The News Thread

Asks for evidence = nonthinking Trumptard. I didn't vote for Trump in the last election and I most likely won't in 2020.
Prove you're not a Trumptard by doing it yourself
Seriously
Let's have Dak make the list of horrible shit about Trump
I swear it will be easy
Just Google-search "Donald Trump"

1. Failed promote fiscal discipline (in fact, is pro-deficit).
2. Failed to launch domestic infrastructure initiatives.
3. Failed to end wasteful foreign intervention (although hasn't increased intervention substantially).
4. Poor senior-level advisor talent procurement and retention (positive spin is that poor procurement effects are at least moderated by poor retention).

These aren't "horrible", in that he's not really doing much worse by these measures as possible competition.

giphy.gif

Reactions: CiG
France declares anti-Zionism a form of antisemitism in crackdown on racism against Jewish people.

Macron.jpg

Emmanuel Macron has declared anti-Zionism a form of antisemitism as he ramps up France’s crackdown on racism against Jewish people.

Speaking at the 34th annual dinner of the Representative Council of Jewish Institutions of France, Mr Macron said a surge in antisemitic attacks in his country had not been seen since World War Two.

He promised a new law to tackle hate speech on the internet and said France would adopt the definition of antisemitism set by the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA).

The IHRA definition does not use the phrase "anti-Zionism" but does say denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination "e.g., by claiming that the existence of a State of Israel is a racist endeavour," is antisemitic.

Some critics of Israel, its occupation of territory internationally recognised as Palestinian, and its isolation of the Gaza Strip, say they risk being unfairly branded antisemitic, although the IHRA definition says: "criticism of Israel similar to that levelled against any other country" is not.

Have there been any non-Islamic attacks (e.g. murders not vandalized memorials) on Jews in France this century?

1. Failed promote fiscal discipline (in fact, is pro-deficit).
2. Failed to launch domestic infrastructure initiatives.
3. Failed to end wasteful foreign intervention (although hasn't increased intervention substantially).
4. Poor senior-level advisor talent procurement and retention (positive spin is that poor procurement effects are at least moderated by poor retention).

These aren't "horrible", in that he's not really doing much worse by these measures as possible competition.
Omfg
You actually did it
I seriously thought you were just gonna tell me to fuck off

I lurk on Twitter and it's sad and amusing to watch people lose all ability to think critically and engage civically whenever Jews are entered as a topic.

Supreme Court totally half-assed this
But it's a step in the right direction

I wonder what @HamburgerBoy thinks of Ozzman's link

I'm no legal expert obviously and haven't fully read the decision yet, but it does seem a little underwhelming in that the main issue they take is from an excessive fines standpoint. Off the top of my head I don't know if there have been any rulings that define excessive fines in the sense that previous rulings have, for example, defined execution as an excessive punishment for all but murder and treason. It's not immediately clear to me whether this ruling incorporates the Eighth Amendment in a way that defines excessive fines purely according to the legal code of the respective states (which seems like a kind of quasi-incorporation) or whether they're trying to set a precedent for future federal oversight of what may be considered an allowable fine. The former is good, though minor in that this only applies to those convicted of a crime. The real problem is that suspicion alone, as well as civil court rulings, can be used to damage a suspect in an extra-legal way. RBG is one of the five liberal justices that sided with a state government to utilize eminent domain for the benefit of private business, for example, and while eminent domain and civil courts/forfeiture are two entirely different things, I could easily imagine this ruling acting as no more than a moderate cap on state revenues through fines.

I'm no legal expert obviously and haven't fully read the decision yet, but it does seem a little underwhelming in that the main issue they take is from an excessive fines standpoint. Off the top of my head I don't know if there have been any rulings that define excessive fines in the sense that previous rulings have, for example, defined execution as an excessive punishment for all but murder and treason. It's not immediately clear to me whether this ruling incorporates the Eighth Amendment in a way that defines excessive fines purely according to the legal code of the respective states (which seems like a kind of quasi-incorporation) or whether they're trying to set a precedent for future federal oversight of what may be considered an allowable fine. The former is good, though minor in that this only applies to those convicted of a crime. The real problem is that suspicion alone, as well as civil court rulings, can be used to damage a suspect in an extra-legal way. RBG is one of the five liberal justices that sided with a state government to utilize eminent domain for the benefit of private business, for example, and while eminent domain and civil courts/forfeiture are two entirely different things, I could easily imagine this ruling acting as no more than a moderate cap on state revenues through fines.

Nah, state police will just cite more people for traffic violations to make up the difference

this amazon/nyc thing is hard to determine whos the biggest bullshitter, but wowza

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/op...udget-director-robert-mujica-regarding-amazon

"Second, some Queens politicians catered to minor, but vocal local political forces in opposition to the Amazon government incentives as 'corporate welfare.' Ironically, much of the visible 'local' opposition, which was happy to appear at press conferences and protest at City Council hearings during work hours, were actual organizers paid by one union: RWDSU. (If you are wondering if that is even legal, probably not). Even more ironic is these same elected officials all signed a letter of support for Amazon at the Long Island City location and in support of the application. They were all for it before Twitter convinced them to be against it.

Furthermore, opposing Amazon was not even good politics, as the politicians have learned since Amazon pulled out. They are like the dog that caught the car. They are now desperately and incredibly trying to explain their actions. They cannot. They are trying to justify their flip-flopping on the issue with false accusations that it was a 'backroom deal.

"Incredibly, I have heard city and state elected officials who were opponents of the project claim that Amazon was getting $3 billion in government subsidies that could have been better spent on housing or transportation. This is either a blatant untruth or fundamental ignorance of basic math by a group of elected officials. The city and state 'gave' Amazon nothing. Amazon was to build their headquarters with union jobs and pay the city and state $27 billion in revenues. The city, through existing as-of-right tax credits, and the state through Excelsior Tax credits - a program approved by the same legislators railing against it - would provide up to $3 billion in tax relief, IF Amazon created the 25,000-40,000 jobs and thus generated $27 billion in revenue. You don't need to be the State's Budget Director to know that a nine to one return on your investment is a winner.

Wouldn't be surprised if Dems redistrict AOC out of existence at some point in the near-ish future.

Reactions: Dak