The News Thread

This is pretty funny. Looks like Gillette's original advert included a glimpse of a rap video depicting a black rapper objectifying two women, then it was replaced on Youtube with an edited version with that small scene removed.

The free advertising Gillette has had out of the ad campaign is brilliant for them and I bet their sales have barely changed globally because of the hype the ad created.

"Brilliant" based on what data?

The fact that millions of people around the world are talking about it. The fact that social media lit up with outraged people. The fact that talk shows around the world were talking about it. Even if every one of those people that talked about hated it, which they didn't, it's still the kind of advertising money can't buy. Just like every company who has had a similar campaign make headlines around the world Gillette will be cheerfully riding this all the way to the bank.

How much were Pepsi's sales affected when they did that ad that caused controversy because of some female was handing out Pepsi at some rally. Who even talks about that ad now? In a few months that will be the Gillette ad, no one will give a shit.

And even if there is a significant change it wont last long, it never does. Humans attach themselves to brands and have short memories.

Just because you don't want to agree with something that is right can we still be pals?

My pals are as my pals do.

It's not that I don't agree that it will become forgotten, or that the story in and of itself is pretty unimportant. I view these things from the perspective of culture and what it indicates that a corporation is doing this kind of advert. It's more interesting to me considered alongside other events.

And like I said, it's even more interesting that they initially had a black rapper slapping asses and then went and edited that bit out and re-uploaded the advert to Youtube. Even if they take a dip in profits, they can very easily rectify things with a statement or another advert.

I don't have an opinion either way on cultures but human behaviour as a whole is the most interesting part of this ad for me. Watching humans react is hilarious, sad and too often entirely predictable. Like so many other ads that have caused outrage this ad will be studied and analysed by advertising gurus and self proclaimed behavioural experts who think they understand humans and many of the elements will be used in future advertising campaigns because advertising companies know how effective it is.

#MaintainTheRage
#WeWillRageAgain

I don't have an opinion either way on cultures but human behaviour as a whole is the most interesting part of this ad for me. Watching humans react is hilarious, sad and too often entirely predictable. Like so many other ads that have caused outrage this ad will be studied and analysed by advertising gurus and self proclaimed behavioural experts who think they understand humans and many of the elements will be used in future advertising campaigns because advertising companies know how effective it is.

#MaintainTheRage
#WeWillRageAgain

Culture is the boundary most people behave within, and reactions like yours are as predictable as reactions like mine. In this instance I think this advert will be valuable in learning what not to do in the future, much like the sexist adverts objectifying women to sell men beer.