The First Album

bassvikinggod

The Bass Viking God!
Mar 28, 2004
www.shroomery.org
I'm having trouble finding a source for this, but I swear that I have read it before.

I was given to understand that the first album is not Norwegian, but a more ancient form of the language, or something like that.

Is there any way I can find more information about this, and verify that the thought that the first album was in this more ancient form of the language is true?

Tusen takk for any help on the matter. :headbang:

I got the album, but I don`t know the language.... I don't know norwegian or danish, but doesn't seems like the normal norwegian words... maybe is the older danish.

for me is one of the best albums of the entire black metal history.

Of course, but I tend to agree with Kazaum. They're quite similar. One can also tell the difference between, for instance, two norwegian dialects, but still they're quite similar. As far as I know swedish people understand norwegians when they talk to each other in their languages, not perfectly, but they understand each other. Same goes to danish people.
And I don't say they are the same, just similar to each other. Anyway, these nordic languages are quite cool, I like them all :) Cheers!

Rivfadír;5558726 said:
Not true. It's very easy to hear the difference between the three Scandinavian languages.
Well if they can understand each other I think that's close enough.

like you all I don't have the lyrics but looking at the title I can assure you it's not archaic Danish, nor Norwegian dialect or whatsoever ancient language, for example the title "svartskogs gilde" is normal bokmaal "tanker mot tind" too, only "dauden" (bokmaal doeden) or "nord naagauk" are nynorsk, but all the same modern

that's kinda cool, you think you could translate the title names of the first album?

it's hard to read the text off the inlays, some strange font. good thing the titles are also printed on the cd in normal letters:

1: Vintervredets Sjelesagn
2: Tanker mot Tind (Kvelding)
3: Svartskogs Gilde
4: Ved Steingard
5: Krigsstev
6: Dauden
7: Grimskalle Trell
8: Nord Naagauk
9: Fandens Allheim
10: Tanker mot Tind (Gryning)

I'm having trouble finding a source for this, but I swear that I have read it before.

I was given to understand that the first album is not Norwegian, but a more ancient form of the language, or something like that.

Is there any way I can find more information about this, and verify that the thought that the first album was in this more ancient form of the language is true?

Tusen takk for any help on the matter. :headbang:

As someone else mentioned, you're probably thinking of Ulver there. I'm fairly certain Bergtatt was done in old Danish, not sure about the other two in the Trilogie.

Of course, it begs the question, why? Hehe.

Well yea Ulver did use Archaic Danish back then, I was always under the impression that Garm wrote the lyrics for Borknagar back then also and wrote in the same language.

Oystein has always written all (well.. most) lyrics for Borknagar. at least that's what the booklets in my cd's say :D

Garm certainly didnt write the S/T album lyrics.

I always liked how Borknagar is open to all the band members' lyrical inputs though! Asgeir, Simen, Garm, Oystein, Mr. V, Lazare, they've all written Bork lyrics!