The News Thread

Current and former members of border patrol had some secret Facebook group leaked to public, filled with sexual jokes about members of congress, jokes and derogatory comments about migrants (even dead ones). This is sure to be a shitstorm.

The Facebook group was largely /pol/ memes being appropriated by boomers afaik, but AOC recently accused border patrol of physically and sexually "threatening" her when she visited one of the detention centers. I'll bet.

EDIT: In recent news, Trump surrenders on the census question and ensures that millions of illegals will get to vote in 2020. 4D chess

Last edited:
Reactions: Dak
Facebook images crashed, lots of pictures now feature brief descriptions of their possible contents. Here's the description of my profile photo:

Your Profile Photo, Image may contain: 1 person, cat and eyeglasses

I'm offended.

I acknowledge that I have political leanings that inform what I post, but I'll leave those aside just to enjoy the humor of this statement.

Also, you can tell he's trying to channel Churchill and just failing miserably.

I thought the speech was decent aside from that covfefe level flub. Got a good laugh from Vox et al moaning about how it wasn't the grossly partisan campaigning affair they expected.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3408309

College completion rates declined from the 1970s to the 1990s. We document that this trend has reversed - since the 1990s, college completion rates have increased. We investigate the reasons for the increase in college graduation rates. Collectively, student characteristics, institutional resources, and institution attended do not explain much of the change. However, we document that standards for degree receipt may explain some of the change in graduation rates.

"Research has found that grass appears green and the sky appears blue."

Totally possible, but have you read any pre-1960s dissertations? Remember, it's only the legends from back then that we still hear about today. Hell, it wasn't uncommon in the early 20th century for people to be awarded a doctorate for doing what a high-level, grad school bound BA student today would do.

Agreed of course in principle that standards shouldn't be sacrificed to squeeze people through, but it's not like everybody today's graduating summa.

Totally possible, but have you read any pre-1960s dissertations? Remember, it's only the legends from back then that we still hear about today. Hell, it wasn't uncommon in the early 20th century for people to be awarded a doctorate for doing what a high-level, grad school bound BA student today would do.

Agreed of course in principle that standards shouldn't be sacrificed to squeeze people through, but it's not like everybody today's graduating summa.

Big difference in the tools available today. We are graduating people who can barely read in many (not most obviously) cases.

Big difference in the tools available today. We are graduating people who can barely read in many (not most obviously) cases.

In high school, not college. The less-powerful tools available to college graduates in the 60s justify their degrees, but the presence of better tools today doesn't necessarily justify increasing standards to match graduation levels of the 60s.

In high school, not college. The less-powerful tools available to college graduates in the 60s justify their degrees, but the presence of better tools today doesn't necessarily justify increasing standards to match graduation levels of the 60s.

There's a reason that you have a hard time finding good, complex solo or even duo author publications now, while the majority in the 60s, 70s, and even into the 80s if not 90s were solo/duo. Everything is more complex now, by virtue of the technology available at every level. I can use SPSS/R/SAS on my laptop/home PC/lab PC. I don't have to wait on allotted time on the single school mainframe, which I have to understand how to use, and if I make one syntax error, I have to wait all over again. I can sit in my underwear and search multiple journals/books for any combination of keywords I can think of. I can simply copy/paste my references. I can collect all the articles I need in PDF. I HAVE CTL F!!!!

Despite having all of these tools, standards are lowered because colleges are admitting people who have no business attending, because they are chasing dollars. The same is true of completing high school. These kids are being pushed through and a much higher percentage can't read and especially write worth a damn. Just because people are completing a degree doesn't mean they are any more educated. In fact, they may be less so.