The "Offical" story on the DVD sound issue

Sep 20, 2002
Oakland, Ca
www.nylonorgy.com
Hey gang,

After 3 sleepless nights and a million phone calls I finally got to the bottom of our DVD problem.

It turns out that when the show was being transfered from the computer editing suite to tape, somehow the one of the software settings got changed. The show was split into 2 parts, as to be put on 2, 90 minute tapes to be shipped to the DVD manufacturer. When the show was "cut" in half, for some mysterious reason, the first half of the shows 2 channel stereo audio tracks reverted to their default panning which is straight up and down. So that it became a 2 channel stereo mix summed to mono as oppossed to a 2 ch. stereo mix. You really can't tell this unless you are sitting right in front of the speakers or listening to it on head phones. This caused the audio to sound muffled and cut out a lot of the definition and clarity. It wasn't caught by anyone, which sucks, but no one person can be blamed for this problem. At least 10 people heard this audio before it was pressed but no one realised that there as a problem. Ultimately I take full responsibility for this as Producer of the project; to be honest when that transfer was beiong made the audio was turned way down...I had heard the show so many times over the 3 months of editing that I was sick of hearing it. After that, it was shipped. I did receive a reference copy but watched only part of it and my system was in Pro-Logic at the time so I didn't notice there was a problem.

So there is no need to point fingers at anyone for this mistake.

Inside/Out, Myself and everyone involved is commited to rectifying this problem and putting out a quality product for all of you fans. We apologize for any inconvienance this might have caused and ask that you be patient. This will be fixed!

As soon as we have the new realease date we will be letting you know.

For those who have purchased a copy already, either: take it back to where you bought it for a refund or wait until the new version comes out and then take it back for a replacement copy.

Thanks for being understanding and supporting us through this!

Doug

P.S. BTW...The CD rocks!:headbang:

Hi Doug,
thanx for the quick statement!
We have been waiting for such a long time for this release, so this delay won't cause a real problem! :)
I got my German DVD today and I sent it back recently to Amazon-Germany; I think there won't be a problem.
I'm still looking forward to the dvd because the setlist is tremendous!
Greetings from Freising nearby Munich/Germany!

See you soon on tour!

Thomas
:headbang:

:yuk: Whoops... there you go again... it's the ghost in the machine once again. Can you imagine the look on our faces :OMG: when we first heard the sound, it was kinda fumbling like mad on the Receiver and the DVD settings :confused: only to find out that the kickass sound remained somewhere on Dougie's masters, lol. :worship:

So, Doug, how do we stupid Europeans who have already bought the DVD get a decent one. Amazon is not going to take the DVD back once it's been opened. :cry: And InsideOut will probably just back off and shake their heads, too. So it's up to your influence to make it happen, I'm afraid.

(In fact neither Amazaon nor InsideOut have disappointed me. So I guess I have to apologize for not believing in their integrity... shame on me)

We were really looking forward to the release, and musically you are still way ahead of anything in the prog scene, can't really wait for another studio effort and the chance of more joint compositions with contributions of the others. ToW set a new mark, one would say tough to do better but that's what I felt when I got Break a few years ago... :headbang:

Please solve that problem, anyway will do...

Tada..

Thanks so much for the straight info Doug!!
I can barely IMAGINE how much this has stressed you out, man.

Ultimately, it's just one of those things that happens.
("Why does it happen? Because it happens.... roll the bones..." :cool: )
Really no one needs to point a finger at anyone. At the worst, some folks are dissapointed we will be getting the DVD a little later - it's still coming out so no real harm done at all.

You and the boys ROCK, man. We'll be waiting for the announcement when the DVD is ready to go!

----> And by the way - Docprog - just get in touch with Amazon - I am almost sure that they will take back the DVD since it is defective. That return policy about it being opened has to do with just changing your mind about keeping a product. And I know cause I have done this - I got a copy of Michael Mann's MANHUNTER when it was first released on DVD (in a limited edition I might add) and the disc had weird parts that didn't play right. Was pretty sure it was the DVD but in all truthfullness, it could have been (in retrospect) the DVD player I had at the time. I emailed Amazon - they wrote me back within A DAY - replacement was in the mail on its way to me, and all I had to do was use the return label to send back the bad one.

Problem solved.

I figure it should be the same thing in this case too.

Thanks a lot Doug. We fans appreciate your great efforts in rectifying the problems ASAP. Enchant is the bestest band in the world. You guys all deserve cheers and beers after this.

Call me weird but I like it better that the DVD is pushed back a little, because now we can get saturated aurally with the CDs and then in the near future, get our visual fill on the DVD. Kinda like having your Birthday and Xmas (or Hanukkah or Kwaza..) two months apart. Much better than having your Birthday & Winter Religious Holiday on the same day (maybe I should just shut up!!!).

Hope all the Europeans that bought the DVD early, have good luck in replacing the defective originals.

Take care

DocProg said:
:yuk: Whoops... there you go again... it's the ghost in the machine once again. Can you imagine the look on our faces :OMG: when we first heard the sound, it was kinda fumbling like mad on the Receiver and the DVD settings :confused: only to find out that the kickass sound remained somewhere on Dougie's masters, lol. :worship:

So, Doug, how do we stupid Europeans who have already bought the DVD get a decent one. Amazon is not going to take the DVD back once it's been opened. :cry: And InsideOut will probably just back off and shake their heads, too. So it's up to your influence to make it happen, I'm afraid.

We were really looking forward to the release, and musically you are still way ahead of anything in the prog scene, can't really wait for another studio effort and the chance of more joint compositions with contributions of the others. ToW set a new mark, one would say tough to do better but that's what I felt when I got Break a few years ago... :headbang:

Please solve that problem, anyway will do...

Tada..
Actually InsideOut were very good with the replacement discs for the Transatlatic DVD, they sent them out pretty quickly and threw in a couple of promo and complitaion cds to boot.

Folks,

I understand you hold the flag of Amazon or InsideOut high, but I wouldn't tell you if I didn't doubt it.

With Amazon...they seem to have sent me what I ordered and have not yet answered my e-m@il, I might be asking a little too much, but somehow I think at least the German Amazons will not accept the return of the DVD.

With InsideOut...I really appreciated the Transatlantic solution, can they do it again??

And to the guys in the band...

You rock :wave:

I wrote to amazon, no reply yet. But I'm very, very sure that they will take back the DVD. Why do you think they don't? You have the right to return it.

Will this be like a 'one month to wait' thing... or like 6 months..

any kind of time-table on this?

I mean all that should need to occur is a new data transfer and actual CD manufacturing...

how long will this be?

Not being a kiss-ass here but thanks to Doug and Insidide Out for doing the right thing.
Doug, I'm really sorry this happened. But at least you all are not handling the way your peers Dream Theater/Elektra are handling their new DVD. There are major Surround sound issues with their release and it is being handled in a secretive way. If you know you have a bad DVD and you are aware of some buried message on Portnoy.com you can find a hint on how to get a replacement. As far as the DVDs still on the shelves. Well, nothing is happening with them. It appears that all involved are hoping most users don't notice the defect. Will there be a second printing or not?? Who knows. So a guy like me that does not yet own a copy has no idea what to do.

I had the same procedure with the RUSH-DVD. I still think that the sound of this Disk ist messed up (too loud fans, too much echo). I wrote that amazon and there was no problem: I got money and the delivery costs back.
To the Germans: There is a dialogue in the help section...if you follow that, I guess it will work.

BrianD said:
But at least you all are not handling the way your peers Dream Theater/Elektra are handling their new DVD. There are major Surround sound issues with their release and it is being handled in a secretive way. If you know you have a bad DVD and you are aware of some buried message on Portnoy.com you can find a hint on how to get a replacement.
Right after the problem was discovered, there was a STICKY at the top of the main forum page for I don't know HOW long concerning the DVD problem and an email address to write to at Rhino to request your replacement.

:confused:

Seemed pretty obvious to me.....

:hotjump:

Hey, folks,

thank you for believing in Amazon, now I'm a believer, too. They sent me an e-m@il that they will definetely take back the DVD, although it has been opened. And this is by far the best news I got today.

And this almost makes me forget about the bug in the sound.

Has anyone thought about how Doug and Ed as regular visitors here and the other guys must have felt when they had to find out their live performance sounded worse than an old 45 mono turntable. That sucked. o_O

Are there any plans to fly over the great divide in the near future? By coming to your gigs in larger numbers we could help paying for that mess. :yell:

Still I think that a 5.1 mix would have suited the event even more but then again, studio time is expensive, but it made the difference with the other concerts I have got (Rush, Queensryche, Metallica, Scorpions...)

(ICANTWAITANYLONGERTOGETTHEREALDVD) :headbang:

DocProg said:
:hotjump:

Hey, folks,

thank you for believing in Amazon, now I'm a believer, too. They sent me an e-m@il that they will definetely take back the DVD, although it has been opened. And this is by far the best news I got today.

GREAT news man - I am glad my faith in Amazon was justified and you made out alright. :D

Burke said:
Right after the problem was discovered, there was a STICKY at the top of the main forum page for I don't know HOW long concerning the DVD problem and an email address to write to at Rhino to request your replacement.

:confused:

Seemed pretty obvious to me.....

No offense, but I think you are either being naive or you have your "Dream Theater Rules" blinders on. It ain't a sticky now is it. If you happen to buy a copy in the past couple weeks you'd have to hunt through both dreamtheat.net and portnoy.com for information. And, I think you'll see, at this point it's buried. Not only that, my biggest complaint is, for a guy like me that REALLY wants to see that DVD, you have know idea when or if good products will hit the shelves.

BrianD said:
No offense, but I think you are either being naive or you have your "Dream Theater Rules" blinders on. It ain't a sticky now is it. If you happen to buy a copy in the past couple weeks you'd have to hunt through both dreamtheat.net and portnoy.com for information. And, I think you'll see, at this point it's buried. Not only that, my biggest complaint is, for a guy like me that REALLY wants to see that DVD, you have know idea when or if good products will hit the shelves.
Well I can't speak for DT.net cause I never go there.

As far as Mike's site is concerned, there's always the search function - use it, its helpful. And as for 'Dream Theater Rules', I am definitely a fan but I haven't been as happy with their newer stuff, so I am not some blind DT zombie following the pack like you might possibly be trying to paint me. Your 'naive' comment - how does that have anything to do with what we're talking about - I said it was a sticky for weeks after the DVD came out - was I lying? No. That's a fact. They just reconfigured the site over the past week which changed things - not much I can do about that. Sorry that you couldn't find the info you needed when you wanted it (Seriously).

And as for your final comment - dude, it's been that way forever - 'you have no idea when or if good products hit the shelves?'
Ummm - if you'll remember before the internet, it was just a bit worse. So be glad you can find out the info you can so quickly nowadays. (there was a time when you had to actually sit down and physically write a letter and wait weeks to sort out the kind of problem you now have answered within a day..)

All that stuff aside, we found out there was a problem with the Live At Last DVD and no more than a few days later, we know the cause and the fact that the problem is being recitified - and directly from the band. Pretty damn sweet. And trust me - wait till you see the final product. It was an AMAZING show NO ONE wil be dissapointed. :kickass:

I feel frankly relieved and grateful to the band and Doug for their honesty and effort on this DVD, since I bought Dark Tranquillity's Damage Done with a real damage done on it (first track savagely cut at the end) and it is really vexing. Besides, the shop refused to take any responsibility for the mistake (when, I believe, they are perceiving a benefit anyway, so they MUST assume that responsibility), leaving me alone on sending the copy back to Germany if I wanted this mistake to be fixed.

Fortunately, I haven't purchased for Live At Last yet, so I'll wait for Doug and the guys to fix this up. Thanks again, this means a lot and keeps the clean sheet for Enchant. You're great, guys!!

|ng.

That sucks big time... for us, the fans, and even moreso for you, the band. I was really looking forward to purchasing it this week... kind of a lucky coincidence the shops I visited didn't have it. ;)
But well, now I'm pumped for the final release date... can't... wait... any... longer! :loco: