The photography thread

Get the standard $125 50mm f/1.8 and learn shooting prime, it'll take you a long way. I only have experience with the Canon version, but AFAIK they're pretty identical. Great for portraits and the image quality is way beyond the price tag.

Yep can't go wrong with a 50 (they're $109 at B&H).
Another option would be the 35mm f/1.8 for < $200.

I think the 3200 is a 1.5 crop factor, so the 55mm is really 75mm, and the 35mm is 52.5mm

I'm also a Canon guy and as Jarkko says, the image quality of the 50mm is very good for the price.

The fiddy sounds good, should I just shell for the newer one? I see the older one is like right around a hundred, but the newer one is like $220?

I only have the kit lens (18-55mm f3.5-5.6)

Specifically referencing these lenses:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766516-USA/Nikon_2199_AF_S_Nikkor_50mm_f_1_8G.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247091-GREY/Nikon_2137_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html

Also why are these so much more expensive?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/585343-USA/Nikon_2180_AF_S_Nikkor_50mm_f_1_4G.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/97413-USA/Nikon_1902_AF_Nikkor_50mm_f_1_4D.html

The 2 cheaper 50's - one's a "G" and one's a "D"
Arguably, image quality is better on the $200 (G) one vs. the $100 one (D).

The $400 one vs the $200 one- max aperture is 1.4 vs 1.8, probably faster & quieter AF, and probably better glass.

<edit>
Internet comment - take it for what it's worth:

Pros for D:

Sharper (imperceptibly)
Cheaper (refurb version is half the price of the G right now)
Lighter (slightly)
Significantly less distorted than the G, or any other lens I own
Hard infinity stop, perfect for night shooting landscapes
Aperture ring for compatibility with old film cameras
Relatively common 52mm filter size
More useful DOF scale
Vivid sunstars (as a result of non-rounded aperture blades)

Pros for G:

Easier to manually focus
Faster autofocus
Much quieter autofocus (D is loud and irritating)
Slightly more pleasing colors direct-from-camera (if that matters)
Significantly better bokeh
Newer design is more compatible with certain dSLRs
No aperture ring makes it less cluttered and harder to screw up
Better build quality (D feels cheap)
No messing with camera AF/M switch to manually focus

Conclusions:

The D is better for landscapes and panoramas, due to hard infinity stop and nonexistent distortion. The G is better for street shooting or portraits, due to much better bokeh and easier / quieter operation.

With that said, both are excellent for everything - these are minor differences.

Yeah great photos but those eyebrows lol. Looks awful.

It's a love it or hate it thing, no need to be an arrogant ass about it. Believe it or not plenty of people love her whole look but more importantly she has the guts to stick to her identity despite the numerous narrow-minded and/or judgmental pricks on the internet.

The fiddy sounds good, should I just shell for the newer one? I see the older one is like right around a hundred, but the newer one is like $220?

I only have the kit lens (18-55mm f3.5-5.6)

Specifically referencing these lenses:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766516-USA/Nikon_2199_AF_S_Nikkor_50mm_f_1_8G.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247091-GREY/Nikon_2137_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html

Also why are these so much more expensive?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/585343-USA/Nikon_2180_AF_S_Nikkor_50mm_f_1_4G.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/97413-USA/Nikon_1902_AF_Nikkor_50mm_f_1_4D.html
You have a D3200, right? Well, the 1.8D and 1.4D versions don't have a AF motor in the lens, so you will need a body with a AF motor (your D3200 doesn't have one). So you automatically need the 1.8G version, if you want to use AF (ofcourse you want).

The major difference between the 1.4g and 1.8g is the price and the 2/3 stop more light. But the 1.8G is cheaper, sharper, has better control of flare/ghosting/etc. The 1.8G is just a better lens then the 1.4G, at half the price.

I've bought the 1.8G two years ago, and it's a great lens.

It's a love it or hate it thing, no need to be an arrogant ass about it. Believe it or not plenty of people love her whole look but more importantly she has the guts to stick to her identity despite the numerous narrow-minded and/or judgmental pricks on the internet.

I dont think he said that in a arrogant way. I said before but my post disappeared without reason. The quality of photos are not in question but I find her very, very ugly. Looks like a witch.

Anyway, every one has the right to have his own opinion,if people can't deal with it with and later they change, that doesnt show a strong conviction in their own decisions.

I dont think he said that in a arrogant way. I said before but my post disappeared without reason. The quality of photos are not in question but I find her very, very ugly. Looks like a witch.

Anyway, every one has the right to have his own opinion,if people can't deal with it with and later they change, that doesnt show a strong conviction in their own decisions.

There are also basic rules of politeness in the way you express your opinion mate. Nobody forces you to be civil but that's always appreciable.

Dude... Fuck.

There are also basic rules of politeness in the way you express your opinion mate. Nobody forces you to be civil but that's always appreciable.

Agree with you 100% I didnt mentioned but that is a inerent limitation to the freedom of speech. But I was being especific about crillemannen statement. I cant see arrogance or an offence in what he said.

Ok I retire myself, probably the word "witch" was already an ofense in many eyes. Or I am heartless bastard or people are too sensitive here. Calm down, I get out of here.

I saw your post last week and I'm not surprised it was removed.

Do you think anyone gives a shit if you don't find her attractive? NO!

This thread is for discussing photography, post some photos or gtfo

Arrogant ass, really? Is it your girlfriend or what? haha. C'mon i could have spelled it out much worse. Having trouble when people speak their mind?

I still think the photos you take look good, but take a chill pill. Peace!

I think you guys aren't taking into account that Nuno doesn't have command of the English language quite as well as some of us. TBH I think he is having a hard time conveying what he wants to say without coming across like an ass.

And yes D3200, I have already decided on the 1.8g just through reading about them. The 1.8 actually gets better reviews than the 1.4

Arrogant ass, really? Is it your girlfriend or what? haha. C'mon i could have spelled it out much worse. Having trouble when people speak their mind?

I still think the photos you take look good, but take a chill pill. Peace!

Could you please compare your statement with what ~BURNY~ said? I'm not referring to the part where he says she's pretty, basically what he said about the eyebrows and more importantly how he said it. It's OK if you don't like something, you're perfectly entitled to your opinion and taste, but shitting on everyone else's with statements like " lol. Looks awful." is not to be tolerated and is certainly against this forum's code of conduct. It takes minimum effort to paraphrase what you said in a way that isn't disrespecful to other people.

Asking if she's my girlfriend just shows how incapable you are of realizing that your words reach people who are very much real and do not only exist in the internet for your entertainment. Would you honestly say you'd be OK with me pointing out every "awful" thing I hear in your clients and friends' music. "Cool mix but the vocal is so retarded" or "Nice work but the band's awful", etc, based solely on personal preference and disregarding any possibility that their style could be of value to other people.

Don't think Nuno's posts deserve a reply, really. He's been in my ignore list and the forum is a better place for it.

^^

You really seem to be taking this way to serious. I don't think I was harsh just stated an opinion like i said. And I can admit that it would have been way worse if i would have said something about her nose, weight or whatever, something she/he can't affect. The eyebrows aren't hers,and if its a personal choice then people may criticize that, especially if you post it on a website, magazine etc. If you can't handle it then i guess the internetz isn't for you. Just ignore the comments you feel are to much for you to handle.

But whatever motive you chose to do you still take awesome pictures, over and out!

Yes, people may criticize and I may respond when their criticism is inappropriate. It seems like backwards thinking to me that I should have to ignore the comments when it makes much more sense for you to ignore my photos in the first place when you don't have anything meaningful or beneficial to say about them. And no, projecting your personal preference as some kind of end-all be-all guideline to beauty is not helpful in any way.

Man for a metal forum, I find a lot of sensitive people here.

I cant even understand how someones takes what I said as a offence. If I took some photos and if people said that the model in the photo was ugly. Why would I be upset? Man doesnt make any sense.

If I mix a band and someone says that the bands sucks donkeyball. Hell even more, even if people say that my mix sucks and I should look for another hobby. Why the hell should why be offended with opinions? They worth what they worth, it´s the people that should decide how opinions will afect them. I thinks this is representative as a analogy for what I am talking

Everyone has the ability to filtrate what is constructive or destructive but sure exists people that take some words too seriously.

Ok, with witch word I didnt said any much constructive, but man I was being honest. Seems that I am speaking to some very conservative persons of the past century. Reminds me of those persons who make a expression of shock when somebody says a word like "fuck"

I said of what I said and I know what was the meaning behind the words I said. If I wanted to be a cunt, I would show that with less words and no aditional posts. So everyone is also free to think whatever the fuck wants. It made me like a cunt? Oh well, so be it. Sometimes honest words can offend a lot o people, even if it wasnt to the mean to do it.