The official movie thread

I didn't have much expectations on Inglorious Basterds but I heard very good critics about it... Maybe I should give it a chance.

One of the films I watched recently was "In Weiter Ferne, so Nah", which is the sequel of "Der Himmel über Berlin". I really like "Der Himmel...", one of my favourites but I can't say the same of its sequel. It's not bad but nothing like the first one. At first it kind of is, with interesting dialogues, monologues, etc, which I really like a film to have, but then, after a certain event, it turns into something completely different and loses its charm and depth, in fact becomes a bit boring. In spite of that, it had its good moments, good music as the first one and very nice photography. It has the participation of Lou Reed, like in the first one there was Nick Cave, and one of the actresses is the woman who sings in U2's "Stay (far away, so close!)", like the name of the movie. Also, there is Natassja Kinski, who is one of the angels... she looks very sweet.

Another one I watched is Sonbahar. Not great but not bad either. If the story were a bit more developed, it would have been better I think. Some beautiful scenery, like the dock and the sea which resembles "Requiem for a dream"'s dock. Some scenes at that dock are very much like Requiem's.

And finally, "Tystnaden", one of Bergman's I still had to watch. I liked it very much, specially Ingrid Thulin's role as the sick sister, was very good, she interpreted it perfectly in my opinion, you really feel her. Plus, the black and white... I really love b&w films.

And finally, "Tystnaden", one of Bergman's I still had to watch. I liked it very much, specially Ingrid Thulin's role as the sick sister, was very good, she interpreted it perfectly in my opinion, you really feel her. Plus, the black and white... I really love b&w films.

i just have to quote this since i really love bergman’s movies (and stumble rarely upon someone who actually loves/knows them properly, except the most famous ones like ‘the seventh seal’… - well, i wouldn’t say that one is really famous, either, but you get the point).

i agree with you, ingrid thulin makes you really feel empathy for her character. you feel the tension between her and her sister and the overall atmosphere throughout the film is disquieting and sombre.

what i enjoyed the most were the scenes with the little boy - when he wanders through hotel’s corridors. i found the meeting with the bizarre dwarfs’ gang really…curious. tender, but creepy as well.

the quote you have in your sig. is from 'persona', isn't it? :)

°scarlet°;8586412 said:
i just have to quote this since i really love bergman’s movies (and stumble rarely upon someone who actually loves/knows them properly, except the most famous ones like ‘the seventh seal’… - well, i wouldn’t say that one is really famous, either, but you get the point).

i agree with you, ingrid thulin makes you really feel empathy for her character. you feel the tension between her and her sister and the overall atmosphere throughout the film is disquieting and sombre.

what i enjoyed the most were the scenes with the little boy - when he wanders through hotel’s corridors. i found the meeting with the bizarre dwarfs’ gang really…curious. tender, but creepy as well.

the quote you have in your sig. is from 'persona', isn't it? :)

What you said. I also love Bergman's movies. "Persona" is my favourite (the quote is from it, indeed), and "The Seventh Seal" is on the list too.
I also really like Liv Ullmann.

About Tystnaden, I enjoyed the scenes with the boy too, some where funny and bizarre, like the encounters with the dwarfs as you said or the old man... I felt quite sorry for the boy at times, being a kind of witness of the weird situation going on between his mother and his aunt... Very good movie, I liked it.

Hello Martijn! I come and go... but I'm fine! Thanks. And so are you for what I've seen... (;

i think my favority is most definitly The Fountain, despite everytime i watch, i keep expecting iron claws pop out from Hugh jackmans hand. And it has a awesome soundtrack too.

^ Re-Animator is awesome, Stuart Gordon is one of my favorite horror directors. I like From Beyond a lot more than Re-Animator though. I have Castle Freak on order as well.

A great movie that people on a Katatonia forum may enjoy is Let the Right One In. It's a Swedish vampire flick about a young boy who meets a vampire, and a sort of unorthodox love story ensues. It's a beautifully made film that really gets you thinking, and is definitely one of the best vampire movies ever. The acting from the two kids in the movie is incredible considering their age, especially since neither of them came from acting backgrounds. It's definitely a must see.

Also for the intense horror fans/ gorehounds, check out the movie Inside. It's a french horror film that is a complete treat for shock fans. It's a slasher flick made with a sort of art-house flair, and the imagery is unlike any movie I've ever watched. One of the best villains ever as well. Not for people with weak stomachs though, I've seen hundreds of horror films and this one gets me every time.

Thats a great movie :p kinda messed up tho

Yea, heh, very messed up. I think it was great because the movie could have been "just another sci-fi flick", but made it more interesting because it seemed realistic in so many ways. Sure, it's far fetched, but not THAT far fetched. Loved it.

"let the right one in" that would be the last foreign I've watched

Did you like it?
The book (as always) is way better according "the readers". Cause there's a lot of things you can't understand in the movie if you haven't read the book.