The "Norwegian" thread

Rivfadír;6911437 said:
Well Danish and Swedish people pronounce æ (or ä) like the e in "hey". Written, there is next to no real difference between bokmål Norwegian and Danish. Norwegians just pronounce their words a lot more like they're written, whereas we in Denmark lowing throwing silent letters and letters that sound like other letters but aren't all over the place. We also mumble a lot, and like to speak more with our throat and diaphragm, compared to the other Nordic languages' more tongue-oriented pronunciation. It's also quite a bit less musical than Norwegian and Swedish. They have a more sing-song approach where Danish is a lot more gruff.

Ah ok :) .

What I really like about Norwegian is the singing aspect, reminds me a lot of home :rolleyes: :p .

What do you mean by that? Was it a joke, or am I just completely not getting any sing-song vibe from Spanish or Portuguese (Sorry, I don't know which language is spoken in Costa Rica)

I suck at Icelandic. I can barely muster a "th" sound in English, much less in another language.
Apperently I can't either :lol:
It's different though when you're speaking something that isn't english. Like Irish is pretty easy to speak/understand.

Apperently I can't either :lol:
It's different though when you're speaking something that isn't english. Like Irish is pretty easy to speak/understand.

The problem gets to be that, since I know a decent amount of Norwegian, I run across Icelandic words that are quite similar to a Norwegian counterpart, but I'm supposed to put a "th" in there. Nothing good can come from that--I just wind up spitting all over.

The only time I can do "th"s really well is if I'm imitating some other English dialect. I have some sort of Upper Midwestern Norwegian/American mental block.

Well if you mean in Irish it's Éire, but if you mean in english then I don't notice myself saying Eerland when I mean to say Ireland. :lol:

Yeah but i meant how the Irish sound when saying Ireland in English.
By Eerland i meant the Swedish(and probably Norwegian) way of saying Ireland(Irland) in Swedish/Norwegian

Yeah but i meant how the Irish sound when saying Ireland in English.
By Eerland i meant the Swedish(and probably Norwegian) way of saying Ireland(Irland) in Swedish/Norwegian
Ah right, well I don't notice myself saying it. But apperently I didn't notice a lot of things I said, until those people from england pointed it out! :cry:

Rivfadír;6915482 said:
What do you mean by that? Was it a joke, or am I just completely not getting any sing-song vibe from Spanish or Portuguese (Sorry, I don't know which language is spoken in Costa Rica)

We speak Spanish here in CR :) .

Well, we CRns have a peculiar way of speaking, just as the rest of Latin-American countries. We all have our own "singing" to each region. For example, Colombians speak a lot different than how we CRns speak. The funny thing is that you never notice your own singing :p .

We CRns are know for the way we pronounce the "r," we do it in a very English (language) way (welcome to CR, the most Americanized/Europeanized country of Central-America).

astronaut mattsson said:
Well if the Norwegian and Swedish languages has a relation like that between Spanish and Portugese,you could say Danish is like a mix of the two,with a twist

Ahhhh that explains it all :lol:. Horrible language then.

j/k :p

I hate Portuguese anyway :puke: .

Burzum persists. A new Burzum album, titled "Umskiptar" (Metamorphoses), is scheduled for release in May 2012 on Byelobog Productions. "Umskiptar" consists of 65 minutes of skaldic metal, recorded in Grieghallen Studio in Bergen in September 2011.

"Umskiptar" track list:
Blóðstokkinn (Soaked in Blood) (1:16)
Jóln (Deities) (5:51)
Alfadanz (Elven Dance) (9:22)
Hit helga Tré (The sacred Tree) (6:51)
Æra (Honour) (3:58)
Heiðr (Esteem) (3:02)
Valgaldr (Song of the Fallen) (8:03)
Galgviðr (Gallow Forest) (7:16)
Surtr Sunnan (Black from the South) (4:14)
Gullaldr (Golden Age) (10:20)
Níðhöggr (Attack from Below) (5:00)
The lyrics on "Umskiptar" are all taken from a Norse poem, Völuspá. For an English translation of the lyrics see the book "Sorcery And Religion In Ancient Scandinavia". The original Norse lyrics for "Umskiptar" can be found here.