The photography thread

But what do you mean with "too little comprehensible meaning and structure"?

People like to be able to see patterns and make sense of them. They like to see new information that's in some way relevant to them.

The photos you showed are generally well composed but there's just a ton of visual information in terms of various colors and details that is a bit hard to "read" and even if you spend some time looking at them all you can see is some unknown place that's quite messy and oddly colorful... not relevant for most people.

Edit: Let's keep posting photos. Here's a street shot that got published in 1x:

"ME and My Expectations"

I've also found the 32 bit HDR method in photoshop a couple of days ago, so i think i'm gonna try that out.

But first i'm gonna have to fix that photoshop/LR/ACR stuff on my pc before that works properly.

I stumbled upon an old Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm f/1.7 lens for 2 euros at a flea market yesterday and thought I'd bring it home to have a look at. It's dirty as hell, but oh well, it's probably been sitting in a dusty storage room for a couple of decades now. My camera is an old, trusty EOS 400D (Rebe XTi in the US?), so obviously it's not compatible. I got bored, though, so I took the lens apart, replaced the aperture mechanism with a shoddy "stepless" one with an old paper clip and butchered my old 18-55mm kit lens to convert the Minolta to be used in place of an EF lens. There's a 0.5mm difference in the flange distance, so it's a bitch to get in focus, and considering the ridiculously crappy 400D's viewfinder, it's even harder. But hey, it works, and for a 2€ lens it actually looks pretty decent! I tried it out quickly, here a some quick snaps. Need to take it out later tonight to give it a proper spin.

itsuli%202.jpg

miltsi.jpg

puu.jpg

lenksu.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys! :)
@jipchen
wow, very nice and breathtaking shots of my "neighborhood"
here is my version of the obersee shot ;)
lg aus Salzburg nach München
Chris
Ha, nice - my girlfriend and I thought about a trip to Salzburg but the weather was superbad most of our time in Berchtesgaden so we got the hell out after we froze our asses off in the tent for about a week :ill: My gf studied in Salzburg, we still visit friends there every now and then.

@Jarkko: Good find! 2 Euros and some work isn't bad at all and it looks like it's a nice lens. The cheapest comparable lens I can think of is the Canon 50mm 1.8 and it's about 60€ used, you can't really focus it manually and the bokeh sucks ass.

Only posting this because it came out surprisingly usable all things considered, it doesn't come close to some of the stuff on here. Facebook banner we did on a Samsung Galaxy 4:

smaller.jpg

Actually I'd be super receptive to feedback on this if anyone has any thoughts.

The guy on the left also needs a snapback.

arvoitus, these are much much better.! I especially like the first, fifth and last. Well composed!

edit: moar photos:

@arvoitus
your pictures are awesome, they look really great, exactly as jipchen set, lots of details but more natural looking colors and great depth and mood

awesome!!

Great shots in here, in particular on the last couple of pages -
jipchen and exoslime: awesome landscapes!
soundlurker: Great portraits. Soft and detailed at the same time.
arvoitus: 2,6 and 9 are better with your latest processing.
Ashgarth: Nice star shots!
Here are some of mine from the last few months.

5.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

I purchased a D3200 on Tuesday. So far I have found that I am terrible. :lol: Messed about with the auto settings and quickly wanted to move past that because I was having a hard time getting the camera to focus on what I wanted unless it was a landscape.

So dove into manual and still learning, seems like another hobby you learn by doing a lot (well and checking out what other people are doing).

Also I need to pick up software and don't want to spend a fuck load on it so suggestions?

@Loren
Set to center autofocus, hold shutter halfway, move camera horizontally if you don't want the subject centered then press fully. Do that or go with manual focus.

Get to grips with how aperture, ISO and shutter speed work together. Figure out when to ignore the light meter.

Free alternative to lightroom is RawTherapee. Only downside to it is lack of brush tool and browsing presets is clunky.