The News Thread

giphy.gif

Reactions: zerostatic and CiG
For shits and giggles, it's ironic that the comparison between the Armenian genocide and Indigenous American genocide isn't something new. In Henry Morgenthau's diary, he wrote that a Turkish official (if I recall) said something along the lines that the Turkish slaughter of Armenians was comparable to the U.S. slaughter of Africans. Morgenthau actually wrote in his diary, "I think he must have meant Native Americans, not Africans" (or something to that extent).

So yeah, it's not like historically awful people haven't recognized the similarity.

I do not follow that site, but I’ve been suspicious of crypto from the get go. People have been suspicious enough of the stock market, and crypto wants people to trust the value of blockchain currency? It’s a level of abstraction most people can’t wrap their brains around (I can’t).

I mean, all currency is imagined value; it just depends on how collective and shared that imagination is. Crypto doesn’t have the foundation.

Reactions: rms
Eventually the government will ban businesses from accepting cryptocurrency and make a law so that all American transactions must be in USD. This will effectively crash the crypto market and EU will ban it as well as possibly China and Japan.

The sooner the better. The crypto market is a gaping maw consuming the vast majority of the graphics cards coming out. No matter how many graphics cards we throw at it it still wants more. This is growing to be such a problem that it’s affecting multiple other industries from car production lines being shut down, to phones, to gaming consoles, to even chips for defense/military being unavailable.

It takes a great deal of energy to produce each crypto currency, and then that’s multiplied by thousands more computers running to verify each transaction. This energy is effectively wasted and it’s bad for the environment as well as wasting our supply of computer chips.

crypto is a Wild West of capitalism growing out of control and like all wild wests it will be regulated and tamed eventually

I say all of this as a person who has made a considerable amount of cash from gambling on crypto. In the end, in the long run, it is bad for the world. If you invest in it be ready to pull your cash out of it at any time. It’s stressful to watch it constantly imo

another point, we don’t even know who created bitcoin. Why are we so ready to let them store this bitcoin encrypted data on our machines? Why does that necessarily have to be garbage data? It could be spyware for all we know. And then the inventors of these coins are sitting on millions of coins of their own stashes. It’s making themselves rich. I bet at least some of these coins were created by Russians or who knows what entity, to funnel money from the rest of the world to themselves.

It's interesting to hear someone suggest that governments will ban crypto, most people I hear talk about it think the most governments will do is try to regulate it, which I can't see happening either, well not effectively. I really don't care what they do but it's quite amusing to read on another forum I frequent just what crypto is costing the world and it's 'green' economy while the same people preaching crypto as the way of the future argue just how much green power their solar panels are putting back into the grid and how much difference they are making.

As you say the resources used worldwide to make crypto work is massive. Piles and piles of graphics cards being dumped when they stop becoming useful, other computer hardware being dumped, the waste alone is a huge problem, but the carbon footprint is even bigger. I was reading an article a few weeks ago that claimed the carbon footprint from crypto servers is currently larger than the airline and shipping industry combined and will grow to more than 30% of the worlds carbon footprint by 2045, with current trends. I can't find the article right now, it's doesn't seem to be in my cache, but even while taking their figures with a grain of salt the impact of the crypto market is quite massive.

Reactions: Baroque
Yeah, it sucks, but at the same time you'd be mad not to have some considering the values it'll reach before it crashes or flattens out. The article says that attempts at reform are blocked, but surely only a significantly reformed sort of cryptocurrency would have what it takes to survive for longer and be acceptable for daily use in society.

It's interesting to hear someone suggest that governments will ban crypto, most people I hear talk about it think the most governments will do is try to regulate it, which I can't see happening either, well not effectively. I really don't care what they do but it's quite amusing to read on another forum I frequent just what crypto is costing the world and it's 'green' economy while the same people preaching crypto as the way of the future argue just how much green power their solar panels are putting back into the grid and how much difference they are making.

As you say the resources used worldwide to make crypto work is massive. Piles and piles of graphics cards being dumped when they stop becoming useful, other computer hardware being dumped, the waste alone is a huge problem, but the carbon footprint is even bigger. I was reading an article a few weeks ago that claimed the carbon footprint from crypto servers is currently larger than the airline and shipping industry combined and will grow to more than 30% of the worlds carbon footprint by 2045, with current trends. I can't find the article right now, it's doesn't seem to be in my cache, but even while taking their figures with a grain of salt the impact of the crypto market is quite massive.

There's a big historical based argument that governments are quite protective of their currency, and I agree with baroque that they will do anything to maintain that space for themselves.

But the energy usage stuff is always wild to read, as I've heard places finding spyware or whatever to mine using their resources :lol: think my college found some kid put something on there. Insane

Democrats have it so easy considering how shit their opposition party is yet they still make optics gaffes like this.

i finally listened to the audio for this video and
O-M-Fucking-God
it sounds like Nancy Pelosi got high before stepping up to the microphone

US investigates second suspected case of mystery 'syndrome' near White House
For five years now, investigators have struggled to explain the strange experiences reported by US diplomats and other government workers in Cuba, Russia, China and elsewhere -- episodes that in some cases have led to chronic headaches and brain injuries. Victims have reported experiencing sudden vertigo, headaches and head pressure, sometimes accompanying by a "piercing directional noise." Some reported being able to escape the symptoms simply by moving to another room -- and step back into them by returning to their original position.
Some officials tracking Havana Syndrome suggest that, if a foreign adversary is using some kind of directed energy weapon, the intent may not be to harass or maim US personnel, but rather to collect information from their cell phones.
Funky.