The News Thread

http://qz.com/545110/the-future-of-medicine-is-food/

Harlan expects a sea change to take place in the way doctors treat chronic illness—and the way insurance charges for it. At the conference, Kass described a future where doctors write recipes as prescriptions and insurance companies treat food as a reimbursable expense. (There is, of course, a strong economic argument in favor of a prevention-based approach to health.) Harlan predicts that care plans will eventually include menu planning, recipes and maybe even programming to get the ingredients delivered to patients. “Call me up in ten years and let’s see if that’s true.”

Sounds good, but why do I feel like there's going to wind up being an issue with the particular brands/types of food which are deemed reimbursable - if that became a thing.

I dunno..with obesity being labeled a disease, I think it's the other way around, eh?

But the big picture, this is what upsets me about public funded healthcare and what I fear for publicly funded higher education.

Bloomberg was totally justified to "abolish" large soda's in part that the taxpayers fund medicinal care but jesus christ how ridiculous is our society going to get in the next 25 years.

For education, I fear us following the German model. I am torn about helping the poor and government intervention. Politics sucks.

My German teacher presented the German model in a pretty positive light. I see the appeal of tracking. I think the apprentice model needs to come back for a lot of things, and German tracking provides something along those lines.

The large soda thing was stupid. Soda might contribute significantly to obesity but making poor people spend more money on it doesn't work very well, unless you raise the cost out of reach. Cigs have gotten stupidly expensive and yet I still see poor people buyin em up - while purchasing their lotto tickets.

From my understanding, all public places just could not sell soda above 32 ounces. Not that it cost more. Maybe i'm misremembering though.

German model is brutal though. You are pegged into a life track at like age 13. Class divisions based on your aptitude/stupidity at such a young age. Fundamentally cannot agree with their system. Mike Rowe is doing things for "hard labor"/apprenticeships, but I think we're starting to realize we have drifted away in fear of being STEM-behind.

From my understanding, all public places just could not sell soda above 32 ounces. Not that it cost more. Maybe i'm misremembering though.

Ah. Well in that case it's more pointless than I thought. I meant cost in having to buy many smaller units, but if it only applies to like, fast food restaurants - whoopTdoo.

German model is brutal though. You are pegged into a life track at like age 13. Class divisions based on your aptitude/stupidity at such a young age. Fundamentally cannot agree with their system.

I completely understand the revulsion to such a system, it was my initial response as well. However, I think this is because we do not trust system to accurately track and we just assume misery in a mismatch. However, Germans do not generally feel this is an issue. Many of our college kids (should be "adults" but oh well) change majors at least once, and universities are having to create bogus degrees like "University Studies" for those students who have been attending for 6+ years and aren't anywhere near a degree because they don't know what they want to do. Then you have people who get into a career and don't like it/it doesn't utilize their talents etc.

In contrast, being put into something you have an affinity for, and can start working on those skills very early/being surrounded by a cohort/ being brought into the atmosphere early on, provides a lot of stability and support and meaning that the US model lacks.

fuck taxes, fuck welfare, and fuck obamacare. poor shits can just fuck off and die.