The News Thread

Culture is the boundary most people behave within, and reactions like yours are as predictable as reactions like mine. In this instance I think this advert will be valuable in learning what not to do in the future, much like the sexist adverts objectifying women to sell men beer.

I'm not suggesting cultures aren't all that, but to me they make little difference in the way I look at an ad like that.

I also think we will see more of these ads because people love to be outraged and people love to hate. My bet is that it's not learning what not to do, it's learning how to do the same thing in different ways so people don't think it's the same.

In the end, the popularity of beards has hurt Gillette more than anything else. They had to drop product prices by like 15% a few years ago, apparently in large part due to this. #Culture

But Gillette do so much more than just shavers I can't see beards having that much effect. But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

so gillette responded to the prevalence of beards by making an ad about how men should become more feminine? that would actually be genius if it weren't for the fact that beards are just as beloved by metrosexuals as manly men these days.

Reactions: CiG
I also think we will see more of these ads because people love to be outraged and people love to hate. My bet is that it's not learning what not to do, it's learning how to do the same thing in different ways so people don't think it's the same.

Then why do we see less objectification of women in adverts, not more?

But Gillette do so much more than just shavers I can't see beards having that much effect. But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Was reading this article, in which it says:
Gillette, which P&G bought for $54 billion in 2005, continues to struggle to keep its dominant market share in men’s grooming from newer brands like Harry’s and Dollar Shave Club. Add to that the cultural trend that sees more men rocking beards or waiting longer between shaves and you have a business under chronic pressure. While P&G reported a generally strong quarter, sales fell 3% in its grooming business. “The biggest impact is the societal impacts and incidence of shaving both here and in Europe,” P&G CFO Jon Moeller told Wall Street analysts on Wednesday. “If you just purchased a package of 12 razor blades from us or from somebody else, we probably won’t see you in that category for a year.”

Reactions: Slammed
That's interesting, it actually goes against what I was told for Gillette Aust.

Laura Plummer, now 34, was sentenced to three years in prison on Boxing Day 2017 for drug possession after she was stopped at Hurghada airport in October that year with 290 tramadol tablets in her suitcase.

Not that I'm opposed to free markets, but it seems like she was trafficking the stuff to me. Probably lucky that she's a white European woman and not a black Somalian man.

i didn't really have an opinion on the story
i just wanted "the news thread" to have an actual news discussion
instead of just talking about Gillette razors

like maybe someone could have just made a "let's talk about Gillette" thread or something

the first quote was from the I hate Grunge thread

and i removed all the pix from my sig to make it smaller

This is the best way to "hurt" the company. I haven't shaved my face in almost 20 years, so I don't buy razors, but if I did, I would do the same as you.

I buy them to shave the area from my beard to my neck so I don't become a literal neckbeard and for when I need to do a quick trim of other areas. Otherwise, I use an electric beard trimmer. I currently have Gillette razors that I've been using for a while but buying them was a sunk cost so Gillette doesn't get any more of my money the more I use that particular razor since they got all my money up front. I just won't buy any Gillette products going forward. In fact, I think one of them was free so joke's on them.

Why do people buy name brand razors anyways? It's not like comparing Dr. Pepper to Mr. Perky. I've only ever bought generic though, so maybe I'm missing something.

Not that I'm opposed to free markets, but it seems like she was trafficking the stuff to me. Probably lucky that she's a white European woman and not a black Somalian man.

I doubt it. Tramadol is weird. It's not really a black market drug. It doesn't get people high, yet it somehow still fucks them up (irritability, persistent drowsiness, mood swings) and is super addictive. Tramadol heads in the pharmacy were sometimes almost as bad as Benzo fiends. Also, 290 might sound like a lot, but it really isn't, or at least during my time in the pharmacy it wasn't. For chronic pain, a typical dosage generally prescribed (at least in the US) is 50mg twice a day, or 60 pills for a one month supply, but 3-4 times a day is pretty common. It's not unheard of for prescription to call for 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours as needed for pain. Pharmacy's are supposed to assume patients are taking the maximum dose possible, so that's 360 pills for a one month supply. This is an extreme and obviously questionable case, but I saw it numerous times my 4 1/2 years in the industry.

Oh, and Oxy 30s were prescribed like that for over 10 years. I got into the business just as that practice, at least regarding serious opiates, was starting to end.

Why do people buy name brand razors anyways? It's not like comparing Dr. Pepper to Mr. Perky. I've only ever bought generic though, so maybe I'm missing something.

I think this way about a lot of stuff. At least with buying "big" name brand clothes you get some signaling value out of it, or in some cases it is made significantly better, but name brand daily/weekly consumables usually provide neither benefit.

Reactions: CiG
This is the best way to "hurt" the company. I haven't shaved my face in almost 20 years, so I don't buy razors, but if I did, I would do the same as you.
i actually dont shave anymore either(i do hit the reset button about once a year though) so im not sure i did any damage to them, lol. But yeah, none of their products will ever be used again by me or my family.