The Ocean - Aeolian

Eminor said:
Doesn't sound similar to Mastodon to you? And out of curiosity, are you a fan of Mastodon?

I like "Remission". Not too crazy about it though. I'm sure I can find isolated Burzum patterns in Gojira's music if I try hard :loco:

Anyway, here's how Robin sums it up:

Isis, Meshuggah and Mastodon - that's three completely different sounding bands. If people think we sound like a mix of those three -- let them do so

JayKeeley said:
Woah 15Mb file...thanks for the high quality!!

*downloading*

Justin - I assume you bought this mofo? How would you rate it overall?

I don't actually own the CD, but I have all the songs on mp3 format. And yes, overall the album is stunning. I don't know if I've listened to it enough to give it the traditional /10 rating, but let's just say that if you enjoyed these tracks, you should definitely buy the record. The first track is especially awesome... it's one of those instrumental "overture" tracks, clocking in at about 5 minutes, it's instrumental bliss somewhat similar to the opening to The Who's "Tommy" (though sounding vastly different, obviously). And the final track is a 14 minute EPIC called "The Greatest Bane". And that's all I will say for now, other than the fact that, if you're going to revisit Mastodon, be sure to crank "Hearts Alive" up to 11. Best song of 2004, probably. The rest of the album is on a lower plane, albeit pretty good. But... wow.

http://myspace.com/theoceancollective

Both from the new one. First is from the longest cd a.k.a the real new one and the second from Aeolian/Fluxion sessions but lifted. The cd with 'old' tracks is the first, you can feel the difference but not really; anyway they're on the same album :loco:

Btw I think this is good :kickass:

Glad you like it. It seems from the preview that they have condensed their style without losing the trademark which I like. It could be argued that the formula hasn't changed that much but I'm sure the full album has its' share of surprises. Is there anyone going to the London show btw? Question is valid for Envy and well.. other shows as well. I don't mind going alone but who knows which faggot I could come across, plus it'd be cool to meet someone on the board. Drop a PM or something.

Anyone have a copy of Aeolian they'd be willing to part with for a good price? I'd like to give it another go when I get Precambrian. :loco:

They are influenced by Breach to the point of being Breach in more than one part. Then I'll grant you that the shadow of Neurosis crawls behind about 99% of new bands in the hardcore scene. But sorry, I still fail to notice any likeness to Isis in their music. Someday I'll try to translate and post my interview with guitarist Robin where he makes the latter point absolutely clear.

Yeah seriously, BREACH. Some parts are just a tribute it's not even funny - but good :p