The News Thread

the dude literally argues that because they had to migrate so much further than they were used to that they developed stronger hind legs to which we would recognize in modern day humansssssssssssssssss

come on mannnnnnnnn

The findings illustrated in this article suggest that climate change forced pre-hominid apes into Europe. Apes that evolved stronger hind limbs would find favor in such conditions, since those limbs would allow them to survive the journey. Meanwhile, apes that didn't evolve stronger hind limbs wouldn't survive the journey--they would die out, or find some other means of survival prior to reaching Europe. The apes with strong hind limbs successfully made it to Europe, where they then evolved into the "missing link" between apes and humans, which obviously included the stronger hind limb that we find in hominids.

None of this contradicts anything I've said, nor does it suggest that environment infiltrates the genome.

The findings illustrated in this article suggest that climate change forced pre-hominid apes into Europe. Apes that evolved stronger hind limbs would find favor in such conditions, since those limbs would allow them to survive the journey. Meanwhile, apes that didn't evolve stronger hind limbs wouldn't survive the journey--they would die out, or find some other means of survival prior to reaching Europe. The apes with strong hind limbs successfully made it to Europe, where they then evolved into the "missing link" between apes and humans, which obviously included the stronger hind limb that we find in hominids.

None of this contradicts anything I've said, nor does it suggest that environment infiltrates the genome.

Because you're ignoring the theory, that is argued by one of these dudes, that using hind legs more then help mutations for later generations.

you're just going to act like the apes day -1 of global warming and apes day +100000 had the same ability to walk on their back legs?

The same? No, not at all.

You believe that climate change caused apes to develop stronger hind limbs; but that's not how evolutionary theory works, nor does anything here suggest that. All it suggests is that apes who had already evolved stronger hind limbs through mutation (completely by accident) survived the migration and proceeded to pass on that gene, allowing it to become more widespread. Environmental change funneled out one genetic adaptation and replaced it with another. Environmental change didn't cause the genetic change, and the article isn't suggesting that.

Last edited:
You believe that climate change caused apes to develop stronger hind limbs; but that's not how evolutionary theory works, nor does anything here suggest that.

??

At that time climate change had turned Eastern Europe into an open savannah which forced apes to find new food sources, sparking a shift towards bipedalism, the researchers believe.

The team believe that evolution of hominids may have been driven by dramatic environmental changes which sparked the formation of the North African Sahara more than seven million years ago and pushed species further North.

As far as I can tell, you're reading "sparking a shift toward bipedalism" as meaning that the environment itself encouraged the mutation of stronger hind limbs themselves. This would be a causal relation, meaning that environment played some role in the manifestation of the mutation itself.

This is not what "sparking a shift toward bipedalism" means, though. What it means is that, as far as evolution is concerned, stronger hind limbs had likely already evolved in some apes, albeit in very small numbers because they had no need for strong hind limbs. Therefore the vast majority of apes, whose hind legs were weaker, could still survive and reproduce, passing on their genes to subsequent generations.

Now, when the climate began to change it forced the apes to migrate. The ones with weaker hind legs couldn't make the journey and so didn't survive, therefore failing to pass on their genes. The ones who had already developed stronger hind limbs survived, however, and passed on this gene to later generations, meaning that the apes that made it to Europe exhibited this genetic trait, which then passed on to the "missing link" species between apes and hominids.

You believe that environment actually caused the mutation itself, but this isn't how evolution says mutation works. According to evolutionary theory, the mutation was already present, just in very few apes. All the environmental change did was allow that mutation to continue because it enabled those apes to survive the migration.

You believe that environment actually caused the mutation itself,

god damnit. no! how many times do I have to say repeat myself? It's a two way process, unlike yours where only internal mutations occur and effect the environment but the environment has no effect on the individual.

apes that were able to use their hind legs whenever migration started were obviously better off than those who were not, but because they HAD to migrate to survive the environment then infiltrated these apes by requiring them to have stronger hind legs. The stronger hind legs that would manifest and 'improve' or 'strengthen' throughout X amount of time was directly because the environment forced them to migrate (to survive).

All the environmental change did was allow that mutation to continue because it enabled those apes to survive the migration.

and make that mutation stronger and more prevalent which would then channel later mutations that would be likely as the hominids we see today. but whatever, let's just be short sighted for some strange reason

apes that were able to use their hind legs whenever migration started were obviously better off than those who were not, but because they HAD to migrate to survive the environment then infiltrated these apes by requiring them to have stronger hind legs.

The environment only required that apes use their hind legs. This might increase muscle mass and even affect the expression of a gene, but it has no impact on the genome itself, causing the actual mutation to become stronger, or some such. Somatic mutations (mutations that occur during an organism's lifetime), that might possibly result in increased strength, aren't inheritable--and so can't be passed down.

The only way that environment leads to an increase in this mutation is by filtering out the apes who lacked this mutation. The ones who possessed it were able to survive and reproduce, resulting in the perpetuation of the gene(s) for stronger hind limbs.

I'm really not being shortsighted. This is simply all that evolution allows for, empirically speaking. We cannot scientifically observe the kind of environmental impact that I think you're suggesting, which is that environment actually causes the strengthening of genes through increased use (like exercise). Traditional evolutionary theory provides no justification for this. Your genes can't work out to get stronger.

I'm inclined to believe that you're not going to be convinced by any of this, but if there are particulars that you really want to revisit then I'm happy to. But I feel like you should run this past someone whose opinion you actually trust and respect. I also feel it necessary to point out that what I'm saying above is basically (as far as I can tell) what Eternal Metal was trying to convey to you in our other discussion.

what makes you think that physical elements are not in the genetic code? it's obvious in humans, and intelligence, so why not apes?

I'm inclined to believe that you're not going to be convinced by any of this,

We cannot scientifically observe the kind of environmental impact that I think you're suggesting, which is that environment actually causes the strengthening of genes through increased use (like exercise).

when your argument is based around observation and limitations of our current understanding, then how the hell is that persuasive? you just admitted to some level of infiltration so apparently you are on my part which then defeats your entire premise from previous discussions, that the environment has no impact on the individual genome.

i'm not even sure you believe your perspective, you're just scared of making any logical connection to other things we know about biology. Your belief in evolutionary history would be the only thing on Earth that does not have a reciprocal effect, which i'm not sure you properly understand and demonstrate how much of a big deal that is.

it's not really me being convinced, it's your lack of admitting new details to challenge your world view. it just seems like you're not interested and being obtuse generally.

what makes you think that physical elements are not in the genetic code? it's obvious in humans, and intelligence, so why not apes?

I don't understand. Physiology is dictated by the genetic code--I never suggested it wasn't. Genes dictate our anatomy, which we can then shape through exercise; but our efforts at physical activity don't cycle back onto our genes and enhance them. You can exercise your muscles and general bodily physique, but this doesn't change the underlying genetic makeup.

when your argument is based around observation and limitations of our current understanding, then how the hell is that persuasive?

Observation isn't persuasive? What is science if not observation?

you just admitted to some level of infiltration so apparently you are on my part which then defeats your entire premise from previous discussions, that the environment has no impact on the individual genome.

I've never said that environment plays no role, and I've been very clear about how I think it impacts evolution.

i'm not even sure you believe your perspective, you're just scared of making any logical connection to other things we know about biology. Your belief in evolutionary history would be the only thing on Earth that does not have a reciprocal effect, which i'm not sure you properly understand and demonstrate how much of a big deal that is.

I do believe it, and I understand it. It's too bad you have to resort to some kind of poor man's psychoanalysis in order to argue your point.

it's not really me being convinced, it's your lack of admitting new details to challenge your world view. it just seems like you're not interested and being obtuse generally.

The details in that article suggest that the evolutionary history of humanity might be different than previously believed. None of its details suggest a revision of evolutionary theory, which is all I'm trying to explain to you.

If I understand more recent genetic research accurately, environmental pressures/exposure can affect the phenotypic expression of genes. Our genetic code contains volumes of data which are not expressed phenotypically. The transcription process is also ongoing as cells are replaced throughout the lifespan, and what is phenotypically expressed and what is not can fluctuate in some instances depending on various environmental pressures. In addition to this, environmental pressures may cause and subsequently select for certain mutations (or cause and not select for them, or not have caused a mutation that is or is not selected for). Over generations, this interplay may lead to significant divergence in both genotype and phenotype.

If I understand more recent genetic research accurately, environmental pressures/exposure can affect the phenotypic expression of genes. Our genetic code contains volumes of data which are not expressed phenotypically. The transcription process is also ongoing as cells are replaced throughout the lifespan, and what is phenotypically expressed and what is not can fluctuate in some instances depending on various environmental pressures. In addition to this, environmental pressures may cause and subsequently select for certain mutations (or cause and not select for them, or not have caused a mutation that is or is not selected for). Over generations, this interplay may lead to significant divergence in both genotype and phenotype.

Recent genetic research is unsubstantiated and controversial, which is why Eternal Metal mentioned earlier that he avoided it. I have no speculative issue with phenotype or allele expression being potentially influential in the course of evolution; but I do have a problem with the blanket notion that exercise can make mutations stronger, or cause the environment to somehow select for that specific mutation. The environment can have an impact on gene expression, but this doesn't interfere with and alter the genomic structure. As far as epigenetics goes, most of what I've read on it is cautionary.

If, hypothetically speaking, we were to be suddenly forced to live in near-darkness, our eyes might adjust to the loss of light; but there's no evidence to suggest that doing so would somehow select for a mutation that enhances our eyesight. There is the chance that certain genetic mutations, having already taken place, could be affected by the loss of light and may express as enhanced eyesight; but this doesn't mean the environmental change is an impetus for mutation itself. Furthermore, plenty of species have gone extinct because they failed to achieve any significant mutation that allowed them to survive in changed conditions.

Finally, the article in question (the Telegraph piece) says nothing of phenotypes, alleles, or epigenetics. My argument, since the very beginning, has only been that the variance among species can be entirely explained by the interplay between accidental mutation and subsequent environmental pressure. And it can--that's the entire basis of evolutionary theory.

Last edited:
Observation isn't persuasive? What is science if not observation?

bleh. your position isn't that "I see X so X is tr ue" -- it's "I don't see Y so I won't believe Y until I can be shown Y" -- which is just kind of boring.

Theory is essential to furthering scientific understanding. So, if I think the environment forces species to immediately adapt to which that immediate adaptation infiltrates and manipulates said species at a fundamental level, I obviously can't see that today. But, it's going to drive my research until I am proven/disproven.

I've never said that environment plays no role, and I've been very clear about how I think it impacts evolution.

I don't think evolution is the right word from your perspective. You suggest that the environment only selects what lives and dies, not how the environment dictates what evolves and how it evolves. While living and dying is essential part of evolution for the long term for a specific species, IE from these apes to humans, it doesn't account for the failure and successful mutations of said species.

None of its details suggest a revision of evolutionary theory, which is all I'm trying to explain to you.

to my position, it wouldn't be revionist. what i quoted seems to be in line with my understanding environmental effects on the individual fundamental level

bleh. your position isn't that "I see X so X is tr ue" -- it's "I don't see Y so I won't believe Y until I can be shown Y" -- which is just kind of boring.

Theory is essential to furthering scientific understanding. So, if I think the environment forces species to immediately adapt to which that immediate adaptation infiltrates and manipulates said species at a fundamental level, I obviously can't see that today. But, it's going to drive my research until I am proven/disproven.

I have no problem with speculation (in fact, it's why I love science fiction), and in the spirit of congeniality I say go forth and do research. But I do have a concern with how you're approaching the situation.

As you say, my position is "I don't see Y and so I won't believe Y until I can be shown Y." And you're correct, that's my position.

You say that your belief is going to drive your research until you're proven or disproven. But here's the problem: if I'm right, and Y doesn't exist, then that means you'll spend your entire life searching for something that's not there.

We get here into the finicky philosophical quagmire of (dis)proving negatives. The problem, as I see it, is that there's no way for me to disprove your theory from the basis of mine. Our two theories could be compatible; I just don't see any evidence for yours, and so I'm skeptical. If it doesn't exist, then there's no way for me to disprove it. But the inability to disprove something doesn't thereby prove it.

So, in this regard, the burden isn't on me to prove or disprove anything. It's on you.

But here's the problem: if I'm right, and Y doesn't exist, then that means you'll spend your entire life searching for something that's not there.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

scared of research because you might waste time seems like the most arbitrary and useless complaint...ever. I can't imagine the success to failure rate is anything but heavily lopsided in failure's favor

So, in this regard, the burden isn't on me to prove or disprove anything. It's on you.

but you ignored a crucial paragraph in the last reply that helps narrow your view. this issue isn't so one sided that persuasion is obvious anyways

but our efforts at physical activity don't cycle back onto our genes and enhance them. You can exercise your muscles and general bodily physique, but this doesn't change the underlying genetic makeup.

by arguing this, you're saying at day0 of whatever the first species was with what we would refer to as muscles, one would think that a creature that was sedentary and one that was constantly in motion, climbing etc would have the same mutations occur in relation to how that species breaks down food and processes it as proteins and other strength building blocks.

you'll just reply and say that one day one creature of a species randomly mutated an enzyme that broke down protein better than all the others beforehand but that mutated enzyme was not at all influenced by what the creature did or ate. so what really is the point? you aren't entertaining the idea that you are wrong and how you would challenge it. you're going to say there's no evidence for past and extinct creatures while likely also suggesting that humans are on too micro and close scale to use at all in comparison for past species.

scared of research because you might waste time seems like the most arbitrary and useless complaint...ever. I can't imagine the success to failure rate is anything but heavily lopsided in failure's favor

I'm not scared of research, but research costs money. If you can keep securing funding in order to keep producing negative results, then more power to you. Or maybe you'll produce positive results! That's great too. But for now, you haven't done any research, and you haven't produced any positive results.

but you ignored a crucial paragraph in the last reply that helps narrow your view. this issue isn't so one sided that persuasion is obvious anyways

Not sure which replies you mean, so I'll tackle both:

I don't think evolution is the right word from your perspective. You suggest that the environment only selects what lives and dies, not how the environment dictates what evolves and how it evolves. While living and dying is essential part of evolution for the long term for a specific species, IE from these apes to humans, it doesn't account for the failure and successful mutations of said species.

I ignored this because I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say. You don't think evolution is the right word from my perspective? Does that mean you think I'm talking about something other than evolution--and if so, what? Living and dying can account for the failure and success of mutations in any given species--so I think you're wrong.

Next:

to my position, it wouldn't be revionist. what i quoted seems to be in line with my understanding environmental effects on the individual fundamental level

That's because you don't seem to understand what evolutionary theory actually says, or how the article in question relates to conventional evolutionary theory.

All the article is discussing is a possible alternative evolutionary chain of species between apes and humans. It's not saying anything about how this new species revolutionizes our understanding of evolution.

you'll just reply and say that one day one creature of a species randomly mutated an enzyme that broke down protein better than all the others beforehand but that mutated enzyme was not at all influenced by what the creature did or ate. so what really is the point? you aren't entertaining the idea that you are wrong and how you would challenge it. you're going to say there's no evidence for past and extinct creatures while likely also suggesting that humans are on too micro and close scale to use at all in comparison for past species.

I'm not going to keep going back and forth with you because you've made it very clear in the past what you think of me. You don't even respect my ability to understand basic science, while praising Eternal Metal's, despite the fact that Eternal Metal has (on more than one occasion) acknowledged that what I'm saying is basically in line with what evolutionary theory allows for (we've also mentioned this in the Mort Divine thread, but you ignored it).

I always entertain the possibility that I'm wrong, but I'm not going to concede when I'm not presented with anything compelling. In your case, I can't even understand your comments half the time. Granted, this is a forum and not a seminar paper; but if you want to be understood then you need to write clearly.

Finally, you're correct that I'm going to keep resisting what you say--not because I think it's impossible, but because I think you're ignoring what basic evolutionary theory dictates. I'm confused as to why your problem is with me and not with anyone else who has shared my perspective. I'm going to refer you to Eternal Metal's last post in the Mort Divine thread:

@rmsIm still unsure as to exactly where rms's opinion stands.

Our main point of contention is the degree to which environment directly influences mutation. I believe that environment shapes evolution only to the extent that it provides the conditions in which mutations can flourish; it cannot infiltrate the genome and engineer future mutations (and I don't think Harris would try and make this claim, but maybe I'm wrong). It seemed, at times, like [rms was] really insisting on this.

Yes. I still stand behind traditional evolution theory when it comes to the idea that the environment drives selection. Just because there are environmental feedback mechanisms intertwined with the genetic code does not change this. As a white man my skin still tans, but I am clearly not as adapted to a tropical environment with lots of sun as someone with naturally dark skin. Epigenetic mechanisms such as the ones proposed by Mukherjee simply prove that genes can be resilient, but there are still limitations (which is why evolutionary theory still reigns supreme).

When we say the "environment drives selection," we're not saying that organisms can promote certain genetic mutations by exercising certain bodily muscles or functions (although they may be able to affect expression). Genetic variance is always happening, it is always taking place, and different mutations either succeed or fail (i.e. survive or die out) depending on their applicability in a given environment.

I don't think what you're saying is impossible. I simply don't think any of the examples you've presented can't be explained via traditional evolutionary theory. In other words, I believe that chance variation can account for all these examples, including the one from the Telegraph article. Unless you find an example that can't be explained by traditional evolution, or you can explain why this article can only be explained by your theory, then I'm sorry.

EDIT: I haven't bothered to do this until now, but these are some sources I'm working from:

Francesca Merlin, "Weak Randomness at the Origin of Biological Variation: The Case of Genetic Mutations" (2016) and "Evolutionary Chance Mutation: A Defense of the Modern Synthesis' Consensus View" (2010)

Abstract for the latter:

In fact, some argue that mutations due to a particular kind of mutator mechanisms challenge the Modern Synthesis because they are produced when and where needed by the organisms concerned. This paper provides a defense of the Modern Synthesis’ consensus view about the chance nature of all genetic mutations by reacting to Jablonka and Lamb’s analysis of genetic mutations (2005) and the explicit Lamarckian flavor of their arguments. I argue that biologists can continue to talk about chance mutations according to what I call and define as the notion of “evolutionary chance,” which I claim is the Modern Synthesis’ consensus view and a reformulation of Darwin’s most influential idea of “chance” variation. Advances in molecular genetics are therefore significant but not revolutionary with respect to the Modern Synthesis’ paradigm.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/p/ptb/695...-defense-of-the-modern?rgn=main;view=fulltext

See also John Beatty, "Chance Variation: Darwin on Orchids" (2006):

For Darwin, the evolutionary implications of chance variation had to do with (1) the contingency of the outcomes of evolution by natural selection of chance variations, which could in turn lead to (2) chance divergence. He argued that two closely related, even initially identical lineages, inhabiting identical environments, may by chance give rise to different variations. Natural selection acting on different variations in the different lineages would then result in different outcomes, and hence divergence. Which outcomes occur would depend on which variations had occurred, and in what order. For Darwin, the evolutionary implications of chance variation had to do with (1) the contingency of the outcomes of evolution by natural selection of chance variations,
which could in turn lead to (2) chance divergence. He argued that two closely related, even initially identical lineages, inhabiting identical environments, may by chance give rise to different variations. Natural selection acting on different variations in the different lineages would then result in different outcomes, and hence divergence. Which outcomes occur would depend on which variations had occurred, and in what order.

Finally, from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy:

Whatever the cause of the generation of a variation may be, the role of selection is to accumulate those already present variations that happen to be beneficial. As Beatty put it, the generation of variations and their selection are ‘consecutive’ processes. But to call the generation of variation a ‘chance’ process is to use ‘chance’ in this second sense, meaning not by design or for some end.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/darwinism/#RolChaEvoThe

Last edited:
Radical Christian terrorism (pun intended):

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...e-murder-white-supremacist-muslim-hate-speech

According to police, while riding the MAX train in suburban north-east Portland, Jeremy Joseph Christian, 35, began “yelling various remarks that would best be characterized as hate speech toward a variety of ethnicities and religions.”

When fellow passengers attempted to intervene, Christian stabbed three of them. One man, 53-year-old Ricky John Best of Happy Valley, Oregon, died at the scene. Another, 23-year-old Taliesin Myrddin Namkai Meche of south-east Portland, was pronounced dead at a local hospital. A third, 21 year old Micah Fletcher, was treated for injuries that police said “are not expected to be life-threatening”.

The targets of Christian’s reported abuse included two young women who left the scene. Police believe they may have been Muslim, and that one may have been wearing a hijab. Police have appealed for these women to come forward.