The News Thread

1. Is that even stand your ground?

According to the sheriff, yes but even if it weren't SYG it would still be justified. If the driver feared for his life (which any reasonable person would if some guy said he had a gun and approached you aggressively), then he was totally in his right to defend himself. He did not have a duty to retreat since his car was his only means of reasonable escape and he was outside of it when the guy was coming to him. Again, completely justified self defense kill.

Even in NYC, if you have a gun and threaten to shoot someone unprovoked while approaching them, you're probably going to be declared a valid shooting target. Only a few absolutely garbage states like Vermont have absolute duty to retreat.

Reactions: Dak
Yeah but you can only shoot deer with it.

So much for their state motto then. Any gun law is unconstitutional anyway but these bootlicking libs don't care about that.

One less degenerate on the streets, great news.

Dude was probably a bully anyway and more than likely was abusive and controlling to his girlfriend if he was waiting for her to come out of that bar.

Ice-T said it best:

:tickled: Well, to be convinced that I should care you first need to convince me that something being unconstitutional is automatically a bad thing.

Why something being unconstitutional is a bad thing: Because the 2nd Amendment ends with shall not be infringed. Any gun law passed is an infringement of this right by definition.

Now, I heard an interesting take from a podcast I listened to the other day that the judiciary is what makes the law and not the piece of paper itself (he was a South African attorney). Does that imply the Constitution should be rewritten from scratch?

Why something being unconstitutional is a bad thing: Because the 2nd Amendment ends with shall not be infringed. Any gun law passed is an infringement of this right by definition.

This tells me why you think the second amendment specifically is a good thing; it doesn't explain why something being unconstitutional is de facto a bad thing.

For example, in 1919 the eighteenth amendment made it illegal to manufacture and sell alcohol within the U.S. So at that time, according to your logic, making/purchasing/possessing liquor was bad because it was unconstitutional.

My point is that the constitution changes, and laws change. Constitutionalism has nothing to do with it; I highly doubt you'd say that the eighteenth amendment was a good thing because it was constitutional. The real reason you like the second amendment isn't because it's constitutional, but because you like guns and think people should be allowed to own them no matter what. You tell yourself it's constitutional and good because it reinforces your personal values.

The 2nd amendment gets several justifications. One, the doomsday scenario - protection from government. Another, protection from common crime. Finally, the position that rather than needing justification for doing something, there must be extensive justification for prohibition.

Gun, knife, bat, or even a weapon of opportunity, who gives a shit what it is. If you look at these types of situations from a high level and filter out all of the distractions, if you don't fuck with people or threaten them things like this won't happen. Fact.

Reactions: Dak and CiG
How NBC ‘Killed’ Ronan Farrow’s Weinstein Exposé.
According to a television-industry insider familiar with Farrow’s NBC News project, however, “Farrow and his producer had been working this for 10 months. They had eight interviews on camera, with a mix of silhouette and not-silhouette—so eight women speaking. They had an NYPD audio tape, and they had enough for a story. And NBC did everything they could to delay it, complicate it, and ultimately Noah [Oppenheim] killed it. NBC shut it down.”

Reactions: Dak