The next step?

kittybeast said:
Since I couldn't tell you the diff between nu-metal, metalcore, mallcore or anything else that came out recently I probably shouldn't even be in this thread...but......... Isn't a trend of new millenium the "classic metal music" with the completely unintelligable vocals??? or was that a 90's thing as well.

I get confused by labels. :Spin: o_O And classifications. I never got that whole phylum, order, etc. stuff in biology either. I'm just not wired that way. :) All my discs are in alphabetical order. Now that's something I can put my finger on.

kittybeast said:
Isn't a trend now to have a metal band with some operatic chick vocalist mixing with death vox?

Either the operatic chick or just another dude doing clean vox. I'm not a fan at all of death vox but there are a few bands out there right now that are combining death vox with more melodic music than the usual death stuff and mixing clean vox in more liberally. Into Eternity, Scar Symmetry, and Opeth come to mind off the top of my head.

And if that sounds like a decent description it's because I glommed it from someone else. If it doesn't then I definitely glommed it from someone else. ;)

Majesty said:
Over here Hellacopters and Backyard Babies can hardly e called "underground",their music is easily accesible and their played on mtv and shit

Over here it seems like everything metal is underground. And MTV *is* shit. :) If it wasn't for the 'net and forums I'd still be in the dark about anyone that is new. It's been a real renaissance.

I can see music going two ways in the future. One way will be in diversity which will leave old standards of top 40 lists and the like scratching their heads. With the information age as we know it, younger generations are being exposed to more musical styles than are currently represented on conventional radio. The other way will be a surge in popularity of electronic computer generated music that is inspired directly from video games.

Hey just my opinion! :)

Majesty said:
Over here Hellacopters and Backyard Babies can hardly e called "underground",their music is easily accesible and their played on mtv and shit

I wish it was that way here in the States. The Hellacopters have made a bit of a dent in the underground scene here but as for the Backyard Babies... they are completely unknown here. Maybe that's a good thing, if they were huge I'd probably get tired of hearing them.... I guess I'm never happy. :)

whatduffhuck said:
80's was the best year in music. Thrash was here

80's was the best but because NWOBHM :headbang: Not to mention that the best metal album ever is from 1980.

I consider this time to be the best. I was 21 years old in January 1980. And you can say I lived it. And still I like today's metal scene a lot better. Most of the best 80s acts are still touring, including Anthrax with Joey, so if you have the means you still can see them.

And at this time you can get albums and singles from NWOBHM and thrash bands that were hardly available then. So I think the situation has been improved a lot. Just my humble opinion :)

Wyvern what is the best metal album ever?

And yes Soundmaster! The 70s was a very strong period for hard rock and metal. I love the latter half of that decade. Those days I scooped up dozens of worthwhile bands!

What are you favorite bands from that era?

Hawk said:
Wyvern what is the best metal album ever?

I knew someone will ask :p

HAH.jpg

Hawk said:
And yes Soundmaster! The 70s was a very strong period for hard rock and metal. I love the latter half of that decade. Those days I scooped up dozens of worthwhile bands!

What are you favorite bands from that era?

I love almost everything I've heard from that decade. Although the number of albums released wasn't immense, it's all CLASSIC!:

Sabbath
Led Zep
Judas Priest (I Prefer their 70s classics over their 80s classics!)
Deep Purple (and that includes the Hughes/Coverdale albums, as well as the one Tommy Bolin masterpiece)
Rainbow (Dio era)
David Coverdale solo albums (Northwinds and Coverdale's Whitesnake)
Scorpions (Lovedrive and Taken by Force are perfect records, IMO)
AC/DC ( the Bon era kicks my ass)
Van Halen's 1978 debut (I dont think they've ever came close to it again)
U.F.O. (Doctor Doctor!)
Robin Trower (arguably not metal, but great blues-rock nonetheless_
70s Aersosmith (sure they SUCK now, but they were great back in the day)

and I've recently discoverd RUSH! Their 70s output is phenomenal. How could have missed out on them for all of these years!?!??!

JonnyD said:
Disagree! We are living the Best now!

I agree and disagree :loco: . A lot is WHAT YOU make out of it, meaning you live the best of times when you make it so.

The 70's gave us the spirit, the 80's the brain, the 90's the muscle, and now...well is up to us to keep it coming ;)

Wyvern said:
I agree and disagree :loco: . A lot is WHAT YOU make out of it, meaning you live the best of times when you make it so.

The 70's gave us the spirit, the 80's the brain, the 90's the muscle, and now...well is up to us to keep it coming ;)

Every Deacade has had their good points and bad points, I look back on the 70's and 80's and I know damn well it would have sucked I am talk more than just the music yaknow its the climate .. and I lived my teens in the 90's and you couldnt pay enough to relive that I like the Present it has its problems But I like it ppl are much more open minded about everything and being a Metal Head doesnt automaticlly mean you are a Satan Worshiper ..... Esentually I agree with you Ol Boy!