The next HUGE band in hard rock...

what is the name of your band..........Wild Stallion's?

His band is in his signature, Eternal Hour. They are one of the better local acts and a good power metal band in the Atlanta area. The band itself is worth checking out, even if T.M.M. is a bit off in his choice of words. :)

At least more worth checking out than I find Taking Dawn I suppose.

I think you missed the joke.....

wyld-stallyns.jpg

Sorry bro. You are WAY too late to try to make a serious living off of playing metal.

I disagree. I think you can make $20k a year net profit playing metal if you and your band are committed to it. That is enough to get by if you have very few other responsibilities.

You can still do so and make more if you are willing to also do some side cover band work.

And there are 'young' bands making a living on it. Will the living be lasting? Probably not. Its rare that can play in one band and make a living on it for his whole life.

However, I don't think that his band will provide this opportunity, based on the chosen style of metal, and while what I heard was pretty good it doesn't stand out enough from the crowd.

really? at best they will be that band on every tour as the opening act. Nothing about this stands out. Sounds of the Underground or opening for larger acts will be thier career.

yeah i liked them better when they were called FIGHT PARIS and had a little more southern swagger to them being from the ATL and all!

oh yeah and for CURRENT bands like this, ENDEVERAFTER is still better as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DsesU-MBZU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DsesU-MBZU[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree. I think you can make $20k a year net profit playing metal if you and your band are committed to it. That is enough to get by if you have very few other responsibilities.

You would have to spend 11 months on the road selling a lot of merchandise.

This would mean not being employed by a full time employer.

Add in the cost of health care.

A band sharing net $20K would be poverty stricken.

Do you know anyone surviving on $20K who pays their own health insurance?

I meant $20k per member of the band. Health insurance, no. Life's a bitch if you want to be an artist. How many painters do you know with their own health insurance?

And as for the "potty mouth" thing... Seriously? Seriously??? On-stage obscenities have been apart of rock and roll since day one. Look at Chuck Berry, Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler, TED NUGENT, and even Paul Stanley gets pretty crude on stage. Are you really going to let some four-letter words keep you away from whats really important? The music? Concerts aren't for young kids. They're for people who want to lighten up and have a good time, while enjoying some kickass music. If you want to see a family-friendly show, try Hannah Montana or the Jonas Brothers. I don't mean to be a dick, but this is rock and roll.

Seriously. Actually, I like what Taking Dawn is about....it's rebellion, it's loud, it's angry, it's fun, etc, etc. All I'm saying is that you get a lot more respect (from me) if you don't interject swearing between every song.

And, this particular show was an all-ages show....i.e. young kids can attend. Since I saw a lot of parents bringing their Guitar Hero playing kids to the show, it just makes me wince when the young ears get pelted with that stuff. Then, the parents might think twice about taking their kids to a rock show or potentially letting them go to a rock show when they reach their teen years. Why jeopardize those potential fans when you don't have to? You're climbing the ladder....what makes you think that swearing all the time is going make that climb any better? I just don't get it.

I remember when I was 12 and got Nugent's "Double Live Gonzo" and had to turn it down whenever "Wang Dang..." was coming on with his filthy intro so I wouldn't get in trouble. Did I think it was cool back then? Absolutely. But I'm just as embarrassed now when he's playing down the road at the all-ages town festival for families and cussing up a storm. I s'pose one could say Ted's earned it. I don't think Taking Dawn has yet....IMHO. As for Paul Stanley, I think I read somewhere that Kiss asked Buckcherry to not swear on stage during their last tour together due to the fact that there would be many young kids in the audience. And you know what....Buckcherry still rocked.

However, I did like when Taking Dawn played a cover of Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" for all the old farts (like me). That was cool.

Seriously. Actually, I like what Taking Dawn is about....it's rebellion, it's loud, it's angry, it's fun, etc, etc. All I'm saying is that you get a lot more respect (from me) if you don't interject swearing between every song.

And, this particular show was an all-ages show....i.e. young kids can attend. Since I saw a lot of parents bringing their Guitar Hero playing kids to the show, it just makes me wince when the young ears get pelted with that stuff. Then, the parents might think twice about taking their kids to a rock show or potentially letting them go to a rock show when they reach their teen years. Why jeopardize those potential fans when you don't have to? You're climbing the ladder....what makes you think that swearing all the time is going make that climb any better? I just don't get it.

I remember when I was 12 and got Nugent's "Double Live Gonzo" and had to turn it down whenever "Wang Dang..." was coming on with his filthy intro so I wouldn't get in trouble. Did I think it was cool back then? Absolutely. But I'm just as embarrassed now when he's playing down the road at the all-ages town festival for families and cussing up a storm. I s'pose one could say Ted's earned it. I don't think Taking Dawn has yet....IMHO. As for Paul Stanley, I think I read somewhere that Kiss asked Buckcherry to not swear on stage during their last tour together due to the fact that there would be many young kids in the audience. And you know what....Buckcherry still rocked.

However, I did like when Taking Dawn played a cover of Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" for all the old farts (like me). That was cool.

Now that I can completely respect. Thats just not what I was getting from you preivious post lol
Look, I don't care if you don't like the band. Thats fine and dandy, as everyone has their tastes. Just don't talk complete shit about them just because they have a mainstream sound. They are talented musicians playing music that I happen to love. I get offended when people talk down about the music I like. And I get that a lot, because I am a huge glam metal fan. The cheesier, the better IMO. I just figured some people would appreciate these guys cause they have that 80s hard rock sound, but they don't exactly sound like a throwback band ya know? I guess I was wrong then.

And my life is dedicated to music. I don't know if Eternal Hour is going to make me money. I don't even know whats going to happen to the band when our drummer and rhythm guitarist graduate and go to college. All I know is that I will find a way to live off music. And I will do whatever it takes to do so. I have demos and info cards that I take everywhere I go with me. I do as much promotion as I possibly can. I plan on getting a large group of people to all wear Eternal Hour t-shirts to the BTBAM/Cynic/Devy/SCS show next week. Not to brag, but we've been called Atlanta's best new band. We've been called the future of Atlanta progressive metal. We constantly get great show reviews. Our fan base is constantly growing. Our sound is constantly maturing. We get an average of 50+ people to most of our shows. We barely sound like what you hear on our myspace anymore. We're not even really "power metal" We actually prefer not to be labeled. We don't let labels define us. We've got a groovy thrashy song, a 12 minute thrash epic, a power metal song, a progish metal song, a technical/heavy/groovy just plain metal song. And we just finished another progish song with hints of 70's rock and roll. Yet, somehow, our overall sound remains consistent. We refuse to play anything that will label us anything but just plain metal. We have traditional influence. We have modern influence. We have influence from all over the board. I think we have something to offer everyone. We just gotta fine tune everything, get our singer up to speed, and hit record. I have faith in us, and Im willing to push the limits to do whatever it takes to get our music in as many ears as possible. Just not yet. We don't want potential fans to hear our demo and just think we're another power metal band. We're waiting for the right moment. Waiting until we get a product that accurately shows what we are actually about.

But the most important thing... Is that I have faith in us. I believe we can make it. I'd love to play in a cover band as well, but there aren't that many dedicated musicians around here. And there are absolutely no singers that don't sound like a retarded gorilla.

And I know that most of Maiden's fanbase is out of touch with the underground metal scene... But can you imagine if they all somehow discovered it? Do you have any idea how big this music would get??? THAT is the audience I want to target our music towards. The audience that has no idea that the underground melodic metal scene even exists. The people that watch That Metal Show weekly. The people that go to see Priest every time they're in town, but have never heard of Pagan's Mind. There is a market. It may be hard to reach, but Im going to reach it.

Just don't talk complete shit about them just because they have a mainstream sound.
Why not? If I'm of the opinion that the sound of the "mainstream" is uninteresting, unoriginal and mostly talentless, why shouldn't I say as much? This is a forum for discussing music. It would be a pretty dull place if everyone kept their opinions to themselves.

Being a mainstream act doesn't necessarily mean your music has no merit. Some bands become mainstream simply because they attract a wide audience; Dave Matthews, Pearl Jam, Muse, etc. However, if you sound like a mainstream act, by definition it means you're not very original. If you sound like a mainstream act, it probably means your music is devoid of any truly compelling musical elements. Let's be fair, things generally become mainstream because they appeal to the lowest common denominator.

They are talented musicians playing music that I happen to love.
When you speak about talent, you need to consider that it's largely subjective. So when you say they're talented musicians, compared to who? Clearly they're more talented than someone who doesn't play music. However, are they talented when compared to the bands regularly discussed on this forum (Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind, Redemption, etc.)? No.... not in my opinion.

I get offended when people talk down about the music I like.
Why? I've never understood this mindset and I likely never will.

I love a lot of bands that people choose to take shots at; Manowar, Disturbed, Lamb of God. However, I could care less if others don't find them as enjoyable as I do. The opinions of people, sitting at their keyboards, who I'll likely never meet, have no impact on my life or on my opinions of the music I choose to listen to. That anyone cares what some stranger thinks about their music choices is completely baffling to me.

Zod

Why not? If I'm of the opinion that the sound of the "mainstream" is uninteresting, unoriginal and mostly talentless, why shouldn't I say as much? This is a forum for discussing music. It would be a pretty dull place if everyone kept their opinions to themselves.

Being a mainstream act doesn't necessarily mean your music has no merit. Some bands become mainstream simply because they attract a wide audience; Dave Matthews, Pearl Jam, Muse, etc. However, if you sound like a mainstream act, by definition it means you're not very original. If you sound like a mainstream act, it probably means your music is devoid of any truly compelling musical elements.

When you speak about talent, you need to consider that it's largely subjective. So when you say they're talented musicians, compared to who? Clearly they're more talented than someone who doesn't play music. However, are they talented when compared to the bands regularly discussed on this forum (Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind, Redemption, etc.)? No.... not in my opinion.

Why? I've never understood this mindset and I likely never will.

I love a lot of bands that people choose to take shots at; Manowar, Disturbed, Lamb of God. However, I could care less. The opinions of people, sitting at their keyboards, who I'll likely never meet, have no impact on my life or on my opinions of the music I choose to listen to. That anyone cares what some stranger thinks about their music choices is completely baffling to me.

Zod

When I say talented, I mean they are better musicians than pretty much anything else you would hear on daytime radio. And they'll be bringing tasteful guitar solos back to the radio.

They could have at least TRIED to write a song here. You can dress something up as a band or as music but at the end of the day, regardless of genre, it either rules or it sucks. This just plain sucks.

They could have at least TRIED to write a song here. You can dress something up as a band or as music but at the end of the day, regardless of genre, it either rules or it sucks. This just plain sucks.

Do you mind supporting this with some reasoning? I honestly don't see anything that sucks about it, so I would like to know why everyone hates it.

A number of things. This band does have the sound that some others have, i.e. A7X, Hinder, etc. that could mean mainstream success. They may not too. In this day and age in the music industry it is REALLY HARD to tell who is gonna make it and who isn't. From the sample, they sound good but nothing earth shattering but then again, those usually are the ones that make it. meh.

I agree with Jasonic and whoever else posted about the cursing nonstop in concert. Yes, it's been like that for years in rock music, BUT... it doesn't have to be every other word. That really pisses me off. I find this is what most of the metalcore and the like do and it really detracts from the music and makes the band look like a bunch of douches.