck shouldn't other people? And I'm not saying that we should let other people off the hook! That's not my argument. But you seem to have an aversion to the thought that maybe there's some kind of viable course of action whereby some social responsibility is shared.

So, that's fine. But I think I'm done arguing about this.

And that sucks for them, but they're adults and they did it to themselves. I'm not familiar with John Oliver btw.

I'm sorry, but I get annoyed when people reduce their entire philosophical view of the universe down basically to a hermeneutics of subjectivity - i.e. a solipsistic view in which individual experience dictates how everyone else should also live. You universalize your own ideals and project them onto other people. I can't wrap my brain around it. But then, you probably can't wrap your brain around the things I say. Either way, it probably isn't worth debating much more.

Blacks were willing to work for lower wages than whites, it actually wasn't until minimum wage laws and unionisation that employers seemed to start hiring whites over blacks due to discrimination. But I guess that's just another Sowellism.

No, many of them preferred to hire whites long before this. Unless the black people were slaves. Then white "employers" were perfectly fine letting 'em work the fields.

Well, my notion of freedom derives from growing up in rural and bush communities, so maybe I'm an outlier.

I disagree with you on this and no amount of intellectualising and absolutist statements will convince me otherwise, but it's hugely interesting to me. I assume you also have an issue with the concept of morality?

Well, I'm glad it's interesting. It is surprising to me though that you're skeptical of absolutist statements, since your notion of individual rights is the very definition of absolutist...

I'm skeptical enough of ethics as they're frequently practiced. Morality scares the living hell out of me.

Reactions: CiG
I had some thoughts on many of your responses but seeing as though this has probably reached it's end, I'll save them. I do find a lot of personal value in your responses though, mostly for my own development on the subject, so it was worth it.

And since it seems like @Dak and @crimsonfloyd have also reached an impasse, allow me to change the subject.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/21/politics/kellyanne-conway-donald-trump-deportation-force-tbd/

Donald Trump is walking back his immigration policy, the very issue he even gained support on to begin with.

He even basically thumbs'd-up Obama's immigration record and said he would basically just want to continue to do what Obama has been doing.

This is pretty hilarious stuff, especially considering Obama's deportation rates have been lower than Bush's.

Reactions: Einherjar86
Trump going soft is still better than Hillary actively welcoming them. He's trying to win some moderate voters. Deportations and strengthened border control and tougher vetting will still occur under Trump, just not on the massive scale his supporters hope for.

http://www.npr.org/2016/08/26/49153...freshmen-it-does-not-support-trigger-warnings

A letter sent by the school this week tells incoming freshmen the university does not support so-called trigger warnings as part of its commitment to freedom of expression. NPR's David Schaper reports some students are taken aback by the approach while others say that's exactly what they want at the university.

Students are encouraged to speak, write, listen, challenge and learn without fear of censorship. And that means the school, quote, "does not support so-called trigger warnings" to alert students to upcoming discussions or speakers that they might find offensive.

The University of Chicago won't cancel controversial speakers, and it, quote, "does not condone the creation of intellectual safe spaces where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own."

Reactions: Baroque and Dak