The "Norwegian" thread

Sigurd = From the Old Norse name Sigurðr, which was derived from the elements sigr "victory" and vörðr "guardian". Sigurd was the hero of the Norse legend the 'Volsungasaga', which tells how his foster-father Regin sent him to recover a hoard of gold guarded by the dragon Fafnir. After slaying the dragon Sigurd tasted some of its blood, enabling him to understand the language of birds. By listening to the birds Sigurd learned that Regin was planning to betray him.

edit: Do I win?

TOBIAS

Usage: Biblical, German, Scandinavian

Pronounced: to-BEE-ahs (German), to-BIE-as (English) [key]
Greek form of TOBIAH. Tobias is the hero of the apocryphal Book of Tobit in the Old Testament. It relates how Tobias is able to defeat a demon with the help of the archangel Raphael.

:erk:

Last Name:
http://www.houseofnames.com/fc.asp?sId=&s=Holst

Clan:
http://www.houseofnames.com/fc.asp?sId=&s=Forbes

crest_big.gif

Rivfadír;6889388 said:
TOBIAS

Usage: Biblical, German, Scandinavian

Pronounced: to-BEE-ahs (German), to-BIE-as (English) [key]
Greek form of TOBIAH. Tobias is the hero of the apocryphal Book of Tobit in the Old Testament. It relates how Tobias is able to defeat a demon with the help of the archangel Raphael.

Shame it was biblical but hey, you killed a demon! :kickass:

I'm sorry but I think it's pathetic that you think your name is cooler because it has Norse, Jewish, Christian or origin.

So names certainly sound cooler, but still.

Even though one may not like whence one comes from, one should always be proud of one's origin.

Ugh I wish I was Norwegian. Stupid Irish, German, English, and Welsh. I dun wanna have a Welsh last name. I wanna be Norwegian. :cry:

I'm half Norwegian-American; the other half is Irish, Italian, English, and Pennsylvania Dutch. (NOT German; my dad will blow a gasket if he hears us referred to as 'German'. Cultural thing.) Consequently, I have a Norwegian last name. (The name itself is also Spanish, Dutch, Scottish, German, and Swedish, but our family traces its roots back to Bergen.)

It's really not all that it's cracked up to be. It's 'Linde' - yet 99.9% of my fellow citizens pronounce it as 'Lind' - when it's really 'LindEE'. You pronounce that last 'e'. (And I know that it's pronounced differently in Norway; I've tried learning the true Norwegian pronunciation; it sounds like I'm swallowing my tongue.) It gets annoying the first 592857982 times someone mangles your surname.

And, on that note, I bring you.....'Linde'! (Which, BTW, means 'Linden'. As in the tree. Great name for a nature lover! :lol:)

"Origins Available: Dutch, German, Scottish, Swedish

Where did the Scottish Linde family come from? What is the Scottish coat of arms/family crest? When did the Linde family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the history of the family name?

Spelling variations of this family name include: Lind, Lynd, Lynde, Lynn, Line, Lines and others.

First found in Ayrshire where they were seated from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.

Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Peter Lin who arrived in Philadelphia Pa. in 1737; Dary Line settled in Virginia in 1653; Christopher Line settled in the Barbados in 1679; John Lines settled in Boston Mass. in 1823.

Motto Translated: Virtue always flourishes."

I'm proud of my German and Irish parts, but really now whats there to be proud of being Welsh? I honestly can't think of anything. You guys are so lucky, I'd give anything to be Norse.

Nothing wrong with Welsh, they have amazing history and a lot of their origins come from Scandinavia anyway. For the record a lot of my family are Welsh or at least from Wales and it's a Country I love a lot. So don't be bitching about Wales.

Matt Tuck from Bullet From My Valentine is from Wales, I have this strong feeling he's a part of my family but I need to double check. It'll be hilarious if he is.

lol what's the deal with being desperate about finding some traces of norse origin in your bloodline? as Lil' Red said, be proud of where you come from. I'm not saying you shouldn't be interested in norse stuff but no use wanting have grimm viking blüdz in you.

So you're saying...there could still be a trace of Norse in me?

Sorry.

I don't think it matters if you have Norse blood or not but there's still always a chance. Viking settlers from Dublin later came over to The Wirral (there's a lot of Viking history here, probably more than York) and considering we're so close to Wales I'm pretty sure a lot moved over to there, although I'll admit I don't know too much about that and it's just guesses.

Also the Welsh' national dish is cheese on toast, the best food in the world.

Det Som Engang Var said:
I'm proud of my German and Irish parts, but really now whats there to be proud of being Welsh? I honestly can't think of anything. You guys are so lucky, I'd give anything to be Norse.

I'm sorry but you're pathetic. I despise people who are not proud of their origins because they think they are not "cool." Every country has it's unique thing, some countries more than others, but you should be proud about your origins.

[quote-=Det Som Engang Var]So you're saying...there could still be a trace of Norse in me?[/quote]

No, deal with it.

IF you want to feel a bit Norse or anything, study Norwegian. That's what I do. We all want to be part of some other culture because we feel identified with it, with its way of being.

However, that does not mean that you should feel any less proud of your own culture/origin.

And why are you not proud of being Welsh? I believe it's a great country with an amazing culture and amazing names :).

I mean, "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch"?

TOTAL PWNAGE!!!

:headbang: :kickass: :headbang:

Be proud of yourself.