The Ocean - Aeolian

I really liked that song too. A couple of the others I thought were especially good are "The Greatest Bane" and "Isla Del Sol". I love the production on this album.

i used to play the clarinet.

yeah this is really cool. i sorta have enough CDs for awhile so hopefully in a month or two i'll remember this.

All those string arrangements, melodies, dynamics, kettle drums, the turkish flute thing (that WHOLE goddam section between 2:30 and 6:30) is fucken unruly.

Actually I can see the whole "Mabool" reference now, haha!

Is it better than OK Computer? :loco:

Hey did anyone see the new Q magazine? They did this 5 year long survey or something to pick the best 100 albums of ALL TIME (by the general public).

#1? Yep, you guessed it, OK Computer.
#2? The Bends!

#10? Kid A.

Fucking hell, I'm not sure of any other band (other than the Beatles) that gets soooo much admiration. Still, tough to argue with OK Computer.

Ellestin said:
"Tonight we Celebrate the Human Staaaaaain" *growls* :kickass:

YES YES YES! That whole part leading up to it is just astounding.

Now you fuckers are going to tell me that "The Human Strain" is the only song on the album that sounds anything like this right? :tickled:

huh. well, i loooooooooove Radiohead, but i'm not sure any other than OK Computer deserve that high of praise. and my personal favorite is Kid A.

okay now that's just goofy. you simply cannot put the Beatles below Radiohead, the math simply doesn't line up.

edit: whoops.

Guys, this is excellent. Excellent basslines, clean vox, hard vox, just a good mix. I think I prefer "The Human Strain" slightly more (just because of all the ambience/orchestra stuff) but this song is really good too.

Fuck me, maybe I should listen to Mastodon again? :loco:

EDIT] And even more seriously because I spoke to guitarist Roben about it: they're sort of frustrated that people keep falling into the trap of comparing them to Mastodon, Messhuggah or even Isis when none of these bands have had any influence on the way they write their music. He thinks (and I think) that people simply don't make the effort and grab the first "easy" reference at hand and that's it.
Bah, artists say that stuff frequently. You can't tell me that a Mastodon comparison isn't totally called for on a track like "The Greatest Bane". It's clear as can be. And anytime a band plays this style, they're always gonna get the Neurosis/Isis comparisons. If for no other reason than because there's no fucking name for this style. They may not be the only comparisons that fit, but fit they do. On fluXion, anyway.

"FluXion" sounds nowhere remotely close to anything Isis has ever produced.

I agree that it's typical for artists to try and distantiate themselves from their "colleagues", but in the case of The Ocean I think it's completely justified. I don't get the Mastodon and Meshuggah likeness either, honestly.

JayKeeley said:
Guys, this is excellent. Excellent basslines, clean vox, hard vox, just a good mix. I think I prefer "The Human Strain" slightly more (just because of all the ambience/orchestra stuff) but this song is really good too.

Fuck me, maybe I should listen to Mastodon again? :loco:
Buy this AND Mastodon--I love that shit. Who knows, maybe you'd like this album. Like I said, I'd rate it as good. But the longer, dynamic songs like the two uploaded and "The Greatest Bane" worked the best for me. At any rate, you might check willowtip for this. That's where I got it and I think I remember seeing it on a recent email update. And while you're at it--they have those Atheist reissues. (Or at least, had them). Pick up Piece of Time.

Ellestin said:
"FluXion" sounds nowhere remotely close to anything Isis has ever produced.

I agree that it's typical for artists to try and distantiate themselves from their "colleagues", but in the case of The Ocean I think it's completely justified. I don't get the Mastodon and Meshuggah likeness either, honestly.
I'm not making Meshuggah comparisons, but check out "The Greatest Bane" at 4:00 in. Doesn't sound similar to Mastodon to you? And out of curiosity, are you a fan of Mastodon?