The next HUGE band in hard rock...

Knock it all you want, but metal for the masses, well, brings the masses to metal. Once they get tired of the simplistic stuff they move on to better, more underground things. How many of us honestly got into metal through the underground, as opposed to mainstream acts? Most of us were introduced to metal through mainstream acts. And then our hunger for more metal(because there's never enough) had us looking somewhere besides MTV.

Yes, but their potty mouths during concerts should be washed out.....you don't impress me with dropping f-bombs every 2 seconds in between tunes. Takes away from the talent that they could be promoting instead....IMHO.

Scott, my thoughts exactly. We already have Steel Panther, so these guys look to me like Steel Panther lite.

But the f-bombs make them EXTREME!!! AND they're confronting religion at the same time!!! That's fucking metal dude!!!

...right? That's the definition of metal...right?

...fuck yeah?

:lol:...yeah that's metal. Yeah, it's cool to knock on the Catholic religion, but if you knock on any other religion, then that's wrong. What a joke!

~Brian~

Knock it all you want, but metal for the masses, well, brings the masses to metal. Once they get tired of the simplistic stuff they move on to better, more underground things.
I'd prefer they didn't. I, for one, don't lament the lack of mainstream love for Metal. With few exceptions, success begets bad music.

How many of us honestly got into metal through the underground, as opposed to mainstream acts? Most of us were introduced to metal through mainstream acts. And then our hunger for more metal(because there's never enough) had us looking somewhere besides MTV.
You're assuming the model has remained the same from past generations to the present one. I'm not sure that's a safe assumption. The industry itself has consolidated. Whereas once there were dozens of major labels, there's now remains just a few corporate behemoths. It's a similar story with radio, concert halls and ticket outlets. The other aspect that's changed, is how kids view music, within the much wider spectrum of entertainment. We didn't have the internet, satellite TV and a PS3/XBOX that was wirelessly connected to the whole planet to distract us as our passion for music formed. It's a different world.

Zod

That is great you hung out with them but I hate when people use the term "they know their metal".....anyone with an internet connection can "know their metal". If that is the case and they LOVE metal....why are they playing such a generic commercial version of it? What are they doing to help spread the word about bands "that they know about"? There is as much potential in this band as in any metalcore / slaeazy hard rock band out there....all it takes is money to back them and push them down the throat of metal fans and hope it sticks. Sorry, I dont buy into this stuff at all. I am sure we will see tons of thier disc at Best Buy's across the country and On the Sounds of the Underground tour this summer. Many tours with other bands that are being pushed by labels who really dont deserve the attention and in the end...they will be one of the many nameless bands who will have 80% of thier CD's filling up the used CD section of records stores while the next "new" band that knows thier metal are the new talk of the town.

I understand exactly what you mean, and completely agree. But this band is different, I swear to you. These are ACTUAL TALENTED MUSICIANS with a passion for rock and roll. Just because someone loves metal, doesn't mean they can't play in a hard rock band. To be honest, I get bored of metal sometimes and would much rather play some fun, upbeat hard rock. Which is exactly what these guys are doing. They used to be much heavier, and almost had a power-esque feel to them. I've watched grow and mold their sound into what it is and I LOVE it! And if you wanna hear what they sounded like early on, message me with your e-mail and I'll send you some of their metal stuff.

And if they played just metal, they wouldn't get big. They wouldn't draw mainstream attention to metal. If you're seriously gonna be all anti-fun and just listen to serious, boring metal all the time, then I feel sorry for you. Sometimes you just gotta lighten up and sing along to some simple, yet kinda heavy, catchy rock and fucking roll.

And no, they are not a "hard rock Dragonforce" I see what you mean, but they are sooo much better than that.

Oh, one more thing... For all of you who don't want to bring metal to mainstream attention: Quit being a selfish prick! I play in a metal band, and I would LOVE for more people to hear us. A fan is a fan to a musician. We don't discriminate, just because you didn't discover us in the very beginning, or you only know the songs they play on the radio (metaphorically speaking). Whenever I have new fans come up to me after shows, I love it! I don't care if they're wearing a Slipknot shirt. If they take the time to listen to the music and become a fan, there is no reason they should be discriminated against by "true metal fans" Just quit being a selfish child and learn to share already.

Pearl Jam, Creed, 3 Doors Down, and Nickleback seem to do pretty good jobs. They're rock bands...like em' or hate em'.

~Brian~

Hmm.

Nickelback toured with Hinder and Papa Roach. I'm sure those bands sell some tickets too.

Pearl Jam is old school enough. I was meaning newer bands.

I don't know about 3 Doors Down. Creed also came from when rock bands were selling out arenas.

These days the top rock bands seem to need at least 2 other bands that have gold or platinum albums to be with them to fill up an arena.

Hmm.

Nickelback toured with Hinder and Papa Roach. I'm sure those bands sell some tickets too.

Pearl Jam is old school enough. I was meaning newer bands.

I don't know about 3 Doors Down. Creed also came from when rock bands were selling out arenas.

These days the top rock bands seem to need at least 2 other bands that have gold or platinum albums to be with them to fill up an arena.

With the exception of Pearl Jam, the others are current enough to be considered modern by all means. I don't know for sure, but I'm 99.9% sure that Nickleback can sell out an arena by their own merit. Actually, it would surprise me if they couldn't.

~Brian~

Oh, one more thing... For all of you who don't want to bring metal to mainstream attention: Quit being a selfish prick!
How about making an attempt to keep the discussion mature and civil?

I play in a metal band, and I would LOVE for more people to hear us.
So... because you want more people to hear your band, the genre should suffer? I'm sorry... which one of us is being selfish?

Zod

Yes, but their potty mouths during concerts should be washed out.....you don't impress me with dropping f-bombs every 2 seconds in between tunes. Takes away from the talent that they could be promoting instead....IMHO.

THIS! I was at the same DragonForce show as Scott was.

To be honest, they do play a sincere and honest take on sleeze rock, ala early Crue and GnR. They do it quite well.

The set was ruined for me, since the singer could literally not get through a sentence without cursing.

Nickleback can fill arenas just fine on their own:

The State- 1x Platinum
Silver Side Up- 6x Platinum
The Long Road- 3x Platinum
All the Right Reasons- 8x Platinum
Dark Horse- 2x Platinum (still on the charts)

I believe that Shinedown will be the next arena band. The success of their latest disc combined with the direct support slot on the Nickleback tour will elevate them.

How about making an attempt to keep the discussion mature and civil?

So... because you want more people to hear your band, the genre should suffer? I'm sorry... which one of us is being selfish?

Zod

Im pretty sure Im not the only musician that wants more fans. I have a passion for playing the music that I love and want to make a living out of it. I don't want to get super famous and sell millions of albums (although that would be nice, but not going to happen) I just want to make a living. I don't want another job. In order to do that, more people need to hear the music. I don't think thats as selfish as keeping other people's music to yourself.

And as for the "potty mouth" thing... Seriously? Seriously??? On-stage obscenities have been apart of rock and roll since day one. Look at Chuck Berry, Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler, TED NUGENT, and even Paul Stanley gets pretty crude on stage. Are you really going to let some four-letter words keep you away from whats really important? The music? Concerts aren't for young kids. They're for people who want to lighten up and have a good time, while enjoying some kickass music. If you want to see a family-friendly show, try Hannah Montana or the Jonas Brothers. I don't mean to be a dick, but this is rock and roll.

Sorry bro. You are WAY too late to try to make a serious living off of playing metal.
Way too many bands. Almost impossible to bring something new enough to the table to break big. It's a fact. Even if every Century Media and Nuc Blast band went full on MTV mainstream, it still would not guarantee that every underground band would make it.

You seriously want to know how to make $$$$ playing music?
Start a cover band.
Think I am kidding?
You will make a TON more money than playing metal.

Sorry bro. You are WAY too late to try to make a serious living off of playing metal.
Way too many bands. Almost impossible to bring something new enough to the table to break big. It's a fact. Even if every Century Media and Nuc Blast band went full on MTV mainstream, it still would not guarantee that every underground band would make it.

You seriously want to know how to make $$$$ playing music?
Start a cover band.
Think I am kidding?
You will make a TON more money than playing metal.

Way to have faith man!

The way I see it.... Iron Maiden has probably close to a billion fans. If even 1/200 of them heard our music (once we get our sound fine-tuned) they could potentially become a fan. Its possible, you just gotta get the right attention.

It kind of depends where you are. I'd say the last band to really break into the scene is probably Muse. They've been huge outside of the US and come Feb/Mar will be doing their first big arena headline tour with only 1 main opening band. Playing MSG in NYC. Even Lady GaGa is only playing Radio City Music Hall although I'm sure she'd sell just fine at MSG considering how fast all 4 of those dates sold out.

And as for the "potty mouth" thing... Seriously? Seriously??? On-stage obscenities have been apart of rock and roll since day one. Look at Chuck Berry, Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler, TED NUGENT, and even Paul Stanley gets pretty crude on stage.

I don't think we're looking for family friendly here at the ProgPower Forum. :lol: I believe both Scott and Jason are referring to the "overuse" of profanity to the extent that it just becomes silly and distracting. With that said, do yourself a favor and don't try to preach what's rock n roll and what isn't to us. I believe we're all pretty well rounded in the subject. If you continue to do so, then you'll probably have problems trying to sell this band to us, considering you probably have some sort of connection to them.

~Brian~

Way to have faith man!

The way I see it.... Iron Maiden has probably close to a billion fans. If even 1/200 of them heard our music (once we get our sound fine-tuned) they could potentially become a fan. Its possible, you just gotta get the right attention.

Good to have faith, indeed.
Though, I have to be honest.
I have been in bands myself over the years, and know many bands personally as well.
What I have seen over the years is a LOT of bands simply getting lazy, primarily due to the internet.

Long gone are the days where bands would spend literally 2 to 3 days straight all day and night on a weekend flyering all over town for upcoming shows. Now, bands simply post on forums, My Space, and Facebook. Sure, that reaches a lot, but what about the people who arent on YOUR band's boards?

Also, long gone are the days of the demo tape. Many here probably are too young to remember the days of the true demo. In the 80s, and even early 90's you couldn't go to an underground show without someone handing you a demo tape, with the band's information.

Now, bands are like, "Well, we have a My Space, doesn't EVERYONE know who we are"????

Look, I have no idea how you guys operate as a band, so I am not pointing fingers at you. I am just calling it as I see it, as I hear SO many bands saying, "Oh, man, no one came to our show". I can tell you that if I went to any local CD, bar, coffee shop, bookstore, etc, etc where music fans hang out, chances are I would not have seen any advertising for the show.

Once again, you can not benchmark yourself to Maiden. Probably 60% (if not more) of Maiden's fanbase are not in tune with metal's underground.

While I love the internet and forums... I think the downside is that it has made underground metal appear to be a LOT bigger than it really is. There are only a few hundred people who post on THIS here forum. Yet, still people make comments like, "Well, everyone here is SO excited about this tour, of course it will sell out"!!!!!

Best of luck to you guys. Gonna take some VERY hard work to get the name out to the mainstream audience.

I don't think we're looking for family friendly here at the ProgPower Forum. :lol: I believe both Scott and Jason are referring to the "overuse" of profanity to the extent that it just becomes silly and distracting. With that said, do yourself a favor and don't try to preach what's rock n roll and what isn't to us. I believe we're all pretty well rounded in the subject. If you continue to do so, then you'll probably have problems trying to sell this band to us, considering you probably have some sort of connection to them.

~Brian~

Exactly. One or two f-bombs would have been fine, but these guys were seriously only appealing to the 15 year olds in the crowd who were excited that someone was swearing to them. It REALLY made it hard for me to take em serious. It's a shame, as I said, since I think they had a good thing going. Not my cup of tea, but I liked them a lot more than the Buckcherry's, Papa Roach's, etc, of the world.

Oh, one more thing... For all of you who don't want to bring metal to mainstream attention: Quit being a selfish prick! I play in a metal band, and I would LOVE for more people to hear us. A fan is a fan to a musician. We don't discriminate, just because you didn't discover us in the very beginning, or you only know the songs they play on the radio (metaphorically speaking). Whenever I have new fans come up to me after shows, I love it! I don't care if they're wearing a Slipknot shirt. If they take the time to listen to the music and become a fan, there is no reason they should be discriminated against by "true metal fans" Just quit being a selfish child and learn to share already.

Well this is really going to draw the people out to your show. :Smug:

As far as Taking Dawn goes, just because the guys have some serious talent doesn't mean people are going to like them or support them. I for one, even noticing their talent, don't care for the band. I respect the fact that they are a working group doing what they do with the talent they possess. As far as their band goes, that's not my style. Does that mean I need to lighten up and learn to appreciate a hard rock band? No I don't believe so. Does it make me selfish that I don't like hard rock? Definitely not.

I like what I like, and everyone else on this forum likes what they like. That's the beauty of it. Just because someone doesn't prefer a decent hard rock band over a metal band doesn't mean they need to lighten up and learn to party out. I prefer more underground metal cause its closer to the heart and not teased or altered by the profitable aspects and grand scheme of things. Granted I may like more popular musicians/bands such as Devin Townsend, Mastodon, and Arch Enemy, but that's what I like. I won't sit here and tell anyone that says they don't like one of those I listed that they are selfish and need to lighten up. Not at all.

I prefer an amount of modesty and class to the musicians I support, and appreciate those that know they're good enough to succeed without being cocky. To me that shows that the musicians appreciate the road it took to get to that point. Supporting the bands has ever so much to do with the musicians that form those bands, so keep that in mind when you go on these rants cause you'll be losing possible interest based on your character and mannerisms. I've seen people on this same forum say they won't support someone's music because of what they've said or done. Not that I agree, but it is just a suggestion to you as a young musician wanting to get your name out there. You're bound to run into a different opinion, friendly or not, so get use to it. ;)