The next step?

Evil?

omghaxlol!1
Jun 25, 2005
Grand Haven, MI
I was having a discussion today on music and how it has progressed and changed an how each decade for the last 50 years has seemed to have at least one large musical revolution or change...exept for the current one. Nothing revolutionary has happened to music for a long time.

The 50's saw the rise of blues and the doo-wop motown groups, and rock n' roll was essentialy born around this time.

The 60's saw the growth of folk and politicly conscience lyrics along with the Psychedelic stuff.

The 70's were when "metal" really got it's roots established and the decade also saw more long winded songs and great musicianship. This last musical change was rebelled against in the late 70's with the super aggresive and abrasive punk scene. Disco was also created and became huge. Thats three biggies in one decade.

The 80' had both the mainstream musical revolution with the introduction of new wave and the poularity glam and the more underground developement of many of our beloved metal stylings(ie. thrash).

The 90's had the massive upsurge of grunge and alternative and the mainstreaming of hip-hop. hell, even nu-metal started in the later 1990's.

Now, not much musical progress has been made in the last 5 years and so far I don't see much on the horizon for the next 5 either. This decade is going to be hard to talk about on VH1 in the next 20 years because there isn't going to be much to talk about. The only things that i have really noticed is the large semi-underground return of hardcore, to a certain extent. It seems to be the big new trend with kids these days, and the rising popularity of country...not sure were this came from...other than that, not much is going on.

My question to you is, what, in your opininion is going to be the next big step or change in music, and when do you think it'll happen? Not just in metal but in music in general. It seems like not much more can be done that would really make as big of an impact as the changes made in previous decades had.

Majesty i know what your sayin. the post would have been way to long if i got into everything. I was trying to talk about the changes in a more general sense. Thats kinda why I included...

"and the more underground developement of many of our beloved metal stylings(ie. thrash)."

Since I couldn't tell you the diff between nu-metal, metalcore, mallcore or anything else that came out recently I probably shouldn't even be in this thread...but......... Isn't a trend of new millenium the "classic metal music" with the completely unintelligable vocals??? or was that a 90's thing as well.

Isn't a trend now to have a metal band with some operatic chick vocalist mixing with death vox? I have no idea just bored at work and can't handle looking at the news anymore :ill:

I think the environment is moving towards including more of a "world" sound/influence in popular (and "unpopular") music. Sure, it's always been there, but I suspect is will be huge soon.

I also think rap/hip hop has to crash soon. Every genre that's exploited beyind belief dies. Hair metal did. Rap will too.

At the end of the day, however, one must ask themselves this question:
- how much farther can music go? Sure, in theory, the possibilities are endless, but is that reality?

SoundMaster said:
I also think rap/hip hop has to crash soon. Every genre that's exploited beyind belief dies. Hair metal did. Rap will too.

That is something I have been waiting for and it will happen!!! I cant wait cause I am so sick of WIGGERS nothing like Posers that are so obvious its sickening

Postmodernistical nu-classic disco beebop

I think it's going more torwards prog type music as far as new rock music. Bands like SOAD and Mars Volta getting commercial success. The younger bands are learning to play thier instruments again. If we could do something about the vocals I think it may be alright. Generally I think it's gettin better myself, but the great music will always be underground. Rap is slowing down for sure, but it has been on a good run for 20 years now. I don't think any other genre of music can say that. Of coarse I'm generalizing, I'm sure Rap is split into sub-genres as bad as rock/metal is. Next up Prog-Rap. That's my prediction! :D Can you rap in 15/8 time measures?

Evil? said:
Now, not much musical progress has been made in the last 5 years and so far I don't see much on the horizon for the next 5 either. This decade is going to be hard to talk about on VH1 in the next 20 years because there isn't going to be much to talk about. The only things that i have really noticed is the large semi-underground return of hardcore, to a certain extent. It seems to be the big new trend with kids these days, and the rising popularity of country...not sure were this came from...other than that, not much is going on.

I think you are forgetting a certain genre that has been on the rise since 2000. Prog-Metal! It did exist before, but it has been growing bigger since 2000.

Bands like Symphony x, ARK, Sun Caged, Zero Hour, Andromeda, AtmOsFear, Vision Divine, Lalu, Spheric Universe Experience, Mechanical Poet, Redemption and Cea Serin are adding elements to metal it did not have before. And I am mentioning only a few of the Prog-Metal bands that have been active the last 5 years!

Also there has been a remarkable fusion between metal and jazz. Think of Chris Polands fantastic band OHM or the Jazz album that Alex Scollnick recorded with his Scoll Patrol, Sean's Malone's Gordian Knot or Derek Sherinian's albums were John Sykes, Al Di Meola, and Malmsteen are collaborating.

Then as an offshoot of the fusion scene there have been a few wacky guitar oriented albums by amongst others; Ron Jarzombek's Spastic Inc and Freak Kitchens Mattias IA Eklundh.

All of these artists are branching out and infusing the scene with new
ideas, directions and sounds. So I believe that since 2000 a whole lot of things have been going on. And some of it is influencing our metal scene.

O and that VH1 thingie; thats largely irrelevant in the world of serious and dedicated musicians. :p

kittybeast said:
you forgot to throw in some surf-punk rockabilly :tickled:

That ain't new, have you heard The Cramps? Close enough IMO :dopey:

Hawk said:
Also there has been a remarkable fusion between metal and jazz.

The first time I heard MASTADON my thought was... wow some classicly trained jazz musicians doing metal.....which I liked very, very much. :loco:
p.s. keep in mind I am not a musician, just an appreciator and supporter

Gordian Knot is great. And Skolnick instrumental jazz versions album is also very cool.

and ofcourse you cannot for get about Post-Blackmetal stuff The last Vintersorg album sounded like a Cross of Pink Floyed and Black Metal and then theres Borknagar their last 3 or 4 albums have been Brilliant and completely different and Innovative Dont discount whats happening now open your ears and explore what is actually out there you might be surprised at what you find

JonnyD said:
and ofcourse you cannot for get about Post-Blackmetal stuff...theres Borknagar their last 3 or 4 albums have been Brilliant and completely different and Innovative

Oystein rules. Bork is a fabulous band.
Of all the post-black bands, they, along with Arcturus, are heads and shoulders above all others.

Another great genre is "heavy melancholy", typified by the great bands Anathema, Katatonia, the Gathering, In the Woods, Tiamat, My Dying Bride, etc.

I've noticed a healthy underground "rock" scene.... bands like the Hellacopters, Jet, The Datsuns, The Paybacks, Gluecifer, Backyard Babies and so on. I was hoping that when the Darkness kinda broke here in the USA that Rock N Roll would come back into style but sadly it has not happened yet. I would love to see a Rock explosion spearheaded by say the Wildhearts or the Backyard Babies happen here in the States. I keep holding my breath but I guess it will never happen in the age of rap. For the life of me I can not understand why an album like the Wildhearts "Must Be Destroyed" that came out last year did not sell millions of copies!!!

Greeno said:
I've noticed a healthy underground "rock" scene.... bands like the Hellacopters, Jet, The Datsuns, The Paybacks, Gluecifer, Backyard Babies and so on. I was hoping that when the Darkness kinda broke here in the USA that Rock N Roll would come back into style but sadly it has not happened yet. I would love to see a Rock explosion spearheaded by say the Wildhearts or the Backyard Babies happen here in the States. I keep holding my breath but I guess it will never happen in the age of rap. For the life of me I can not understand why an album like the Wildhearts "Must Be Destroyed" that came out last year did not sell millions of copies!!!

Over here Hellacopters and Backyard Babies can hardly e called "underground",their music is easily accesible and their played on mtv and shit

Isn't completely electronic techno the thing of the new age? I have no idea what's actually comming out on the mainstream charts these days so I could be completely wrong but that's what I thought.

JonnyD said:
then theres Borknagar their last 3 or 4 albums have been Brilliant and completely different and Innovative
An awesome band indeed! :headbang: I believe they're calling it Avante-Guard Black Metal or something.