The Opeth Countdown, Revisited ('09 Edition)

^:sarcasm: OC. Definetly not agreeing with, Credence, Amen or epilouge, more D1 songs would´ve been on my list by now, anyway keep em comming :D

I love Credence but really only because it's an Opeth song that's easy to play on the guitar, and the drums on it are noisy and...well just terrible, I guess I see where you're coming from.

The main difference for me from this list is that even though the "meh" instrumentals don't stand well on their own, I personally would rather sit through a "meh" 1 minute instrumental than listen to a "meh" 10 minute track like April Ethereal, In Mist She Was Standing, or Porcelain Heart when songs like When, Under the Weeping Moon, and Hessian Peel are just a click away. Not that I dislike any Opeth music, but, for example, For Absent Friends, if it's going to keep me from skipping to Masters Apprentices without being some masterpiece, well it better be short.

Porcelain Heart have nice parts come one, but in my opinion I think they don't fit together as much to do an awesome song like the others on the watershed album.

This thread is turning into a flame bait thread, can't believe its still up :devil: :Spam:

I think most songs have a thread already about them... shouldn't this go there? It's like a different version of the Opeth best song polls but only one guy gets to do it this time.

I think it's interesting to see repeat threads once in a while really; one time I was looking way back at threads from like 2002 just because I was curious what some old Opeth setlists looked like and I found some "best of ____ album" polls and thought it was pretty interesting how thoughts have developed. The biggest instance of this was on Morningrise, I believe Black Rose Immortal won a poll for best on Morningrise by quite a bit, yet on a recent song survivor poll, it was voted out before Advent, TNATSW and TBYF.

Well that was kinda irrelevant.

#55 - Patterns in the Ivy

not really a substantial song but pleasant enough. i don't really have jack shit to say about this one

#54 - Hex Omega

one of the band's least inspired metal songs. the opening riff is actually pretty cool, i like it, but then as soon as it goes into the verses i fall asleep immediately. the ending is ok i suppose but idk, i just feel opeth could have done a little better with this one

#53 - Ending Credits

a nice little ditty, i like this actually, again not really a full-fledged song but it does its job. a little bit shallow perhaps (for opeth) but it's rather nice i suppose

#52 - For Absent Friends

definitely the best of opeth's "interlude" tracks. i can't really rank it much higher because of its length and relative unimportance, but it's a little moment of zen

#51 - Porcelain Heart

wtf is with the main riff, it blows and it is an obvious rewrite of the riff from the grand conjuration (which wasn't good enough to be rewritten in the first place). other than that this song isn't terrible, i mean the lyrics are embarrassing at times ("wallowed in shame") but the lullaby part for example is pretty awesome. idk what to think about this song, i mean it's not really original at all but it sounds pretty decent while it's on. all in all it's one of opeth's weaker songs but i still listen to it sometimes

#54 - Hex Omega

one of the band's least inspired metal songs. the opening riff is actually pretty cool, i like it, but then as soon as it goes into the verses i fall asleep immediately. the ending is ok i suppose but idk, i just feel opeth could have done a little better with this one

Just proof that taste is subjective. This is actually one of my favorite tracks off of Watershed (Behind Heir Apparent). Overall though, cool thread. I'm really enjoying hearing your opinions. Keep 'em coming! :headbang: