The photography thread

IMG_2016-Edit_2.jpg

Best photo I could ever achieve... iPhone 5/ on a plane... like a baws??? (Honestly you guys just make me jelly with how pretty your photos are haha)

10479056_10152328507638021_458356425296086089_n.jpg

Been a while since I've been out and done something like this, but wanted to go out in the fall again.

Fucking hate that I forgot my stand at home though. Didn't really get the sharpness up that much.

Especially in the first one, but I really liked the colors so I left it to try again sometime. Tried to sharpen it in PP, but yeah...shit in shit out :lol:

StMarx-1.jpg

StMarx-21.jpg

StMarx-2.jpg

StMarx-4.jpg

StMarx-7.jpg

StMarx-15.jpg

StMarx-17.jpg

(last one looks like it's sucking a dick. duhuhuhu)

I am a total beginner with this stuff. Mago's photo of the owl or hawk or whatever it is has inspired me - would love to photograph things like that, as well as some close ups of various stuff.

What would be a good set up for a beginner bearing in mind I have a strong preference for something reasonably compact. I just use my iPhone 6 atm and I'm guessing that is just not up to the job!

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Plendakor. Really like your stuff and reading a bit the Nikon D3200 (D3300) seems a great option to start out. And would leave a bit of cash for another lense down the track.

Was out in the bush the other weekend and I just couldn't do the scenery and wildlife justice with the iPhone. And then seeing this thread has kind of inspired me!

Why no more HDR ?
Love your HDRs, you're the one who inspired me to try it with your previous photos in this thread a few months back.

Well, i stopped using HDR because of two reasons:

1: I used 32bit hdr, and with my old laptop it took me around 10 or 20 minutes processing for one single picture. This was way too time consuming.
2: Most HDR photos are not great to look at, and I was trying to make my HDR shots to look as natural as possible. For example, this photo is a 32bit HDR shot:

This photo took me 30 or 45 minutes to complete (because of my old laptop), but these days i can easily achieve the same look with a single raw file in less then a minute.

This is the most recent series i shot:

These pictures have highlights (some with even clipped/unrecoverable highlights) and shadows, but everything whats important in the shot is still visible. HDR wouldn't give me any advantage, because a single raw file can deliver the above.

I still have to edit photos of a small mansion with a horrible lighting situation, and i might use HDR for that because i can't stretch a raw file that far to get what i want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smallstep