The News Thread

At this point I think Bannon is a pure fraud, but wishing to kill your political opponents is one of the greatest ways you can celebrate being an American.

qwwqwqw.jpg

They’re two very different things, though...

Not really, you're just applying more importance to one because you're biased. Both should be protected by freedom of speech (they are---not implying Twitter, Youtube or CNN is the state) and both were absurd situations where no reasonable human being would think it's a call to action to literally cut someone's head off.

If you think...
“I’d actually like to go back to the old times of Tudor England, I’d put the heads on pikes, right, I’d put them at the two corners of the White House as a warning to federal bureaucrats. You either get with the program or you’re gone – time to stop playing games.”

...is a credible call for beheadings you're fucking retarded, sorry.

I think Kathy Griffin’s photo was tasteless, but made some angsty youths chuckle.

I think Bannon’s comment was tasteless, but made some angry men nod in earnest agreement.

In other words, I doubt Griffin thinks what she did could be construed as a call to action; I don’t doubt that Bannon thinks it could.

Reactions: zerostatic
I agree with CiG on this. If he what he said was something like "Somebody needs to get ahold of Pelosi can cut her head off," that would be totally different. Making an allusion to feudal times on a political podcast is far from a threat. It really bothers me how many liberals are beginning to be ok with censorship by a small number of corporate oligarchs.

Reactions: CiG
Tastelessness aside, I think it speaks to the responsibility of a public figure toward their audience. Kathy Griffin’s audience (which let’s be honest, who the fuck is that?) likely wouldn’t see her photo as a call to violence. There’s a greater chance that Bannon’s does.

I’m more bothered by what I see as a simplistic condemnation of censorship as a way to avoid difficult conversations about mediating personal responsibility and public safety. It’s why I support censorship of videos telling people that masks are a health hazard and that mouthwash kills coronavirus.

That's getting into the territory of trying to control how a crazy person will interpret something.

Any reasonable person knows a historical reference to piking heads to send a message is obviously facetious. If a maniac takes it upon themselves to cosplay as Vlad The Impaler and launch an attack on a FBI director because of what Bannon said you can't really lay the blame at his feet.

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
I’m more bothered by what I see as a simplistic condemnation of censorship as a way to avoid difficult conversations about mediating personal responsibility and public safety. It’s why I support censorship of videos telling people that masks are a health hazard and that mouthwash kills coronavirus.

The solution is better media literacy and science education, not censorship. For the record, and I’ll acknowledge this is anecdotal, the only people I know who believe that stuff have been on the deep end of pseudoscience for decades before COVID.

Any reasonable person knows a historical reference to piking heads to send a message is obviously facetious. If a maniac takes it upon themselves to cosplay as Vlad The Impaler and launch an attack on a FBI director because of what Bannon said you can't really lay the blame at his feet.

I wouldn’t blame him for it, but I would argue that he’s responsible.

"My tribe wouldn't take extreme takes to the extreme but my enemies would". Responsible, even-keeled mindreading.

Thanks, I thought so too. It’s right-wing plots the FBI keeps foiling, after all.

The solution is better media literacy and science education, not censorship.

I agree. But conservatism is why we can’t have nice things.

For the record, and I’ll acknowledge this is anecdotal, the only people I know who believe that stuff have been on the deep end of pseudoscience for decades before COVID.

I think a LOT of people are on that end.

Oh okay. Well, personally I don't care that much if his Youtube or Twitter gets taken down if what he did violated ToS. I'd prefer it didn't happen (just like I thought it was dumb that Griffin got fired) but whatever they're rich fucks with no real threat of being silenced anyway. They could just walk outside and get swarmed by the media.

:rofl: It helps to know you’re a nutcase.

lmao, it has been going on since the Islamic terror meme, they've only changed targets recently because it's politically convenient. Anyone that has done the slightest research knows that the FBI mostly only catches their own stings while missing the actual terrorists until it's too late.

Feel bad for that sleeping homeless guy they shattered glass all over and probably scared the shit out of. As if life doesn't suck enough already and a horde of anarcho-cockheads march through and destroy everything in sight. Top it all off apparently that church was a homeless shelter and a place where homeless people can get a meal.

Thank god no threats of piking heads were made though.