The News Thread

they do ruin communities, although perhaps not to the same effect that organized gangs do.

I feel like 'ruin' either happens or doesn't, not levels of 'ruin'-ing to which you are suggesting. there's been like 10+ kids who have OD'd from it from my HS year and the one before, it isn't ruining anything here. It's really not comparable in that way at all

legalize the drugs they traffic.

I can never get this position, just morally/ethically. Legalize these terrible drugs just so HIV and other shared needle afflictions go down. I don't think there would ever be enough of a financial gain to support a policy to legalize heroin, meth or crack.

Complicity doesn't necessarily indicate intent, it can connote indifference or even ignorance (I don't mean that in a malign sense, I just mean that complicity can mean people don't realize the extent of their actions).

I know this is what you want the word to mean as this is how 'all whites are complicit in white supremacy' is used in liberal circles, but it's just as ridiculous as the speech is violent motion.

I've not heard him do it, of course he is from New York so when he speaks about gang activity he probably is being inner city-centric.

this comes up because Trump threatened to call in the national guard on inner city violence in Chicago but nowhere else. Hilariously, twitter circles then went "Why Chicago, racist? New Orleans has the highest murder per capita, go there first!" as if that's really the main issue here -- slightly improper use of resources.

I feel like 'ruin' either happens or doesn't, not levels of 'ruin'-ing to which you are suggesting. there's been like 10+ kids who have OD'd from it from my HS year and the one before, it isn't ruining anything here. It's really not comparable in that way at all

Ruin depends on perspective. Those who live in communities affected by opioids claim they're ruining them, just in different ways. As you suggest, issues of addiction and dependency also need to be dealt with.

I can never get this position, just morally/ethically. Legalize these terrible drugs just so HIV and other shared needle afflictions go down. I don't think there would ever be enough of a financial gain to support a policy to legalize heroin, meth or crack.

Sure, it doesn't solve a host of problems associated with addiction/dependency. But it redirects the concern over the presence of drugs from the threat of violence to personal use/responsibility.

Reactions: Nate Skalman
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/espn-broadcaster-robert-lee-off-uva-game-due-49369688

ESPN broadcaster Robert Lee will not work Virginia's season opener because of recent violence in Charlottesville sparked by the decision to remove a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

A spokeswoman for ESPN says Lee has been moved to Youngstown State's game at Pittsburgh on the ACC Network on Sept. 2. The network says the decision was made "as the tragic events in Charlottesville were unfolding, simply because of the coincidence of his name."

Have we reached peak ridiculousness yet?

I think there will always be violence associated with drugs- where people see a way to make fast money there will always be potential for robberies, dealer turf wars etc. My older sisters both ran with a couple biker gangs that don't share a peaceful mindset. Dangerous fucking people...you think racists are bad?- these people are way worse.not everyone is just minding their own business using them for 'personal use' in their homes, but I hear the other side of the debate. There should be a district out of the city for hard drug users IMO

Read Corey Long's story. If you don't believe it, then that's your prerogative.

Regarding all the other questions, I encourage everyone to do their own reading. I waste too much time arguing futilely on this forum.

You're without a doubt the most intellectually dishonest person on this forum.

The problem with suggestions like "do your own reading" is that, for example, you and I could read 100 of the same news articles and interpret many if not all of them differently in terms of extrapolations, inferences, etc.

intellectually dishonest

19789999.jpg

The problem with suggestions like "do your own reading" is that, for example, you and I could read 100 of the same news articles and interpret many if not all of them differently in terms of extrapolations, inferences, etc.

Coincidentally, what HBB criticizes me for is interpreting sources in a particular way.

Coincidentally, what HBB criticizes me for is interpreting sources in a particular way.

Interpreting sources or conferring legitimacy to x or y source? When an issue is politicized, the neutrality of sources is always under intense scrutiny. The problem facing us now is that due to the reach of government, practically everything is political. But of course, that that is even a problem is probably a point of disagreement.

Interpreting sources or conferring legitimacy to x or y source? When an issue is politicized, the neutrality of sources is always under intense scrutiny. The problem facing us now is that due to the reach of government, practically everything is political. But of course, that that is even a problem is probably a point of disagreement.

Probably. ;) Although I would say that it is certainly problematic. There's just nothing to be done about it. Government isn't the only institution that confers political significance onto things. That's an effect of social systems in general.

And yes, interpreting sources.

Government isn't the only institution that confers political significance onto things. That's an effect of social systems in general.

Sure, but when corporations or individuals confer political significance it has both a leveraging function and a function of further government empowerment. Both of which attempt to wield government like a personal outsized cudgel and to simultaneously, ultimately, weaken the wielder.

13 people killed, 100+ injured, so much carnage and chaos that a little boy was declared missing for nearly 2 days until they found his corpse and now an international manhunt is underway.

I hope they find this scumfuck, the communities of peace are probably hiding him right now.
The driver in Thursday's van attack that killed 13 people in a tourist area of Barcelona may still be alive and on the run, Spanish police say.
They are hunting for Moroccan-born Younes Abouyaaqoub, now named by Spanish media as the suspected driver.
A man previously reported as the key suspect, Moussa Oukabir, 17, was one of five men killed by police after a later attack in Cambrils, west of Barcelona.
Police say the suspects had been planning more sophisticated attacks.
They said blasts on Wednesday at a house in the town of Alcanar deprived plotters of bomb material, so they carried out simpler attacks using vehicles.
Abouyaaqoub, 22, lived in the town of Ripoll to the north of Barcelona. Three people have been arrested in Ripoll and one person in Alcanar.