The Ocean - Aeolian

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I was really interested in checking this band out a few days ago, but now I've heard the new one, I think I might steer clear. :ill:

The label says that they dropped all previous "orchestrations" and instead "went for the throat". Thing is, all the material was written at the same time as FluXion so it makes me wary about that album too.

Should I still give FluXion a try? The one thing I cannot stand (which is delivered in abundance on Aeolian) is the monotonous screaming. I was hoping FluXion would be a little more adventurous....

I can't quite nail down my tastes here -- I like Isis and Gojira, but I don't like Mastodon or The Ocean (thus far). Can that make sense?

I didn't like Mastodon too much, I hate Meshuggah, but love Isis and Neurosis.

The Ocean didn't do anything for me.

Fluxion is really good and adventurous. I won't really compare it to Isis at all. The vocals really remind me of November's Doom for some reason.

That said, I haven't heard the new one.

i thought The Ocean was some moody black metal bland, or am i think ...And Oceanography or something?

too many names i like in here to not say "hey! toss up a sample, yes?" so, hey! toss up a sample, yes?

I'd say you should probably skip FluXion. I think you'd like the Neurosis-style stuff w/ the cinematic orchestrations, but you'd have trouble with the same stuff that you don't like about Mastodon. I love this style, and Mastodon, and Meshuggah, but like I said, I found this to be good, not great. I reviewed it for Metalreview if you want the whole story.

By the way, OCEAN on the other hand, is a band that should be checked out. Buried at Sea type shit. Damn fine.

Eminor said:
I'd say you should probably skip FluXion. I think you'd like the Neurosis-style stuff w/ the cinematic orchestrations, but you'd have trouble with the same stuff that you don't like about Mastodon. I love this style, and Mastodon, and Meshuggah, but like I said, I found this to be good, not great. I reviewed it for Metalreview if you want the whole story.

Good enough for me. Thanks Eminor.

JayKeeley said:
The one thing I cannot stand (which is delivered in abundance on Aeolian) is the monotonous screaming.

This is the weirdest thing I've read in a while since they have like 9 different types of vocals on this album. So I'd say don't waste your time, stay clear of "FluXion".

On a serious note both albums are worlds apart in sound and impact, but you can still make out that they're from the same period of time and belonging to the same conceptual mould, which makes the band even more genious imo.

[EDIT] And even more seriously because I spoke to guitarist Roben about it: they're sort of frustrated that people keep falling into the trap of comparing them to Mastodon, Messhuggah or even Isis when none of these bands have had any influence on the way they write their music. He thinks (and I think) that people simply don't make the effort and grab the first "easy" reference at hand and that's it.

Ellestin said:
This is the weirdest thing I've read in a while since they have like 9 different types of vocals on this album.

So yeah, actually, it's 6 vocalists: (EDIT -- sorry, 7!).

-Meta
-Nico Webers
-Thomas Hallbom
-Nate Newton
-Sean Ingram
-Ecruement Kasalar
-Carsten Albrecht

What differences does each one bring? I mean, they're all harsh vocalists, no? Or did I miss the clean vox?

And it's not that I'm against harsh vox (obviously), but what I do distance myself from is that uni-pitch, zero-intonation scream. (aka hardcore blarghu).

Ellestin said:
[EDIT] And even more seriously because I spoke to guitarist Roben about it: they're sort of frustrated that people keep falling into the trap of comparing them to Mastodon, Messhuggah or even Isis when none of these bands have had any influence on the way they write their music. He thinks (and I think) that people simply don't make the effort and grab the first "easy" reference at hand and that's it.

While that might be true, it's because of bands like Isis that make n00bs like me want to check into the scene a little deeper.

JayKeeley said:
So yeah, actually, it's 6 vocalists:

You're right, I typed at random :tickled:
(oh 7 then...)

Just listen to "FluXion" if you get the chance, there are long orchestral stretches without vocals, and the metal parts are overall a lot groovier than on this skullmaiming riff orgy "Aeolian".

In fact I've always refered to "FluXion" as the "Mabool" of post-hardcore :loco:

Ellestin said:
Just listen to "FluXion" if you get the chance, there are long orchestral stretches without vocals, and the metal parts are overall a lot groovier than on this skullmaiming riff orgy "Aeolian".

In fact I've always refered to "FluXion" as the "Mabool" of post-hardcore :loco:

Now you're speaking my language. Bloody hell, now I'm intrigued again. :loco:

Hot, meet Cold. :loco:

is this better than OK Computer? because that's what i'm listening to right now.

i'm guessing no.

okay but i'm totally not regretting turning off Karma Police to listen to this, good stuff and hooray for a good bassist!

what album is this from? i'm nearly sold.