The "Norwegian" thread

GONE Ridin' Hood

Professor.
Jul 8, 2005
Well, I made this thread so that the Norwegians that post in the forum could help out the rest of the people who don't know the language at all :) :kickass: .

Obviously one can study by him/herself (as I try to do), so I would like the Norwegians here to give some kind of advice.

This as in what things you should say/not say, idioms (expressions), and well basically advice on how to speak the language correctly :) .

Takk!

Ha det!

:headbang:

i tried to learn a few years ago. but i have no one to converse with, and i lost it all really quick. so if i can find that cd-rom and start again, this thread could be great
~gR~

Amazon.com ? :p

You can buy a lot of stuf over the net you know? :rolleyes:

@ My Arms, Your Purse:

Shouldn't it be "jeg kan snakke norsk?"

Without the "r" right?

Hei!

Excellent thread! I learnt Norwegian for a year some years back. I still understand a lot when I read it, but speaking is the tricky part, especially because I have no-one to practice it with on a regular basis. I've forgotten so many words already. But I really like the language and would like to keep in touch.

å snakke = "to speak" (infinitive)

To say "I like to speak Norwegian", you use two different verb types.

Jeg liker å snakke Norsk.

The "å" modifies "snakke". "Snakke" cannot be used alone in a sentence--it always needs a helping verb, such as å, kan, må, or vil (to, can, must, and will).

The other type is the direct, active, present tense verb that stands alone.

Jeg snakker Norsk. (verb has no helper, so it can stand alone).

Jeg kan snakke Norsk (verb has a helper, so it drops to "snakke").

My Norwegian is all screwed up from doing genealogy stuff--I learned an approximate north-east Norwegian accent, but all of my relatives are from the west, and all of the old documents that I read are in the old Vossing dialect, so I'm all over the place.

^ So the added "r" converts the verb into a gerund?

No, as TravisW has already explained in more detail, "r" is the immutable present tense ending for most verbs (all persons, singular/plural) with the exception of the modal verbs kan/vil/skal/må. Isn't that handy? :)

jeg snakker
du snakker
han/hun snakker

vi snakker
dere snakker
de snakker

En øl, takk.

Yeah, I'm already saving up for a stay in Norway, although I'm sure it's going to ruin me financially. No wonder everywhere else seems paradise to Norwegians as far as alcoholic beverages are concerned.

Norway's cheap if you travel here the real way though, with a tent and a couple of sticks to kill animals with.

I wasn't talking about its transport and stuff, in fact its transport and hostels are cheaper than the UK. Well, minus in Oslo, Oslo is too expensive for me to stay at. The entire trip to Norway will only be costing me under £300 and we'll be staying almost a week. I took more than that to Wacken Open Air.

I'm saying alcohol is a bitch to buy.