The News Thread

There's no need to "ban ur gunz". There needs to be a lot of reforms in the process though.

Gun homicides in poverty stricken areas related to drug/gang violence is a seperate issue. That is a structural economic problem.

Gun homicides in poverty stricken areas related to drug/gang violence is a seperate issue.

No, that's pretty much the issue. More people are killed in single days in major cities (which usually have really strict gun policies) than in any one "mass shooting" episode, and no one pays it any attention. Mass shootings are given an inordinate amount of attention which gives more attention whoring disenfranchised males the incentive to go out with a "bang". If anyone wants to place blame on anything other than the individual shooter, let's place it on on our digital rubbernecking of the crime scene, or the media which profits from it.

Jesus fuck.

TIQW2GW.jpg

Five times as many people in the US as the UK, roughly?

That probably explains everything like this turning out about five times as bad.

That can't be accurately assessed, and is probably incorrect. For starters, the UK has a broader definition of "violent crime" than the US does.

It also has a history of underreporting by the victims (relative) and reporting multiple incidents as a single incident(systemic). Should balance out.

Under-reporting happens in this country too...

Not like in the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3245966/Serious-violent-crime-under-reported-for-a-decade.html

I know I posted that here at some point. And the problem hasn't been fixed: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27226110

Having trouble relocating the article I was reading, but the US has the highest "police confidence" rating in the developed world iirc, which is closely correlated with crime reporting, thus making claims of "underreporting" suspect, at least relatively speaking.

Edit, nm found this blog. this will work:

http://www.lexingtonprosecutor.com/according-to-a-recent-gallup-poll-78-of-americans-have-confidence-in-u-s-police/

As per other accounts, most of the lack of confidence is among Democrats who are either white and reside in low crime areas or black and reside in high crime areas. Either way, I doubt it affects reporting much, and the US is still ahead of the Uk in confidence (and most likely thusly reporting) % either way.

I also wonder if overall population density has an effect on crime rate.

I bet it does, and I posted a study that suggested as much in the "Batshit" thread but it got nary a comment.

Studies have found that crime is grossly under-reported in the U.S. too. I don't think you can convincingly say one is worse than the other.

Yeah, tons of regretse-I mean rapes unreported. According to the US underreporting numbers I pulled it was mostly <18 yrs bullying and "rape".

Based on the information from the links for googling "Underreporting crime in the Uk" and "Underreporting crime in the US", the difference in police confidence (in favor of the US), and the overall trends, I think I can very confidently say the UK is worse than the US.

But I think there is definitely population density problem at play here. Unfortunately, the agenda of TPTB won't even mention this, much less the problem of standardized and "ucandooeet" education models.

Yeah, tons of regretse-I mean rapes unreported. According to the US underreporting numbers I pulled it was mostly <18 yrs bullying and "rape".

Rapes just make the headlines because of the gender and feminism angles. Robberies, thefts, assaults... all of these have significant under-reported numbers too.